Leica Q2 Monochrom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...cont. from previous post above.

C1 crop tool showing area available to "uncrop" that Leica deems unsatisfactory due to the distortion correction:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Crop removed to reveal entire available image, which is ~52.6mp:

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Highlights gone, but I still like the look:

I've found that forcing the HDR can 'reveal' a little bit more. Also this can reduce the overall coverage of the 'Exp. warning' dots. In the latter's case it CAN completely clear all the 'Exp. warning' dots. YMMV
C1 >> Exposure tool >> High Dynamic Range >> Highlight >> pull from middle all the way over to left

Edited by piran
typos/eyesight :-|
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, piran said:

I've found that forcing the HDR can 'reveal' a little bit more. Also this can reduce the overall coverage of the 'Exp. warning' dots. In the latter's case it CAN completely clear all the 'Exp. warning' dots. YMMV
C1 >> Exposure tool >> High Dynamic Range >> Highlight >> pull from middle all the way over to left

At least with that shot, there was no recoverable detail in the white areas in C1 with the highlight tool, and everything would just turn dingy gray. But those blown areas were basically very large specular highlights, as if looking directly into the light source it was reflecting.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 2:57 AM, Anders Vinberg said:

I can’t agree. I have been shooting exclusively with Fuji X-T2, X-T3, X-Pro3 and GFX100 since mid 2017 and I have never seen a grid pattern like this. And this picture was shot at f/11, I had a (weaker) grid at f/8, and didn’t shoot at f/16.

Ok, I rarely shoot into the sun, the Q2M inspired some risk taking, and it paid off, all but these few pictures were great.

But this is a weakness I have to watch out for.

Definitely a weakness. I shot outside today in a low winter sun and had grids and flare to an extent I haven’t seen with any other camera I have used. Visible in every shot with the sun in the frame. I used an orange filter - not sure if that matters. 

On 12/31/2020 at 4:33 PM, nwphil said:

ahhh - another Angelo Pelle fan :) - Got the strap and case in black;  Art d' Mano has a more functional ( and ubber expensive) case as it allows the removal of the sd card, but I am hoping Leica improves the app enough in 2021 so I can just download directly from camera. Not set in a bag yet....

Ended up with the AdM – thank you for pointing out the SD card access thing, as I use that several times a day. Decided to get the brown as a connection to sepia toning, and Leica Store Miami had this case and strap in stock. I did order the Angelo Pelle "Henri" camera bag in camo for the Q2M – should be here soon, and will match the one in safari green I have for the Q-P. The matching AdM bag was not only insanely expensive, but I'd rather have the old-school Billingham-style closure versus the AdM metal mechanism.

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

Ended up with the AdM – thank you for pointing out the SD card access thing, as I use that several times a day. Decided to get the brown as a connection to sepia toning, and Leica Store Miami had this case and strap in stock. I did order the Angelo Pelle "Henri" camera bag in camo for the Q2M – should be here soon, and will match the one in safari green I have for the Q-P. The matching AdM bag was not only insanely expensive, but I'd rather have the old-school Billingham-style closure versus the AdM metal mechanism.

I have to say it looks nice with the brown case  and strap - I was considering a darker brown actually. It's too late as yuo already got a bag, but there is this artisan in the philippines/indonesia" YBPutro. He does not have a website,  and only posts on Instagram. I like his bags, as they are a very simple clean design. Bought a wrist and shoulder strap from him so far. Only tiny snag is that he does not burnishes the edges as other makers do. Does not bother me, as his leather comes out pretty smooth.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Giguchan said:

That  sure is a nice case!  Looks just like my ADM..

Looks like superior  Quality!!

The quality is indeed nice – maybe too nice! The Angelo Pelle bag I bought for it is great, but it's a bit outclassed by the workmanship and leather of the AdM case and strap. The matching AdM bag may still be in my future, but for now placed an order for the Billingham Leica Combination M bag as a waterproof solution that will fit the Q2M, charger, and color filters comfortably (or maybe both my Qs a in there tightly). I currently have the Billingham 72, but it won't hold the charger, just the camera, one spare battery, and one extra filter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Q2M video query: 

I recorded a video last week which was fine. Today I used the Fotos app to start the recording. The result was the playback on the camera is in slow motion. I can't see where on the app or camera this could have been chosen, nor can I see how to restore recording to normal speed.

Any advice? 

1 hour ago, RobM said:

Q2M video query: 

I recorded a video last week which was fine. Today I used the Fotos app to start the recording. The result was the playback on the camera is in slow motion. I can't see where on the app or camera this could have been chosen, nor can I see how to restore recording to normal speed.

Any advice? 

Some modern cars' CPU invoke a 'limp mode' to get you home despite a possibly critical fault. You may have found Leica's back door to something similar. 🙂 Maybe the battery was too cold. Thinking more deeply... for a playback to be in slow motion the recording must've been made at an accelerated rate. So you may need to look for a high speed recording issue rather than a slow motion playback? Difference in frame-rates? Weird though. 

Edited by piran
typos/eyesight :-|
  • Like 1

It's somewhat easy to bump the recording type/speed; but the app is far less than perfect. Now, it's the exiff showing the recording done in high speed settings? I would assume the settings you have in the camera will indeed be exactly the same as displayed in the app, but maybe not, maybe there is yet another app bug here

ps: you need video editing to change the recording speed, but sound will remain absent

Edited by nwphil
  • Like 1

Well, I tried again, and noted that the camera settings and the app settings were identical. 

Phil - you say "It's somewhat easy to bump the recording type/speed", but I can't see how to do that. Please explain. 

My settings were F2, 1/125, 6400.

2 hours ago, piran said:

Thinking more deeply... for a playback to be in slow motion the recording must've been made at an accelerated rate. So you may need to look for a high speed recording issue rather than a slow motion playback? Difference in frame-rates?

fps (frame-rates)

No, Roy, I can't see a way to do that.

I've discovered (and this might be common knowledge outside of my brain) that the only setting that does slomo is 120fps, all the other settings work normally.

Edited by RobM

58 minutes ago, RobM said:

Sorted! I had the video resolution set to Full HD 120fps. I changed it to 4k 24fps, and the recording was at normal speed. All is OK, but there is clearly something I don't understand here. 

that's why I said it's somewhat easy - to change, forget that was changed, or not noticing that was changed 😛

28 minutes ago, RobM said:

No, Roy, I can't see a way to do that.

I've discovered (and this might be common knowledge outside of my brain) that the only setting that does slomo is 120fps, all the other settings work normally.

I know it's weird, but almost seems it works in opposite way: a high frame rate plays the motion in slow and a very low frame rate plays in fast speed ( without altering video player settings)

In reality it's because in very simple terms, at 120fps has more frames to display, hence takes more time to do it ( it's not an official explanation, and any video-guru would eat me alive for saying  it this way, but I think helps understand it better)

The Q does not have anything below 24fps I think

• Like 1