Leica Q2 Monochrom Survey

Interested in the Leica Q2 Monochrom?  

706 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in the Leica Q2 Monochrom?

• Yes, take my money!
    • Interested, but I'll wait and see
    • Exciting camera, but will not buy
    • Not interested

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Leica Guy said:

IMHO there’s no “going back to B&W”. It’s another dimension of the art form. A compliment. B&W focuses the viewer to look at the tonality of the image without the distraction of color. Especially with portraits, B&W sharpens the view of the character of the person. Every wrinkle, blemish, twinkle reflects an integral of their life experience. It’s a window into the soul of the subject. 

I’m not yet convinced the Q2M is the right purchase for me. I have my Q2 setup with a B&W view already because that facilitates using focus peaking in MF. I also enjoy the conversion to B&W in LR and being able to distinguish and adjust the tonality of individual colors in the original. Finally, the obvious advantage of the Q2M is high ISO performance. Significantly less noise than the Q2. Not as good as the M10M, which is the standard, but still much better than the Q2. 

The Q2M is a great addition to the Q family. 

Agree 100% with your B&W comments and I remember seeing some really good work you produced with (I think a borrowed) M10M and 35mm lens.  

The Q2M will be a tempting proposition, even for existing M10M users.  My M10M has the 50mm APO virtually glued to the camera 🙂 and I often used it alongside the Q2 - a perfect combination for my type of photography - but I think I can still find room for the Q2M when funds permit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds great from a technical perspective and especially for those who shoot B&W almost exclusively.  But that's not me - I want to be able to do either color or B&W depending on what I see.  And I don't want to drag along two cameras which would completely negate my main reasons for the Q2: small, handy, versatile, easy to travel with. I was impressed with the example photos in the review here, but as is most often the case, I'm going to bet 90% of the result was the photographer and not the camera.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2020 at 2:18 AM, rivi1969 said:

I have to agree. I have seen thousands of beautiful BW images taken with regular digital cameras and many so-so examples from monochromes.

For me is like buying a Rolex with only one hand.

Have you tired the MeisterSinger line of watches - single hand watches are out there and in some cases very expensive.

Definitely agree with Bullmoon (post 22) in that the photographer is 90 per cent of the look of the picture.  No doubt about that.  For me using the Q2M will not necessarily make my B/W images any “better” in the general sense.  It will make a difference to me in a very deep artistic sense.  It will bring up to the surface many different planes of feelings that are private to me in how I see the world around me.  There is inherent risk on this path.  As much as I love my Q2, using the Q2M may result in my abandoning the Q2 completely.  Time will tell.  I’ve always enjoyed black/white pictures from the M10M.  Something about clarity.  With color you have truth and deception - mixed together.  B/W is either/or.  It is this clarity of long ago I long for.  And the single focal length wide angle lens is the perfect vehicle to get there.  No switching lenses to get perspective.  I see it more as a journey - one where you never arrive at a destination.  

Edited by Leica28
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, Budfox said:

Have you tired the MeisterSinger line of watches - single hand watches are out there and in some cases very expensive.

I saw them, interesting approach like the blue Neo. They sell for $1000-1500 -not so expensive for a mechanical watch though.

19 hours ago, bullmoon said:

Sounds great from a technical perspective and especially for those who shoot B&W almost exclusively.  But that's not me - I want to be able to do either color or B&W depending on what I see.  And I don't want to drag along two cameras which would completely negate my main reasons for the Q2: small, handy, versatile, easy to travel with. I was impressed with the example photos in the review here, but as is most often the case, I'm going to bet 90% of the result was the photographer and not the camera.

100% agree. Well, except for the impressive sample photos. 

Edited by rivi1969

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, bullmoon said:

I find it somewhat distracting to shoot B&W with a color camera, as I am continually juggling color vs. B&W decisions. With a Monochrom, I am more focused and relaxed. A somewhat similar effect occurs to me when shooting with a prime vs. a zoom. As seen with Leica's designs, restricting choices can lead to better photographic experiences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I had been holding off getting a Q2 after learning that the Q2M was about to be announced. I primarily wanted the camera for monochrome. I was expecting to make a hard decision, thinking the 2 cameras would be equally priced, both having pros and cons. Considering the price difference, the decision was easy. I’ve had the Q2 a couple days now, still learning how to use it, my first FF digital camera coming from u4/3rds.

It can take stunning monochrome images. 

32 minutes ago, Virob said:

I had been holding off getting a Q2 after learning that the Q2M was about to be announced. I primarily wanted the camera for monochrome. I was expecting to make a hard decision, thinking the 2 cameras would be equally priced, both having pros and cons. Considering the price difference, the decision was easy. I’ve had the Q2 a couple days now, still learning how to use it, my first FF digital camera coming from u4/3rds.

It can take stunning monochrome images. 

Congrats on your Q2 and welcome to the Leicaverse :).

I guess I’m an outlier because I have M246 monochrom and only a single M lens these days (50 ‘lux) and Q2 but I also should be receiving my Q2M this week.

I used to shoot with the Sony RX1R II and if they’d had a monochrom version I’d have bought that back in the day before I transitioned to the Q2.

• Like 1

Regarding the colour versus b&w debate which has reared its head a few times in this thread, some piano players get interested in synthesisers for the unbelievable amount of colours that are suddenly at their fingertips. The player ends up with banks of keyboards and sound modulators, and spends most of his formerly creative time just trying to get on top of all the millions of new parameters that are available with his new system. One day he wakes up, sighs, and sits down at the piano, and writes the most beautiful music. The restricted pallet allows his creativity to flow freely. 

This scenario doesn't fit every keyboard player, of course, but it does for some. The piano will not die out, and neither will true b&w photography, whether film or digital. I hope Leica don't add too many bells and whistles to their future Monochrom cameras. I just want to, as it were, lift the lid and play. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, RobM said:

Regarding the colour versus b&w debate which has reared its head a few times in this thread, some piano players get interested in synthesisers for the unbelievable amount of colours that are suddenly at their fingertips. The player ends up with banks of keyboards and sound modulators, and spends most of his formerly creative time just trying to get on top of all the millions of new parameters that are available with his new system. One day he wakes up, sighs, and sits down at the piano, and writes the most beautiful music. The restricted pallet allows his creativity to flow freely. 

This scenario doesn't fit every keyboard player, of course, but it does for some. The piano will not die out, and neither will true b&w photography, whether film or digital. I hope Leica don't add too many bells and whistles to their future Monochrom cameras. I just want to, as it were, lift the lid and play. 

To confirm what RobM alluded to, as an experienced drummer, I've come across numerous electronic drumsets, including high-end ones. I always come back to acoustic drums. The wood, the hoops, the drumheads, the sound, the rebound and tactile feel. No electronic piece comes close. It's perhaps a forced analogy, yet it somehow resonates. For me that feeling is quite similar when it comes to monochrome and colour cameras. Hard to explain, easy to feel.

• Like 7

On 11/13/2020 at 3:18 PM, rivi1969 said:

I have to agree. I have seen thousands of beautiful BW images taken with regular digital cameras and many so-so examples from monochromes.

For me is like buying a Rolex with only one hand.

I agree.  Lots of mediocre photographers are using the monochrom cameras.

I would rather prefer changing lenses for more flexibility, and to justify the investment on the Leica system, a SL2 Monochrome would have been the solution to make me purchase a monochrome camera. I owned a 246 and was not satisfied with it 100% but SL2 monochrome would be just perfect for me.