Jono Slack Review: Leica M11 Monochrome

jonoslack

vor 39 Minuten schrieb Mr.Prime:

So I'm waiting for the day when they figure out how to make a camera which can be used as a true mono with all the advantages of a filter-less sensor and be switched over to full colour. Then we will have finally moved beyond film.

that could happen If SIGMA finally gets further with their Foveon 35mm sensor... ;) 

23 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

that could happen If SIGMA finally gets further with their Foveon 35mm sensor... ;) 

I have a strong suspicion that they never will. After all, they are fighting physics. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks as usual Jono!  I so far have resisted these MMs, but perhaps this could be the one. I'm a little surprised by the pricing, as given the 4 fold bump in internal memory, the Mono at the moment is no longer commanding a premium over the base M.  The appeal of a second M11 body... no need for a second battery or V2... is very tempting. Perhaps it is time to trade my now dusty M10-R to one of the base plate believers.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great review of a very capable camera. It certainly teases me to finally dig into a monochrom camera. Played already chicken with the Q2 :D

However, meanwhile the m-line reached crazy land at least for my price-value perception. I could, but I won‘t.

Thanks Jono for your constantly great support and work!

• Like 2

Nice review Jono, thanks for writing that.

Very nice camera, but $9200 plus tax is a tough pill to swallow, unless you are making a living from it or money is of no concern.

I think I will eventually go for an M11, because I need color files to emulate the spectral response of film stocks like Tri-X etc.

And if I only have one body it would be advantageous to also be able to shoot color.

I still think it would be nice if Leica added an additional optional shutter mode that works in the classic CLOSED-OPEN-CLOSED cycle, even if that means the loss of any metering.

• Like 3

I owned two M9 Monochroms and i loved them. When the M11 came out I decided to purchase one. I can only say that you don‘t need a M11 Mono when you own a M11. Image quality is superb also in b&w conversions. Sure it is not the genuine process of true b&w photography. But do you have to spend an additional 10.000€? No.

But If you can afford it. Do it. It will be a really and pure luxury tool!

Edited by Jan1985
  • Like 1

From perusing the lovely samples you provided in the article (though the magnification when viewing on your site didn't seem to work properly with my browser at least), I find myself curious as to whether you did any shooting with any Mandlers and such?  The high contrast APOs always seem to produce that fantastic range of tone on the monochoms... so much pop and definition... but I'd love to see if the older glass renders in that silky smooth fashion I so love. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

Which is about the price differential between a good 256 GB card to a 64Gb which was my point.  

On that basis, the M11 includes a free Bayer array.  🤪

I would never need or want a card with that much storage, so another wasted feature for me. I prefer the M10M and M10R for reasons that have nothing to do with the base plate.  Good to have choices.

Jeff

• Haha 2

Great article as usual. great review. I have been shooting with the M10M since it came out and love it. I have made plenty of 40"x60" prints of images shot at ISO 10,000. The prints look great, Even when you stick your nose against the print. I find only photographers have to press their noses into the print (topic for a different discussion). I believe for me at this time I will keep the M10M as it meets everything I need. I am more interested in the SL3(Future release) Maybe end of this year, most likely next year. I love my SL2, however wish it had better high ISO. Keep up the great reviews. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

On that basis, the M11 includes a free Bayer array.  🤪

I would never need or want a card with that much storage, so another wasted feature for me. I prefer the M10M and M10R for reasons that have nothing to do with the base plate.  Good to have choices.

I don't care one way or the other really.  I dont use the M11 internal memory as I find a card far more convenient.. particularly now that Apple has reinstated a card reader in the MBP.  A 64gb UHS card is more than enough storage and speed for my use case.  Having the back up memory is nice, but not a requirement.  Perhaps useful for a trip sans laptop, but other than that, while I wouldn't say its useless, its not compelling.  But IIRC previously the monos have come in at an additional half a G or more. So an additional $200 over the M11, but at least with more memory, suggests to me that perhaps they've realized that they are very close to the breaking point in terms of pricing.

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

I don't care one way or the other really.  I dont use the M11 internal memory as I find a card far more convenient.. particularly now that Apple has reinstated a card reader in the MBP.  A 64gb UHS card is more than enough storage and speed for my use case.  Having the back up memory is nice, but not a requirement.  Perhaps useful for a trip sans laptop, but other than that, while I wouldn't say its useless, its not compelling.  But IIRC previously the monos have come in at an additional half a G or more. So an additional $200 over the M11, but at least with more memory, suggests to me that perhaps they've realized that they are very close to the breaking point in terms of pricing.

The M10-R and M10 Monochrom were both launched for $8295.  They were, however, designed simultaneously (except the R took a bit more time to hit market due to color tweaking), so there weren’t any currency exchange issues, which can often affect prices (along with supply chain issues, etc).

I do think that M digital prices, no matter the cause or required margins, are bordering on crazy. Good test, though, for GAS sufferers.

Jeff

• Like 3

Was at Leica Los Angeles about an hour after opening today to pick up several silver UV filters.  Got to handle the M11M with the new silver 50 Lux and put my name on the list.  The lens seemed a little fatter than my version 1 ASPH but they could not find one in store for comparison.  Surprisingly, there was only one other customer in store who was trading in equipment; I would think there would be more coming in to look at the newly introduced products.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

AFAIC they are just plain old crazy. But then so am I, at times. 

OTOH, in thinking about it, I was just tapped the other day to shoot a concert in a small theater where people are paying $150, $450, $750 and... gulp... $1000 a seat.  So maybe I'm just out of touch with the value of money these days.

• Like 1