Leica Q2 Monochrom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, vedivv said:

I used to live in Boston and felt the same when between December and March.  Do you use special lamps at home to keep your away from depression?

Actually the key issue is the lack of vitamin D which directly affects kids and adults mood as well.

the only solution is to fly somewhere  - but now due the Covid its not an option

5 hours ago, EdwardM said:

Actually the key issue is the lack of vitamin D which directly affects kids and adults mood as well.

the only solution is to fly somewhere  - but now due the Covid its not an option

Daylight lamps actually do work - my doctor prescribed me vitamin D to supplement/intake during the fall winter times and I live in Oregon - in a valley region. Not so much in the way of snow, but cloudy and foggy days along with light rain/mist happen often . No it's not like the movie "sleepless in Seattle" in which the rainy days amount shown wee overdone btw...lol. 

Not afraid to take the M240 in the rain - just a pita dealing with the floating mist; hence, won't be afraid of taking out the Q2M either.

As far as walking around, well...Portland sucks a bit as a cityscape, so one was to be very picky as where to go. In truth I felt safer waling around at night in Chicago or NYC last year for instance.

Boston - love that city. Have not been there in a while, but has some tricky spots around downtown John Hancock building area was one of them...

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 9:33 PM, SrMi said:

Some of Amazon's sellers are conspicuous,  but Camera West is very reliable.

You can’t trust Amazon to ship from the seller shown. I recently ordered a new Canon lens and the seller was listed as one store, but it came from another — vendor bait and switch. The lens was an obvious demo or returned item being sold as new. I returned it of course, but it put me out the days it took to get it, the days it took it to arrive back at the seller, the days it took them to refund the amount, then the days it took for the credit to show back up on my card. Avoid Amazon and order directly from your store of choice online or by phone.

2 hours ago, hdmesa said:

You can’t trust Amazon to ship from the seller shown. I recently ordered a new Canon lens and the seller was listed as one store, but it came from another — vendor bait and switch. The lens was an obvious demo or returned item being sold as new. I returned it of course, but it put me out the days it took to get it, the days it took it to arrive back at the seller, the days it took them to refund the amount, then the days it took for the credit to show back up on my card. Avoid Amazon and order directly from your store of choice online or by phone.

Agreed. If you see something available from Camera West or another reputable source, contact them directly. You may only lose on free shipping. 

On 11/19/2020 at 12:24 AM, Giguchan said:

AMAZON?  Scamazon is more like it...  I received a counterfeit  Nikon Battery  from them...  thats why their Return/exchange policy is so good.  I don't buy anything from them!

I loves to Travel.  I have never been  North  on an Amtrak  train before. Never been to Boston  either.. Sooo..  I took a few days off from work.  Took a LIRR  from Long Island  to NYC and then  caught me a Regional  to Beantown.  This was a Solo  trip so i had to make the best of it.  Found my room and settled in..  woke up early and then  took a 15 minute walk  to the Leica Boutique.

We Have a Leica Boutique  in Manhattan but they  didn't have one  when i was ready.  The Sales folk  were  really cool and the chap Enrique  was very helpful.  I even  bought all my attachments  with me  that i didn't even purchase  there which they helped me with.  I mean i didn't even spend  a lot of money compared to what other people were spending.  They answered all my dumb questions too..  Sadly it rained the whole time..  so i didn't get a chance to shoot Boston. Can't  wait to do it all again..

That sucks about Amazon...getting 5% back on a $5,995 order isn't bad, covers the taxes at least. But I hear ya. I'll probably head to the Boston store when I'm ready. Maybe do some walking around with it too! 

7 hours ago, SrMi said:

Agreed. If you see something available from Camera West or another reputable source, contact them directly. You may only lose on free shipping. 

Camera West actually is offering free shipping on the Q2M - the funny thing was that I submitted an order with a trade-in almost 5  day ago, and still no reply, despite at rhe time showing it in stock. Then saw their advert on Amazon, and took a chnce.Order placed on Friday, and will arrive Tuesday via FedEx - yes, receipt and shipping info does show Camera West

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/19/2020 at 10:41 PM, Leica28 said:

The Q2M listed on Amazon is sold by Camera West.  Are they not legit?

Sorry  for the late reply.

I don't know anything about Camera West.  All i can tell you  is that if it's  Advertised on Amazon  I'm not interested.

CW could be the the most Legit  company on the planet..   I've had bad  experiences  so that left a bad taste in my mouth.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:29 PM, EdwardM said:

Q2M is definitely  exiting camera,  but living  in Moscow, from September till April you don't need monochrome camera. 

What about all those good looking women?  Must  be hard to keep them from  getting your Leica Money!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 12:13 PM, hdmesa said:

23 hours ago, SrMi said:

That's what i would do.

5 hours ago, Giguchan said:

Sorry  for the late reply.

I don't know anything about Camera West.  All i can tell you  is that if it's  Advertised on Amazon  I'm not interested.

CW could be the the most Legit  company on the planet..   I've had bad  experiences  so that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Hopefully  not a hole in your pocket...yeah,  Amazon  is not what's  used to be. Not a mine field likee Ebay, but pays to back it out  with a cc. 

Will be ordering one tomorrow from the Leica store.  It will compliment my M10 Monochrom for when I want to take the easy road, when I’m traveling and don’t want to deal with multiple lenses, or when the weather is off (which can be a ton of fun to shoot in).  I had the Q2 and did not keep it due to its subpar low light performance compared to a Monochrom sensor.  The camera itself was awesome in many regards.  The concept and practicality of this Q2 Monochrom are equally insane.  I can’t wait! 

My Q2M arrived from B&H - phenomenal camera! I've had the original Q since its release; love the Q2 design and of course the B&W files are a pleasure to work with. 

However, I'm having an issue with the aperture setting not lining up with the aperture markers on the dial. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. f5.6 and below seem to work consistently fine, but when set to f8 the actual aperture is sometimes f9; f11 is sometimes f13. 

Has this ever happened on a Q before? I'm hoping this is a software bug that can be fixed with FW and not a mechanical problem requiring warranty repair. 

I emailed Leica USA so they can track the issue and give guidance on resolution.  

Edited by andrewteee

23 minutes ago, andrewteee said:

My Q2M arrived from B&H - phenomenal camera! I've had the original Q since its release; love the Q2 design and of course the B&W files are a pleasure to work with. 

However, I'm having an issue with the aperture setting not lining up with the aperture markers on the dial. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. f5.6 and below seem to work consistently fine, but when set to f8 the actual aperture is sometimes f9; f11 is sometimes f13. 

Has this ever happened on a Q before? I'm hoping this is a software bug that can be fixed with FW and not a mechanical problem requiring warranty repair. 

I emailed Leica USA so they can track the issue and give guidance on resolution.  

It seems like a defect:

On 11/18/2020 at 12:28 PM, nwphil said:

ah-ah if it is the placing inside the box so I can unbox it is delaying it, then a ziplock  bag will do 😁

Given the level of "care and concern" that FedEx/UPS/DHL/USPS/EIEIO delivery drivers exhibit toward packages in their charge these days, I think I'd opt to wait an extra three minutes for my $6000 USD Q2 Mono to be boxed. 

On second thought, perhaps Leica should start dispatching them in Pelican cases...

Edited by Herr Barnack

I noticed that I can see comfortably through the viewfinder both with and without my glasses, without making any adjustment.  This could be a Q2 feature as well, but I don’t have one to try with.  My usually glasses correct for near-sightedness and have a power of -3.25 (and a few more corrections).  My Ms nor my wife’s Q are usable without having my glasses on.  The Q2M however is comfortable.  Not perfect without glasses, but sufficient for my use not to bother with the diopter.

Overall I am superbly satisfied with the Q2M.  The main reason to purchase it is that it allows a few things that I cannot do with analog Ms: shooting while it’s raining, in the dark.  Oh, and the macro is a welcome extra too.  Were it not for the rain, I would have been tempted with the M mono.  Currently the Q2M is a true extension to my toolkit and doesn’t compete for attention.

Edited by harmen
  • Like 2

The fact that Leica is expanding their line-up should be celebrated. And this particular camera is the perfect tool for me personally, as I:

• shoot predominantly black&white
  • am often exposed to the elements
  • use the 21-35mm range, and 28mm is the sweet spot in which I'm at my most creative
  • will use the video function, and the quality of video was excellent on the Q2 despite possible limitations
  • will not worry about the sensor or if I took the right lens or filters
  • actually enjoy the constraints of the camera

So I have to thank the team for offering such a product. I think this camera will be successful, and I'm actually glad that more people will try working in mono and hopefully change the perception of black&white photography as being less creative and modern than colour.

• Like 6