Leica Q2 Monochrom Survey

Interested in the Leica Q2 Monochrom?  

706 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in the Leica Q2 Monochrom?

• Yes, take my money!
    • Interested, but I'll wait and see
    • Exciting camera, but will not buy
    • Not interested

As others have mentioned, I'd likely be more interested in any iteration Q camera if it came with a fixed 35mm or 50mm lens. I do have a great little Fuji X100F, but that camera sits on the shelf since I acquired a typ246 and an M10.

One question- and this may upset some folks- why bother to come to a Leica forum and then complain about Leica prices?  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, paulmarksanders said:

As others have mentioned, I'd likely be more interested in any iteration Q camera if it came with a fixed 35mm or 50mm lens. I do have a great little Fuji X100F, but that camera sits on the shelf since I acquired a typ246 and an M10.

One question- and this may upset some folks- why bother to come to a Leica forum and then complain about Leica prices?  

It should be ok to question a $6,000 point and shoot on any forum. 
p.s. I’ve owned 5 Leica cameras  

55 minutes ago, paulmarksanders said:

If an M10 cost $23,000, would you complain? Why?

3 minutes ago, Ipanemaguy said:

If an M10 cost $23,000, would you complain? Why?

Well, I wouldn't complain - I would just not buy it.

The point is that people should not complain about prices per se (strictly talking about luxury items), but rather hold it against companies for marking up the prices excessively.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RobM said:

Well, the Q2M is a lot cheaper than the body-only of the M10M. Add a quality lens to that body, and the Q2M starts looking like a steal. 

Honestly, I used to think like that too for the Leica Q after first hearing it from a Youtube reviewer, but after a while I realized just how presumptuous that reasoning actually is.

Just because the only other alternative to the first costs twice the price, it does not make the price of the first any better.

12 minutes ago, nico4444 said:

Honestly, I used to think like that too for the Leica Q after first hearing it from a Youtube reviewer, but after a while I realized just how presumptuous that reasoning actually is.

Just because the only other alternative to the first costs twice the price, it does not make the price of the first any better.

yes, and besides some of my M lenses from the 70s, 80s, and 90s are still usable (and valuable).

You cannot really compare the two, but you can say that both are extremely good AND expensive tools within their respective niches

• Like 2

I really don’t understand why people complain about the price.  OK . . . if you buy the camera and are not happy with the output then by all means complain.  If you think a cheaper camera produces better results, then buy the cheaper camera and be happy.  If you haven’t bought the camera because (a) you can’t afford it, or (b) you don’t think it’s worth the asking price, then just move on.  Nobody is forced to spend the money - so just don’t do it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, RobM said:

jd, what body will you put your premium M lens on?

M10-P and Leica Monochrome (18mp CCD sensor, otherwise known as "Henri"?).  My lenses are 35mm 1.4 Summilux, Nocti 50mm f/0.95, Summilux 90mm f/1.5.  IMHO - I loved the rendering of the Elmarit 28mm 2.8 on the M better than the Q2.  I have decided to "marry" the M instead of going from one Leica to another.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, T25UFO said:

I really don’t understand why people complain about the price. ... If you think a cheaper camera produces better results, then buy the cheaper camera and be happy. 

That’s exactly the thing to complain about: the lack of choices in the market with basically no competition, which drives the price up like in a monopoly. Simple economics. 

All I can say is that if one finds Leica prices unpleasant or offensive,  move on.  There are many other great photographic choices available at lower cost.  If you want to complain, contact the Leica board of directors.  Most of us understand that Leica is not for everyone and that there are many other cameras and lenses which offer great performance and results, (in the right hands, that is). Peace. And happy Thanksgiving to all.

• Like 3

On 11/17/2020 at 1:27 AM, gwelland said:

I guess I’m an outlier because I have M246 monochrom and only a single M lens these days (50 ‘lux) and Q2 but I also should be receiving my Q2M this week.

I used to shoot with the Sony RX1R II and if they’d had a monochrom version I’d have bought that back in the day before I transitioned to the Q2.

i have the mm246 & 35 lux. as my eyesight changes, autofocus on the Q2M is appealing. plus, i travel a LOT & often leave my leica behind because ... IDK, bulk? weight? i just don’t use it, even when i drag it. i’d have to trade my mm & lux to cover the cost of the Q2M & i’ll end up losing most of my initial investment (i’ve already lost a good deal on the mm246 body) so i’m really torn but i put in my order. Vico thinks i’m crazy. 😜 

To get back to the original question of "Interested in the Leica Q2 Monochrom?"

Yes.  I have a recently acquired M10 Mono and I am still interested in the Q2 Mono.

Why?  It is an alternative to the M10M and offers different capabilities.  And it offers the f/1.7 Summilux rather than the Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH which I have for my M10M.  The f/1.7 Summilux produces a totally different fingerprint at maximum aperture.

All that, and I have photographed in color for so long that black and white is a welcome change.  It is like seeing and creating images with new eyes.  It is a different way of seeing and is somehow more clear and clean than color.  Black and white is intriguing and comes bearing a faint whiff of the mysterious.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3

On 11/11/2020 at 11:58 PM, LUF Admin said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica Camera yesterday introduced the Leica Q2 Monochrom:

My question to you:

Is the Leica Q2 Monochrom interesting for you?

Please vote above und comment below.

Looking forward to the results!

Andreas

I already have the Leica Q and the Leica M Monochrom and the M.

1 hour ago, paulmarksanders said:

After over 45 years as a professional photographer, when it comes to my personal work I feel that monochrome can indeed be mysterious,, while color continues to seduce me. 

There's a time, place and subject matter for both. 

Knowing which is most appropriate for a given subject and situation is the key.

I purchased my Q2M on the eleventh and picked it up on the next day. I have a Q 1 M10  CL SL 601 and an XR Vario. Love them all but this QM2 is a winner. Its results are beautiful. I had an M9 Monochrom which was great but this little beauty is fantastic.

Edited by Notman
Hit the wrong key and sent it before I had finished.
  • Like 3

On 11/11/2020 at 4:58 AM, LUF Admin said:

My question to you: Is the Leica Q2 Monochrom interesting for you?

Yes, the Q2 Monochrom is interesting to me. It puts together a good mix of features and the monochrome single purpose niche in a way that I like. 

The question of whether I'll buy one is also interesting, but I don't have an answer for that yet. It competes with an M10 Monochrom or M10-D model as well. If I am going to buy one, it will not be in this year's finances; it will be next year's at least. I have not decided definitively one way or the other as yet.