Leica Q2 Monochrom

For those who are dedicated B&W photographers and enjoy using color filters at the time of capture and who also can afford the price, it looks like a great camera.  But as has been said, it fills a niche of a niche and is unlikely to be a "blockbuster," at least in terms of sales volume.  That said, I expect that the cost of development for Leica was not great, as they already had the monochrome technology and the camera body.  The only thing really new, it seems to me, is the sensor.

39 minutes ago, Leica28 said:

Hmmmm....the M10 Monochrom is $8295 - body only.  You still have to feed it....aka lenses...a 28mm 1.4 is about $7,000.

Who has a Q2 and doesn't already have M lenses? :)And I know many differ with this approach, but I don't use Leica cameras for when I need the absolute best IQ.. I have MF systems for that. I use Leica for images that I want to have character and emotion, so I'm more than happy to shoot an M10M with a 35 lux pre-asph or 50 cron pre-asph.. both of which I own already.. so for how I shoot (and I imagine for those who already have a decent M lens collection), it's not really that large of a financial gap to be crossed. 

If one is set on replicating a Q2M with a 28 Lux and a M10M, then I agree with you, financially that doesn't make much sense at all.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Clicknick said:

I would be interested to see Leica produce a Q2 with a "fixed" Tri-Elmar fixed lens, to give real optical zoom, not digital, which will not give the same perspectives.  28-50-75 would be fabulous.

hi There Nick

Common mistake - perspective is a function of the distance from the subject, not the focal length of the lens, so although a trielmar would maintain the 47Mp, it would produce the same perspective as the digital zoom on the Q2

So when using the crop on the Q cameras you have the same perspective as a 35/50/75, but you still get the depth of field of a 28mm lens

All the best

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ha, I remember on a Leica "wish list" type discussion here I wished for a Monochrome Q.  (Just checked my past content, it was almost exactly a year ago.)

I wished for it to have a 35mm lens though, so I can't take all the credit!

I do have a Q and an M Monochrom which I mostly use with a 35 Summicron.  This one will be tempting me in the long term.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

So when using the crop on the Q cameras you have the same perspective as a 35/50/75, but you still get the depth of field of a 28mm lens

This is great information,  I had always thought the dof would match the crop perspective of the lens angle, i.e. a 50mm crop would give the dof of a 50mm.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darylgo said:

This is great information,  I had always thought the dof would match the crop perspective of the lens angle, i.e. a 50mm crop would give the dof of a 50mm.  

The equivalent aperture scales with the focal length, so the DOF is equivalent to: 28mm/1.7, 35mm/2.1, 50mm/3.0, 75mm/45. Perspective depends purely on the distance from the subject.

So the Q2 in crop mode is like a 30MPx camera with a 35mm/2.1 "Summicron" with the added benefit of a 28mm viewfinder (rangefinder like).

What I would like to have seen in the FW update is a feature to optionally magnify the 35mm (or 50mm) field of view in the EVF.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, sfphoto said:

The equivalent aperture scales with the focal length, so the DOF is equivalent to: 28mm/1.7, 35mm/2.1, 50mm/3.0, 75mm/45. Perspective depends purely on the distance from the subject.

So the Q2 in crop mode is like a 30MPx camera with a 35mm/2.1 "Summicron" with the added benefit of a 28mm viewfinder (rangefinder like).

What I would like to have seen in the FW update is a feature to optionally magnify the 35mm (or 50mm) field of view in the EVF.

Nicely put, it seems so simple, but causes so much confusion! I hadn't thought about it (because, to be honest, if I need to crop I do it in post processing) but your optional magnification is a good idea

Best

44 minutes ago, sfphoto said:

Does the sensor become smaller so to speak when you crop or is it simply a lower resolution sensor but the same full frame size?

4 hours ago, darylgo said:

Good point.  I am waiting for the niche within a niche within a niche. 🙂

Me too... They should make one with a 50 APO on the front... Now *that* would be a niched niche! Self-bricking in a Decade feature could be an extra marketing point.

• Like 2