Leica Q2 Monochrom - Image Thread

RobM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Eagerly awaiting more Q2Ms getting into their owners' hands and sending their pictures here.  One or two more that my Q2M couldn't resist taking.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Like 3

Photo of my wife sipping a coffee at the wharf in Leonardtown Maryland.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

my wife wanted a go - 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Craig Clark said:

nice!!! - some sun flare without sensor pattern noise, So it can be done...but will leave some disappointed as they have now one less justification for not getting this camera

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nwphil said:

nice!!! - some sun flare without sensor pattern noise, So it can be done...but will leave some disappointed as they have now one less justification for not getting this camera

Hah!  Indeed.  I think the picture below has a bit of the aforementioned pattern noise...but to be honest it doesnt bother me.  Every lens / sensor combo has its own personality...comes with the turf.  Some will be critical, others will find a way to embrace.  If people are looking for a reason to not buy the Q2M they shouldn't buy it.  Cameras are like music, theres something out there for everyone.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nwphil said:

nice grain @25000 iso - gives the bear a nicer fur look 😜

Yes, I know, the bear's got better hair than do I (family genes). Also I'm a dinosaur ...always liked grain. Frequently ADD grain, sorry Leica R&D. Grain oozes real life textural 'feel' to most images.

I had set the Q2M up giving my wife plenty of scope for DOF and camera shake, hence the camera's choice of ISO 25000. As I already had the 'auto ISO' max setting of 25000 we must've struck lucky. For some reason she kept trying to fire the shot using the new button (thumb wheel) until I worked out remotely what it was she was running up against. Got there in the end. You might be glad to know I got the Q2M back off her:-) She's happy running around in full colour with my original Q.

Post was fun - playing off the shadow dodging against the noise of a rising spider mist. Still having an issue trying to match the forum's upload gamma - see my other thread.

FWIW my Q2M has a half dozen bright pixels and at high magnification those bright pixels have an odd external aura in quadrature. Must be something funky at the micro level or maybe nano level? Nothing C1 can't fix so I'll not be getting too precious. Just as long as the overall number doesn't grow unduly. After all 47 mega pixels is an AWFUL lots of pixels to manufacture. 

4 hours ago, Craig Clark said:

Are you finding the forum's displayed image to be darker than expected after uploading your image files?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, piran said:

Are you finding the forum's displayed image to be darker than expected after uploading your image files?

Its a bit darker but not terrible.  I am here at work (i say that quietly) and have two monitors and to be honest it looks different on each of the monitors...better on the high res obviously...but yes, its a bit darker.  That picture is pretty dark to start with, I exposed based off of the sun fully expecting the image to look very dark.  

8 minutes ago, Craig Clark said:

Hah!  Indeed.  I think the picture below has a bit of the aforementioned pattern noise...but to be honest it doesnt bother me.  Every lens / sensor combo has its own personality...comes with the turf.  Some will be critical, others will find a way to embrace.  If people are looking for a reason to not buy the Q2M they shouldn't buy it.  Cameras are like music, theres something out there for everyone.  

Two things. 1) the sun is much higher, hotter and -in-view; all of which may have lead to the over-flaring. 2) the earlier-posted one of your wife drinking coffee has the below horizon (?) sun, cooler and out-of-view - without over-flare. 

Also did you have any eye trouble viewing against the sun? 

That roadway bridge overpass thing looks massive enough to almost completely hide the sun's orb. Do you have another shot from then with it successfully hidden. IOW without flare - undue or otherwise? BTW I do like the composition - flare or not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, piran said:

Two things. 1) the sun is much higher, hotter and -in-view; all of which may have lead to the over-flaring. 2) the earlier-posted one of your wife drinking coffee has the below horizon (?) sun, cooler and out-of-view - without over-flare. 

Also did you have any eye trouble viewing against the sun? 

That roadway bridge overpass thing looks massive enough to almost completely hide the sun's orb. Do you have another shot from then with it successfully hidden. IOW without flare - undue or otherwise? BTW I do like the composition - flare or not.

Thank you - I have been having a really good time with the camera.  I dont have another with the sun blocked...good thinking though, I may have to go back there this weekend to play.  I captured this one at Union Station in Washington DC.  I really love how this camera forces one to pay close attention to light and dark.  Its pushing me in the exact direction I wanted it to creatively.  

• Like 14

Q2M away from me
(ISO25000 1-125s f8) - cracked my forum upload gamma issue Edited by piran
typos/eyesight :-|
  • Like 3

Still coming to grips with processing in LR, as well as setting up for posting.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kkochheiser said:

Still coming to grips with processing in LR, as well as setting up for posting.

was an in-camera filter or in PP preset used? it looks very nice - both the shot and ofcourse the gun itself

It was the Silver 4 LR preset called Soft Platinum. Most of the other toning options were stronger than I was looking for.  Mostly I adjusted curves and exposure and added vignetting.  Fun to play around with such robust files.  I shot some in stronger light at ISO 200 and the detail is amazing.  I love my color Q2 but the Monochrom is so much fun!

• Thanks 1