Leica Q2 Monochrom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are three Leica stores in Shanghai, and they all have Q2M in stock for sale (at least today).  Stopped by one of these Leica stores on my way to dinner.  I had my Q2 with me also.  Took many pictures with both cameras under similar conditions, from low to high ISO.  Other than the obvious difference in color, everything else appears to be the same.  Wondering if Leica could have upgraded the EVF and focusing mechanism 18 months after Q2.

Q2M files are very nice, especially at high ISO.  But the IQ advantage over Q2 is not as great as I expected.

1 hour ago, vedivv said:

There are three Leica stores in Shanghai, and they all have Q2M in stock for sale (at least today).  Stopped by one of these Leica stores on my way to dinner.  I had my Q2 with me also.  Took many pictures with both cameras under similar conditions, from low to high ISO.  Other than the obvious difference in color, everything else appears to be the same.  Wondering if Leica could have upgraded the EVF and focusing mechanism 18 months after Q2.

Q2M files are very nice, especially at high ISO.  But the IQ advantage over Q2 is not as great as I expected.

where you able to try the Q2 in monochrome mode and see the files with more detail at home? not trying to bash you or the Q lcd screen....

- surprising enough the Q2M seems to be scarce in the US ( B&H and LeicaStoreMiami for instance

1 hour ago, nwphil said:

where you able to try the Q2 in monochrome mode and see the files with more detail at home? not trying to bash you or the Q lcd screen....

- surprising enough the Q2M seems to be scarce in the US ( B&H and LeicaStoreMiami for instance

Acquiring the latest & greatest Leica camera/lens is a waiting game, particularly when we are talking about any of the Q, M or Monochrom objects of desire. 

It took a while for me to get my M10 Mono - but I didn't die from the wait.  It just made the unboxing that much sweeter.  😎

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

Acquiring the latest & greatest Leica camera/lens is a waiting game, particularly when we are talking about any of the Q, M or Monochrom objects of desire. 

It took a while for me to get my M10 Mono - but I didn't die from the wait.  It just made the unboxing that much sweeter.  😎

ah-ah if it is the placing inside the box so I can unbox it is delaying it, then a ziplock  bag will do 😁

Edited by nwphil
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nwphil said:

FYI: Q2 Monochrom is still available at Camera West (my preference) and at Leica USA online store.

29 minutes ago, SrMi said:

FYI: Q2 Monochrom is still available at Camera West (my preference) and at Leica USA online store.

Thanks - just checked and indeed they are - waiting on trade in quote from another store, and if they take too much time I will move on

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AaronMRamsey said:

Yeah that was back in 2004-2005. Spent a year there. Too bad you can't do that anymore...I'm sure a lot's changed since. I was considering getting my Q2M from Amazon but how cool would it be to take a drive down to Boston to get it at the Leica Store?? Never been inside! Decisions decisions haha. 

AMAZON?  Scamazon is more like it...  I received a counterfeit  Nikon Battery  from them...  thats why their Return/exchange policy is so good.  I don't buy anything from them!

I loves to Travel.  I have never been  North  on an Amtrak  train before. Never been to Boston  either.. Sooo..  I took a few days off from work.  Took a LIRR  from Long Island  to NYC and then  caught me a Regional  to Beantown.  This was a Solo  trip so i had to make the best of it.  Found my room and settled in..  woke up early and then  took a 15 minute walk  to the Leica Boutique.

We Have a Leica Boutique  in Manhattan but they  didn't have one  when i was ready.  The Sales folk  were  really cool and the chap Enrique  was very helpful.  I even  bought all my attachments  with me  that i didn't even purchase  there which they helped me with.  I mean i didn't even spend  a lot of money compared to what other people were spending.  They answered all my dumb questions too..  Sadly it rained the whole time..  so i didn't get a chance to shoot Boston. Can't  wait to do it all again..

• Like 1

I had no problem securing a Q2M but I always use my smaller dealer who is my Medium format dealer. They get good supply of Leica, Hasselblad and Fuji in addition to my normal Phase One, Alpa and Cambo gear.

Give Capture Integration a call in Atlanta. They’ve always gotten me early delivery of Leica gear way ahead of any of the larger dealers.  Ask to chat with Dave Gallagher or Steve Hendrix and tell them Graham sent you :)

Edited by gwelland

On 11/19/2020 at 12:06 AM, nwphil said:

The nice people at the Leica store allowed me to shoot Q2M on my memory card.  I took similar shots (same setting and scene) on my own Q2.  My comparison is based on DNG filing editing at home in LR.

Don't get me wrong.  Q2M definitely performs better on high ISO settings, but the difference for me does not justifying getting a Q2M over Q2 (even if the prices are the same).  And being able to use color filters post with Q2 is a reasonable tradeoff.  Most my photo editing/viewing is done with 4K screens, and I don't often print large.  Perhaps the quality difference in large prints is more noticeable.

I bought my Q2 from BH (3 months wait), and my wait time would be longer if bought it from the SH Leica store. Not sure why the Q2M situation would be different.

46 minutes ago, vedivv said:

The nice people at the Leica store allowed me to shoot Q2M on my memory card.  I took similar shots (same setting and scene) on my own Q2.  My comparison is based on DNG filing editing at home in LR.

Don't get me wrong.  Q2M definitely performs better on high ISO settings, but the difference for me does not justifying getting a Q2M over Q2 (even if the prices are the same).  And being able to use color filters post with Q2 is a reasonable tradeoff.  Most my photo editing/viewing is done with 4K screens, and I don't often print large.  Perhaps the quality difference in large prints is more noticeable.

I bought my Q2 from BH (3 months wait), and my wait time would be longer if bought it from the SH Leica store. Not sure why the Q2M situation would be different.

Thanks - I hear that in reviews, that indeed the highest gain will be for those printing, but that at same time still are visual differences noticeable enough - and if that matters or can be perceived is above all a personal thing. The Q2 is indeed a superb camera, but I have other options in hand; for me it's the whole concept that I bought into - and it's not an easy decision as at this time still struggle a bit with the M10M option. It's all about validating and become confident  and comfortable with the decision making/reasoning to acquire the gear in mind. I do go back and forth for a while...sometimes till last minute.

Printing alone is not a priority for me, but the shooting experience itself is, and it's not about showcasing a brand - changing in post is not the same, although it works fine as many others have been demonstrating with a variety of cameras.

Maybe if you are someone who shoots mainly colour and occasionally changes the image to b&w, the Q2M might not seem worth the expenditure. I get that. But for dedicated b&w shooters (self included), this camera is in many ways ideal: four useable focal lengths plus macro in one very good lens, and the ability to view the scene in b&w through the viewfinder, right through to final edit and print, is really superb. Colour just confuses things enormously, in my experience and work flow. 

The two cameras I've most enjoyed shooting in the last ten years have been the original Fuji X100 (fixed lens) and the first Leica Monochrom. The Q2M might well be the perfect marriage of both styles of camera, and improved. 

My supplier is quoting January for my Q2M. I am really looking forward to it. 

• Like 2

On 11/18/2020 at 11:06 AM, nwphil said:

Lately  B/H  has been lacking  when it comes to supply..  whether  it's the 500mm Nikon Lens or the Q2  from last year..  they never seem to have stock.

Edited by Giguchan

13 minutes ago, Giguchan said:

Lately  B/H  has been lacking  when it comes to supply..  whether  it's the 500mm Nikon Lens the Q2  from last year..

well, I don't to deviate from topic, but there is more than that

Surprising somewhat, LeicaMiami is behind in stock too. i used them in the past,and kind of shocking seeing them behind Camera West and a few others

8 hours ago, nwphil said:

Thanks - I hear that in reviews, that indeed the highest gain will be for those printing, but that at same time still are visual differences noticeable enough - and if that matters or can be perceived is above all a personal thing. The Q2 is indeed a superb camera, but I have other options in hand; for me it's the whole concept that I bought into - and it's not an easy decision as at this time still struggle a bit with the M10M option. It's all about validating and become confident  and comfortable with the decision making/reasoning to acquire the gear in mind. I do go back and forth for a while...sometimes till last minute.

Printing alone is not a priority for me, but the shooting experience itself is, and it's not about showcasing a brand - changing in post is not the same, although it works fine as many others have been demonstrating with a variety of cameras.

People have different personal preferences.  For me, the big selling point of monochrome is the simplicity and limitation, which force you to think BW.  To me, M10M makes more sense (I reserved one after trying Q2M), since M cameras to me are for more deliberate photography.  Q2 is more of a travel/everyday camera, and I definitely need the flexibility of color.

Another consideration is the use of filter.  I love the hood on my Q2 (best looking hood in my opinion), but totally disappointed with the same hood on Q2M.  I much rather have 50mm lux on M10M that allows me to change filter easily (the Leica store told me that they will have them in stock soon).  Never have the need to use filters on my Q2.  But it might be cool to keep an orange filter on Q2M and see it in real time.  One feature I requested Leica multiple times is to have color filter option for their BW JPG files (love it in my Canon cameras), but I wonder why they never implemented it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EdwardM said:

Q2M is definitely  exiting camera,  but living  in Moscow, from September till April you don't need monochrome camera. 

I used to live in Boston and felt the same when between December and March.  Do you use special lamps at home to keep your away from depression?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Giguchan said:

AMAZON?  Scamazon is more like it...  I received a counterfeit  Nikon Battery  from them...  thats why their Return/exchange policy is so good.  I don't buy anything from them!

I loves to Travel.  I have never been  North  on an Amtrak  train before. Never been to Boston  either.. Sooo..  I took a few days off from work.  Took a LIRR  from Long Island  to NYC and then  caught me a Regional  to Beantown.  This was a Solo  trip so i had to make the best of it.  Found my room and settled in..  woke up early and then  took a 15 minute walk  to the Leica Boutique.

We Have a Leica Boutique  in Manhattan but they  didn't have one  when i was ready.  The Sales folk  were  really cool and the chap Enrique  was very helpful.  I even  bought all my attachments  with me  that i didn't even purchase  there which they helped me with.  I mean i didn't even spend  a lot of money compared to what other people were spending.  They answered all my dumb questions too..  Sadly it rained the whole time..  so i didn't get a chance to shoot Boston. Can't  wait to do it all again..

The Q2M listed on Amazon is sold by Camera West.  Are they not legit?

1 hour ago, vedivv said:

People have different personal preferences.  For me, the big selling point of monochrome is the simplicity and limitation, which force you to think BW.  To me, M10M makes more sense (I reserved one after trying Q2M), since M cameras to me are for more deliberate photography.  Q2 is more of a travel/everyday camera, and I definitely need the flexibility of color.

Another consideration is the use of filter.  I love the hood on my Q2 (best looking hood in my opinion), but totally disappointed with the same hood on Q2M.  I much rather have 50mm lux on M10M that allows me to change filter easily (the Leica store told me that they will have them in stock soon).  Never have the need to use filters on my Q2.  But it might be cool to keep an orange filter on Q2M and see it in real time.  One feature I requested Leica multiple times is to have color filter option for their BW JPG files (love it in my Canon cameras), but I wonder why they never implemented it.

So, I do agree with first sentence, but then seems that you know prefer the M10M, which actually has been in my mind too( not that I am getting both). To me, as I have a M240,  it would make sense too getting a M to use other lenses, but ala, that's also the selling point of the Q2M for me. Do I read it right or you are not getting the Q2M but the M10M instead?

They sell color filters at $150 each - very likely they make more profit out of them vs offering the digital feature for free ;D

Edited by nwphil