Leica Q2 Monochrom Survey

Interested in the Leica Q2 Monochrom?  

706 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in the Leica Q2 Monochrom?

• Yes, take my money!
    • Interested, but I'll wait and see
    • Exciting camera, but will not buy
    • Not interested

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/26/2020 at 1:03 PM, Kit B said:

I have only had my Q2 for a few weeks and totally happy with it.  My photography does not really include B & W so, will pass on the Q2M.  By the way, my Q2 often slightly over exposes (around 1 stop).  Obviously easily sorted with a -1 EV but not ideal.  Anyone any ideas?   KitB

Sounds like something in the settings.  Perhaps the way you have the exposure menu setup.  Do you use spot, center, or weighted?  

On 11/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, T25UFO said:

I thought the Q2 Mono came with a lens as part of the package.

I hadn't realised the Q2 Mono bottom plate was removable.

I really must check all the specs again . . . .

Dear T25UFO: My comments were generic for most Leica M retro design.  The Q2 actually has separate doors for battery and ONE memory card(s), yes cards would have been nice, because often I shoot with a backup card (witness the marketing failure to pros of the first Nikon Z series - one card).  I can understand the battery underneath, but the memory slot interferes with L brackets, Arca plates, grips, mounted on tripod, etc.  Indeed, the Q2 has a body fixed non removeable lens. I can appreciate that, but it locks you into one focal length.  Indeed, great for super quality, but what about creativity with other 'creamy' lenses.  For 'street' work, a GPS recording function would have been a plus and Arca grooves.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Parfumeur
added one word
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2020 at 6:06 PM, T25UFO said:

I really don’t understand why people complain about the price.  OK . . . if you buy the camera and are not happy with the output then by all means complain.

Indeed you have to pay for quality, and the Q2 along with most Leica are quality.  Think scientific tool.

The issue for me is ergonomics and features.  For reportage, that is a great camera, albeit, for field work and discretion, I would prefer multiple quasi disposable GX8.  For that asking price I would expect special B&W features previously mentioned (IR/UV), with a built in optical finder. Between IR and UV, IR is really the best choice.

• Thanks 1

After equivocating a bit because of the 28mm lens - I generally use 50mm through 90mm on Leica M cameras - I ordered the Q2M yesterday (Monday Nov 30). It is scheduled to arrive Friday. I love black and white, but I’ve never owned a Leica monochrom. What sold me was the incredible image quality (I downloaded and manipulated numerous DNG files from the DPreview site), but also the size and the fact it is so well weather sealed. The video capability also interests me.  What makes it even more alluring is the fact the view through the viewfinder and lens is also black and white, which I am assuming will help an old brain visualize a monochromic scene as opposed to having to mentally discard the color and hearken back many decades to the good old zone system. What I would really love to see is Leica bring out a Q2M with a 75mm lens. Two of these little cameras, one with the 28mm and other with a 75mm would be perfect. I would probably use the 75mm version most of the time. What probably would have wider appeal is a Q2M with a 50mm lens with crop lines for 75mm and 90mm. The future for this series should be interesting.

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/26/2020 at 5:55 PM, RobM said:

Those so-called mediocre photographers might be perfectly content with their images, and really love their camera and their place in photography. It should not be a competition. 

I agree.  

The original post stated they 'had seen many so-so images from the Q2M'.   I wonder what's at fault then.  The camera or the person.  

Edited by SiOnara

Let them have the highest resolution their hearts desire!  I just got a completely refurbished Leica Monochrome 18 mp with CCD sensor,

fully knowing that when it dies it goes to the trash - but I love it better than the SL1 and Q2  which I sold (I kept the M10P with a handful of premium lenses).  I prefer to go back to the basics.

These were taken with the humble 18 mp Mono.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

On 1/27/2021 at 8:04 AM, SiOnara said:

I agree.  

The original post stated they 'had seen many so-so images from the Q2M'.   I wonder what's at fault then.  The camera or the person.  

The internet is at fault.....if it wasn't  for the ability it provides to reach so many, only really a few would know the fault - and btw I have seen boring images with other cameras

6 hours ago, nwphil said:

The internet is at fault.....if it wasn't  for the ability it provides to reach so many, only really a few would know the fault - and btw I have seen boring images with other cameras

Totally.  The camera is never to blame for anything...unless it stops working correctly.

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2020 at 8:06 AM, Leica Guy said:

IMHO there’s no “going back to B&W”. It’s another dimension of the art form. A compliment. B&W focuses the viewer to look at the tonality of the image without the distraction of color. Especially with portraits, B&W sharpens the view of the character of the person. Every wrinkle, blemish, twinkle reflects an integral of their life experience. It’s a window into the soul of the subject. 

I’m not yet convinced the Q2M is the right purchase for me. I have my Q2 setup with a B&W view already because that facilitates using focus peaking in MF. I also enjoy the conversion to B&W in LR and being able to distinguish and adjust the tonality of individual colors in the original. Finally, the obvious advantage of the Q2M is high ISO performance. Significantly less noise than the Q2. Not as good as the M10M, which is the standard, but still much better than the Q2. 

The Q2M is a great addition to the Q family. 

Addendum: I now own a Q2M. I’m delighted with it. As expected the high ISO performance is stunning. The tonal gradients are far superior to a converted Q2 image. I’m a novice at taking monochrome photos, but it’s a new challenge and adventure for me and I love it. The Q2M is in a class by itself with the great sensor, AF, IS, fixed 28 mm lens and EVF. It’s a perfect camera for a senior citizen who loves photography. Grab and go!! Stay tuned. Images forthcoming. 

• Like 3

I just purchased a Q2M, too - it will be delivered today.

Back in 2015 after a major life crisis I finally decided to pick up a Leica digital M as a supplement to my M6.  I came very close to buying a Q but instead went with a M-P240 plus upgraded lenses.  Now I’m starting to have difficulty with rangefinder focusing and do much better with an EVF - I use the Visoflex most of the time.  I actually have been using my Fujis more than the Ms.  

The Q2 addressed many of the issues I had with the Q, and the Monochrom is a good fit for me - I don’t think I’ve had the M-P or the Fujis out of monochrome EVF mode in years, I use Nikons for color and convert the M-P and Fuji files to monochrome in post.  

I came to realize one of the things that held me back from buying the Q is actually an advantage in the Q2 and Q2M.  I’m not a 28 user, but the shooting with the 35 framelines activated is very similar to a traditional M experience. The Q2’s additional resolution makes leaving it on 35mm crop mode most of the time practical, I wasn’t comfortable doing that with the lower resolution Q.

I’ll see if my analysis is correct!

26 minutes ago, kenf said:

The Q2’s additional resolution makes leaving it on 35mm crop mode most of the time practical,

That is what I do.  Can't understand why so many people want a Q with a 35mm lens.  Most of my photos are taken in the 35mm crop mode - it's still 30mp which is better than the M10 - and I still have 28mm in the DNG file if I want to use it.

To borrow from Mr. Lincoln, you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, T25UFO said:

That is what I do.  Can't understand why so many people want a Q with a 35mm lens.  Most of my photos are taken in the 35mm crop mode - it's still 30mp which is better than the M10 - and I still have 28mm in the DNG file if I want to use it.

To borrow from Mr. Lincoln, you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time!

Exactly - being able to anticipate framing like you do with an M is a huge advantage. I’m surprised Leica’s marketing information doesn’t bang on this - I’ve never even seen it mentioned, only a technical description about how it works without pointing out the implication. 

1 hour ago, kenf said:

Exactly - being able to anticipate framing like you do with an M is a huge advantage. I’m surprised Leica’s marketing information doesn’t bang on this - I’ve never even seen it mentioned, only a technical description about how it works without pointing out the implication. 

Maybe getting too close to damaging M sales?  I use both M10R and Q2, but if I had to choose just one, it would probably be the Q2.  Will be even more interesting when the Q3 comes along.