Leica Q2 Monochrom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/14/2020 at 10:22 AM, pibitller said:

I think that if the Q2 is a very good camera, and it is a very good prototype for the SL2, 
the Q2M is also a very good prototype for the future SLx Monochrome.

Since the SL2 has a very good Mirrorless system, and has the best full frame lenses, 
it deserves to have a monochrome camera.

Thank you very much Leica for your wonderful work!

Here's me hoping there could be a Monochrom version of the SL2 ....with those SL APO Summicrons, it would probably be exquisite!  If there ever was such a Monochrom SL2, I'm trying to figure out if the "high res mode" would still do anything worthwhile or would it be superfluous at that stage, given part of the benefit of that pixel-shift mode is negating some of the issues (moire, false color) of the Bayer color filter? 

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

Is that a totally impartial opinion?

Hmm Steve

Is any opinion totally impartial? Certainly to the extent that I haven't done direct comparisons with lots of other lenses I guess it must be, but the concept of making lenses slightly slower so that you can make them better is certainly the case. 

I think that means no 😄

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, willeica said:

About 560 boxes of Tri-X is what I worked out. I haven't seen a Euro price yet. 

William

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Where I live, my nearest stockist has Tri-X for €10.33 a roll. At the price which you show, the price is 550 and one third rolls, so I was not too far out. The reason why I am doing this is so that film users can work out a value. There is a develop cost as well for Tri-X, so the number of rolls is considerably less than this depending on whether you process yourself or have someone else do it for you. The reason why I am doing this is because a lot of black and white shooters still use film. Has anyone done a comparison between the Q2M output and film output?

William

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, willeica said:

Where I live, my nearest stockist has Tri-X for €10.33 a roll. At the price which you show, the price is 550 and one third rolls, so I was not too far out. The reason why I am doing this is so that film users can work out a value. There is a develop cost as well for Tri-X, so the number of rolls is considerably less than this depending on whether you process yourself or have someone else do it for you. The reason why I am doing this is because a lot of black and white shooters still use film. Has anyone done a comparison between the Q2M output and film output?

William

Getting the film and 3rd party processing is the cheaper part for me ...it's the drum scans that are the really expensive bit!! ......

I haven't done anything remotely accurate in terms of comparing the Q2M vs film, and clearly files (whether they're natively digital or drum-scanned film) can be made to render with enormous variation. But my "feel" from looking at Q2M samples ..... vs drum scans off my 35mm / 120 / 5x4, typically either Acros 100 or Delta 100 .... is that the Q2M can certainly be made to look exceptionally film like. And if anything, even though i often add grain in Photoshop, the starting blocks of a very extensive tonal range of greys / clarity / lack of noise in Q2M files render them perhaps closer to the larger film formats than to the typically grainier output that one gets from 35mm.

I still think I can always get digital to more closely look like film when i shoot in more subdued light, however - highlights and harsh mid-day sun tend to very quickly tell me "that's digital", whereas i find the rendering between digital and film to be much easier to closely match if the image was taken in shade or overcast conditions.

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2020 at 9:37 AM, Stephen.s1 said:

After checking sample images from the Q-M (is that correct?) I think it would behoove Leitz to pack the most commonly used B/W filters with each camera.

Leica's 49mm filters are not being sold yet (preorder only, $150 per piece). Currently, B+W filters seem to be the best choice. I wonder how many 49mm filters are still in stock at the retailers, as it is not a very common size.

On 11/14/2020 at 2:02 PM, dantemi said:

Mine arrived yesterday as well and I wondered why people were complaining with the lens cap, I confirm that it is so tight that some work is needed to remove and reposition it...

the camera is awesome and the mono sensor looks really great in terms of low light capabilities and dynamic range

I'm going with the Match  Cap.. i know it's rubber but i think i'll be good with it.  I almost lost my Q2 cap  in the subway turnstile  it was shortly  after that  i got the Match.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 10:41 PM, AaronMRamsey said:

Is it worth buying I wonder if one already owns a Q2? 

I think it is...  that's  why I'm doing it.  I t will be a christmas to me  from me...  I think you should do the same..  Maine is beautiful.... Loads of Photo Ops.

Good luck in your decision- let us know when you get it.

On 11/14/2020 at 11:02 AM, dantemi said:

Mine arrived yesterday as well and I wondered why people were complaining with the lens cap, I confirm that it is so tight that some work is needed to remove and reposition it...

the camera is awesome and the mono sensor looks really great in terms of low light capabilities and dynamic range

The lens cap on my Q2M is quite a bit tighter fit than on my Q2. On the other hand, the thumbwheel is looser on my Q2M than on my Q2. I found it too stiff on Q2.

2 hours ago, Giguchan said:

I think it is...  that's  why I'm doing it.  I t will be a christmas to me  from me...  I think you should do the same..  Maine is beautiful.... Loads of Photo Ops.

Sound advice! I am probably going to pull the trigger, just need to make some room in the camera cabinet. There’s something to be said about the simplicity of the Q system, and having a monochrome camera, well, that will bring me right back to my days roaming the streets of Paris with a Nikon Fm3A and Ilford Delta Pro 100. It’s a foregone conclusion at this point, and I’m looking forward to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Giguchan said:

And yes, Maine is exquisite. I am very fortunate to live here. 

5 hours ago, Giguchan said:

I'm going with the Match  Cap.. i know it's rubber but i think i'll be good with it.  I almost lost my Q2 cap  in the subway turnstile  it was shortly  after that  i got the Match.

That’s what I did with my Q2 and ordered the same for the Q2M. No idea where my original Q2 cap ended up - awful as it always fell off.

On 11/11/2020 at 10:43 PM, Giguchan said:

Silly question here...  Leica filters  better than B+W?

Thanks!!

At the Leica price they better be rendering unicorns and rainbows in every image. I gave them a miss and just went with my rock solid B+W MRC filters. 

Edited by gwelland

19 hours ago, AaronMRamsey said:

Sound advice! I am probably going to pull the trigger, just need to make some room in the camera cabinet. There’s something to be said about the simplicity of the Q system, and having a monochrome camera, well, that will bring me right back to my days roaming the streets of Paris with a Nikon Fm3A and Ilford Delta Pro 100. It’s a foregone conclusion at this point, and I’m looking forward to it. 

Another guy with a Cabinet!!!  That tells me you already up your mind!

Roaming Paris  with a Camera? Those days are gone.  The only way i would do that now is with a Rabid Pitbull. but with a FM3A?  man that sounds like pure love that!  Save a Q2M one for me..  i wont be ready till about Christmas or so  maybe even January.  I'm to get mine in Boston.

17 hours ago, gwelland said:

That’s what I did with my Q2 and ordered the same for the Q2M. No idea where my original Q2 cap ended up - awful as it always fell off.

I really like the Match cover! if it works as good as it does on the Q2  them I'm going to be very happy.

11 hours ago, Giguchan said:

Another guy with a Cabinet!!!  That tells me you already up your mind!

Roaming Paris  with a Camera? Those days are gone.  The only way i would do that now is with a Rabid Pitbull. but with a FM3A?  man that sounds like pure love that!  Save a Q2M one for me..  i wont be ready till about Christmas or so  maybe even January.  I'm to get mine in Boston.

Yeah that was back in 2004-2005. Spent a year there. Too bad you can't do that anymore...I'm sure a lot's changed since. I was considering getting my Q2M from Amazon but how cool would it be to take a drive down to Boston to get it at the Leica Store?? Never been inside! Decisions decisions haha.