Leica Q2 Monochrom Survey

Interested in the Leica Q2 Monochrom?  

706 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in the Leica Q2 Monochrom?

• Yes, take my money!
    • Interested, but I'll wait and see
    • Exciting camera, but will not buy
    • Not interested

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica Camera yesterday introduced the Leica Q2 Monochrom:

My question to you:

Is the Leica Q2 Monochrom interesting for you?

Please vote above und comment below.

Looking forward to the results!

Andreas

I love the idea of B&W with this camera, reminds me a little of working with the 1A. I'd be much more excited if I could get it with a 50mm or even a 35mm. Just fits the way I like to work better (a 50mm Summilux ASPH lives on my MM1) . Now a choice of sensors, why not a choice of lenses?

I'm not using your vote choices because none of them fit my choice. My choice is: no, not in this or the next 10 lifetimes.

IMO, for me (and I stress I'm not commenting on other people's choices), the monochrom Q2 is a massive waste of money. The debatable benefits of a monochrom are, to me, FAR outweighed by the benefits of adjusting color channels when converting color Q2 to b/w. And I just looked at the gallery of sample MQ2 images on DPR. My take: meh

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8900752414/leica-q2-monochrom-sample-gallery-dpreview-tv/1924167551

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For me, I can't imagine a better camera. I love fixed-lens cameras - something I discovered a decade or so ago with the Fuji X100. I love monochrome - I have the first iteration of the Leica Monochrom series. It's getting old now, but still takes great shots. The sensor problem was a pain, however. The quality of the Q2 lens and dedicated sensor is really exciting.

In short, I'll be trading in a bunch of stuff I will no longer need, and I'm sure I'll be delighted with the Q2M.

I briefly had the Q1, thought it a GREAT camera, but I really dislike colour photography (not every colour photo, of course) and a clean b&w work routine is all I want. 

I'll buy this camera...somehow.

• Like 7

On 11/11/2020 at 11:13 AM, brickftl said:

I'm not using your vote choices because none of them fit my choice. My choice is: no, not in this or the next 10 lifetimes.

IMO, for me (and I stress I'm not commenting on other people's choices), the monochrom Q2 is a massive waste of money. The debatable benefits of a monochrom are, to me, FAR outweighed by the benefits of adjusting color channels when converting color Q2 to b/w. And I just looked at the gallery of sample MQ2 images on DPR. My take: meh

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8900752414/leica-q2-monochrom-sample-gallery-dpreview-tv/1924167551

I have to agree. I have seen thousands of beautiful BW images taken with regular digital cameras and many so-so examples from monochromes.

For me is like buying a Rolex with only one hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

LOVE my colour Q (original series) but the specs of the Q2M look like they were made just for me. Always been fond of B&W. The extra level of sealing is reassuring. However it was the additional spec of the OLED eyepiece natively previewing in mono that really did it for me ...and my ancient eyesight. The extra definition & ISO. lower noise are all just icing on the cake as it were. Now if only Leica UK would change their status from 'out of stock'... or Red Dot could come out of lockdown:-/

Edited by piran
typos/eyesight :-|

For a day or so I thought what a lovely camera: must look at my finances… But then I took some arbitrary b/w jpegs with the Q2, looked at them and thought 'why do I want to go back to black and white (@ £4995!), after all these years, since we see everything in colour?' So not for me – and a decent CD player replacement beckons, in any case, as my faithful Meridian (25 years +) is started skipping while playing tracks..

Edited by microview
  • Like 2

Guest BlackBarn
1 hour ago, microview said:

since we see everything in colour

Absolutely right....however there is another aesthetic at play here -  To quote Fan Ho (1931-2016)

’It’s not that I don’t like colour photographs but I’ve realised one thing. Colours do not fit in my world. Black and white offers me a distance. What kind of distance? A kind of distance from real life. I think this distance is multicolored. Black and white offers a sense of detachment. It allows audiences and viewers to develop their responses and offers the space and depth to ponder and contemplate my ideas’.

B/W photography shares common ground with coloured photography but it is a separate discipline and deserves dedicated cameras. Is there much of a difference when converting  colour to B/W say from a dedicated mono? For me ...absolutely on so many levels.

I am not buying the QM because I have the 10m and utilize its interchangeability of lenses, using old ‘art/less precise’ lenses but the QM is a fantastic addition and it’s going to make many new owners very happy. 

If it were my choice of buying another Leica camera/lens or CD replacement player .....well the CD replacement player would win every time.

Edited by BlackBarn
Aa

"Since we see everything in colour... "

Picasso never said "Since we see everyone with two arms and legs... "   That's being facetious of course.  Whatever works for each of us!  To me that's a good reason to use black and white.  But mostly I just love it.  

Edited by stevieboy

On 11/11/2020 at 7:13 PM, brickftl said:

Ditto.

21 hours ago, microview said:

For a day or so I thought what a lovely camera: must look at my finances… But then I took some arbitrary b/w jpegs with the Q2, looked at them and thought 'why do I want to go back to black and white (@ £4995!), after all these years, since we see everything in colour?' So not for me – and a decent CD player replacement beckons, in any case, as my faithful Meridian (25 years +) is started skipping while playing tracks..

IMHO there’s no “going back to B&W”. It’s another dimension of the art form. A compliment. B&W focuses the viewer to look at the tonality of the image without the distraction of color. Especially with portraits, B&W sharpens the view of the character of the person. Every wrinkle, blemish, twinkle reflects an integral of their life experience. It’s a window into the soul of the subject. 

I’m not yet convinced the Q2M is the right purchase for me. I have my Q2 setup with a B&W view already because that facilitates using focus peaking in MF. I also enjoy the conversion to B&W in LR and being able to distinguish and adjust the tonality of individual colors in the original. Finally, the obvious advantage of the Q2M is high ISO performance. Significantly less noise than the Q2. Not as good as the M10M, which is the standard, but still much better than the Q2

The Q2M is a great addition to the Q family. 

• Like 9

Just as any Q, it has only two and one meter on focus scale. M 28 mm lenses have 10, 5, 3, 2 or 5, 3, 2 meters.

Due to this limitation Q series focus tab acts only like fixed aperture, focus switch.. F8/2m and stay where. 

Maybe it is technically impossible to have quick AF and usable manual focus scale.  Leica has same focus scale on less expensive X 113.