Leica Q2 Monochrom Survey

Interested in the Leica Q2 Monochrom?  

706 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in the Leica Q2 Monochrom?

• Yes, take my money!
    • Interested, but I'll wait and see
    • Exciting camera, but will not buy
    • Not interested

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/11/2020 at 2:58 PM, LUF Admin said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica Camera yesterday introduced the Leica Q2 Monochrom:

My question to you:

Is the Leica Q2 Monochrom interesting for you?

Please vote above und comment below.

Looking forward to the results!

Andreas

Perfect timing I would say! 

I am a Leica user since 2005, when I first buy my Digilux 2.

I was questioning myself a lot about my photography. Should I shoot B&W or Colors? That is the question. But I mostly shoot black and white, and this camera is also great for that. The image quality both colors and B&W is just stunning!

Saturday on the 28 of November, I organise a Walk & Talk in Berlin. This event will bring together other Leica freaks, like for example Mister Thorsten von Overgaard.

Is it a way for me to try the Leica Q2 during this Walk & Talk, because this could also be interesting for other who join me to discover the beauty of technologie to the Q2, don't you think?

Please let me know if this could be an option for me?

Sincerely,

Olivier

Edited by Olivier Fichtner

While the Q2 Monochrom is interesting - I'm holding out for the SL2 Monochrom. I would buy the SL2 Monochrom - no question!!  I should add, that similar to Enrique Santa's comment, I also like the size of the CL and when portability is the priority, I take my CL over my Q camera; it's better IQ than most APS-C sensors and the portability of the lenses and camera are great.  Maybe, a CL Monochrom???  Still the SL2 Monochrom is my most preferred camera option.

Edited by William K.
More complete answer.

I think this is a great idea, but somehow Leica fails to address photographers, and their marketing department has too much power. It's a bauble.

1] Body ergonomics: Just awful!  Bulky, not grab points* (handle), poor placement of controls.

2] If truly B&W, they should add the IR/UV sensitivity option.  This is where Leica would shine, as the viewfinder technique would allow easy focus, and digital amplification could show a WISIWIG of IR or UV on the display. In mirrorless or DSLR, the filter on the lens blackens the display.  Filter on sensor dedicates the camera to only ONE use. Solution is simple and fitting the Leica body... Could actually become a scientific tool.

3] A handle* would allow more power, and more space for the electronics in body.

4] Do make the rear display flip, so you can shoot close to the ground, - think Rollei/Exacta.

5] Do wireless tether to iPhone or Android, so triggering and view can be seen on the tablet/phone (allows camera to be on a static surface and triggered when the subject is desired).

6] Maybe incorporate the Arca grooves on the bottom.

7] Film days are over.  The bottom removable plate is obsolete!  Make a dedicated SD or card slot on the side, not underneath requiring tedious handling.

8] Include Leicavit concept in the digital world... give the option to capture 10-20 fps!!! Look at M1X technology... Just too bad it cannot AF/Track.

But.... this will never happen.  All my M2 and M4 bodies are safely cocooned, ready for a museum.  The Leica glass is used with an adapter on a modern digital body.

Edited by Parfumeur
Spelling error
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 9:46 AM, davidbaddley said:

I love the idea of B&W with this camera, reminds me a little of working with the 1A. I'd be much more excited if I could get it with a 50mm or even a 35mm. Just fits the way I like to work better (a 50mm Summilux ASPH lives on my MM1) . Now a choice of sensors, why not a choice of lenses?

Sure I’d love a choice of lenses, but the Q monochrome is already approaching the unaffordable at $6k. I wouldn’t want to add thousands more for a lens. Might as well go to an M. 

On November 11, 2020 at 6:58 AM, LUF Admin said:

My question to you:

Andreas

Already have the M10 Mono.  Want a Q2 but can't find one. Why yearn for a Q2 Mono when the Q2 is so scarce. 

A little aside.  The Pana GX8 was an ideal Leica style body (minus RF, but autofocus!). The rotating top viewfinder is genius....  I love my GX8 for B&W work, but sadly Leica must have had a say in the button placement which are non tactile and not intuitive, and poorly placed.  I only wrote this here because of that special, unique viewfinder.

Interesting camera but I purchased the M246 which fits my needs perfectly. Being tied to an investment in one lens is too restrictive for me and excellent used examples of the 246 have come down to a very economical price point if you already own M lenses (or other lens ranges with the appropriate adapter).

If Q2 mono or the ordinary Q2 had appeared sooner (2016) I might have bought it.

However, in 2016 I found myself in a situation where I could finally afford the M system I hankered for for since I was around 20. - I am now 61 it was a long wait but I never gave up!

Thus I  bought an M262 a 35mm Summicron and 75mm Summarit. In the following months I added a 28mm Elmarit, and SF40 Flash. In Summer 2019 when the ME240 was announced at a competitive price I thought it might be wise to get a second M body (this is when I had been thinking of buying a Q2). Two bodies means I don't have to do much lens swapping and avoid the dust hassles and fiddling when out.  

However, it then meant a much larger Billingham bag and heavier weight on my shoulder.

If the Q2 had been around in 2016 with its higher res sensor and cropping ability for longer focal lengths and weather sealing it might have won the day over the M262. 

If that had happened I would probably be in a position to get a Q2 monochrom now as a companion as I wouldn't have bought the ME240 last year. It certainly would mean less weight to carry on walks etc. 

I could just about afford a Q2 monochrom but just couldn't justify a fifth camera - I have an elderly X1 and equally Elderly V-lux 3.  

In reality as I need a camera with a good zoom for ship photography it looks like my next Leica will be a V-Lux5  - unless a V-Lux 6 comes along as I won't be upgrading until normal ferry and cruise operations with out masks or restrictions return as I won't be doing much ship photography - so that might be quite a few months off yet!

Anyway that is my situation with the Q2 mono - would like it - but can't justify it!

John

Edited by jhluxton

57 minutes ago, NJUSA1 said:

Sure I’d love a choice of lenses, but the Q monochrome is already approaching the unaffordable at $6k. I wouldn’t want to add thousands more for a lens.

I thought the Q2 Mono came with a lens as part of the package.

1 hour ago, Parfumeur said:

7] Film days are over.  The bottom removable plate is obsolete!  Make a dedicated SD or card slot on the side, not underneath requiring tedious handling.

I hadn't realised the Q2 Mono bottom plate was removable.

I really must check all the specs again . . . .

Edited by T25UFO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SiOnara said:

I agree.  Lots of mediocre photographers are using the monochrom cameras.

Those so-called mediocre photographers might be perfectly content with their images, and really love their camera and their place in photography. It should not be a competition. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 11/11/2020 at 6:58 AM, LUF Admin said:

My question to you:

Andreas

Leica is racing with other brands to bring out new models making users' 18-month purchases obsolete and driving down used Leica values.  I've decided to quit this rat race and trade in my Sl and Q2 for a premium M lens.  Higher resolution does not make a great photograph.  Eighteen to twenty-four mp sensors are adequate for most photographers.  Quality of the finished print also depends on post-processing and printing technology.  

• Like 1