Leica Q2 Monochrom

Two 'noises' in play

1) in the centre with the leaves 'stopping down' (may help visualise available DOF which might otherwise make composition difficult at say f11).

2) the auto-focus stepper motor... over to the right according to my keen ears.

Try manual focusing ...without the focus stepper motor whirring. You'll still experience the leaves being stopped down (unless in f1.7 as nwphil pointed out) ...but there will be one less noise.

Edited by piran
typos/eyesight :-|
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Q2M is in the post, and should arrive tomorrow. Of course, delivery on Christmas Eve cannot be guaranteed, so I might have to wait until Monday. That would be a pity, as I quite fancy the idea of a b&w Christmas Day portfolio...

It's coming from Ffordes near Inverness, to Edinburgh. 

• Like 3

On 12/23/2020 at 12:09 PM, RobM said:

My Q2M is in the post, and should arrive tomorrow. Of course, delivery on Christmas Eve cannot be guaranteed, so I might have to wait until Monday. That would be a pity, as I quite fancy the idea of a b&w Christmas Day portfolio...

It's coming from Ffordes near Inverness, to Edinburgh. 

Ffordes service is usually excellent so I hope it arrived.  Having enjoyed your M Mono photos, I look forward to seeing your Q2M photos.

• Like 1

I haven't much time with it, just enough to take a few jpgs around the house and the path outside. So, these are unedited, straight-out-of-the-camera, jpgs. I just know there's a lot more detail in the dng files. No time to edit, just enough time to share. 

Autofocus is new to me, and it didn't always go where I wanted it to, but will learn how to use it, and of course there is manual override anyway. 

I was just on Auto everything...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2020 at 12:58 PM, Anders Vinberg said:

No, the sun star is there, that’s normal, but the vertical and horizontal grid pattern is not. 
Sure, it may be some effect from the sensor structure, but that’s not good.
I have not seen that on anything from a phone to a 100 mp medium format.

Unfortunately the grid pattern sensor reflections happen with a lot of modern mirrorless cameras, including the GFX line with GF lenses. I've seen them on every mirrorless system I've used – X100V, GFX 50S/R, Canon RP/R/Ra/R6/R5, and Leica Q (don't remember seeing them on the SL, though). Depending on the lens (seems easier to conjure with wide angles), f-stop (f/16+) and the angle/intensity of the sun, it can be anywhere from mild to severe enough to completely ruin a shot. But I have to say it doesn't look nearly as bad on a monochrome sensor as it does on a color sensor.

If you want to see the grid pattern on another system, take a look at the DPR sample images from their review of the Fujifilm GF 30 lens – it's pretty jarring in one of the shots. If you haven't seen this pattern yet, you're either still using a DSLR or haven't encountered the right situation. Usually when I get this pattern, I open the lens back up to at least f/8 or change my orientation/composition until the pattern goes away.

Edited by hdmesa

I can’t agree. I have been shooting exclusively with Fuji X-T2, X-T3, X-Pro3 and GFX100 since mid 2017 and I have never seen a grid pattern like this. And this picture was shot at f/11, I had a (weaker) grid at f/8, and didn’t shoot at f/16.

Ok, I rarely shoot into the sun, the Q2M inspired some risk taking, and it paid off, all but these few pictures were great.

But this is a weakness I have to watch out for.

11 hours ago, hdmesa said:

If you want to see the grid pattern on another system, take a look at the DPR sample images from their review of the Fujifilm GF 30 lens – it's pretty jarring in one of the shots. If you haven't seen this pattern yet, you're either still using a DSLR or haven't encountered the right situation. Usually when I get this pattern, I open the lens back up to at least f/8 or change my orientation/composition until the pattern goes away.

Why would a mirrorless camera be more susceptible to this artifact than a DSLR?
It’s still light transmitting through a lens to a digital sensor?

3 hours ago, RoySmith said:

Why would a mirrorless camera be more susceptible to this artifact than a DSLR?
It’s still light transmitting through a lens to a digital sensor?

I'm not sure, but I never saw them with the Canon 5D4, but the same sensor on the R will show them. It probably has something to do with changes in the sensor design needed to accommodate the shorter flange distance.

14 hours ago, Anders Vinberg said:

I can’t agree. I have been shooting exclusively with Fuji X-T2, X-T3, X-Pro3 and GFX100 since mid 2017 and I have never seen a grid pattern like this...

You just haven't encountered the right lens + f-stop + sun angle to produce them yet. Throw on a wide angle and put the midday sun in the top third of the frame and stop down to f/11-16 to get a sunstar. The example below on the GFX 100 + GF 30 at f/22 is pretty extreme – usually the effect is about half this bad at f/16.

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/8431037430/the-gf-30mm-f3-5-r-wr-sample-gallery-dpreview-tv

37 minutes ago, Anders Vinberg said:

In fact, my Hasselblad friend who bought a Q2M at the same time said, now what are we going to do with our medium format gear...

Looking forward to comparing the Q2M with color filters to GFX 50R b&w conversions using the color sliders in post. There have been rumors of a 100mp monochrome GFX in 2021, but I'm skeptical.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

Looking forward to comparing the Q2M with color filters to GFX 50R b&w conversions using the color sliders in post. There have been rumors of a 100mp monochrome GFX in 2021, but I'm skeptical.

ahhh - another Angelo Pelle fan :) - Got the strap and case in black;  Art d' Mano has a more functional ( and ubber expensive) case as it allows the removal of the sd card, but I am hoping Leica improves the app enough in 2021 so I can just download directly from camera. Not set in a bag yet....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nwphil said:

ahhh - another Angelo Pelle fan :) - Got the strap and case in black;  Art d' Mano has a more functional ( and ubber expensive) case as it allows the removal of the sd card, but I am hoping Leica improves the app enough in 2021 so I can just download directly from camera. Not set in a bag yet....

Yeah, great stuff. My Q-P wears their safari green strap and matching safari green "Henri" camera bag. I didn't know their case won't let you get to the SD card, though. My Q-P wears the basic Leica Protector Case in black. I was set on getting that for the Q2M, but unfortunately it has the Q2 diamond texture instead of the Q2M leather texture. Not sure if Leica will make a Q2M version of the case – probably not, but who knows. I'll check out Art d' Mano, thanks! Anyway, for the strap, I ended up using my black Hawksmill "Kensington" instead. My Q2M seems to be happier with a minimalist black strap for now :) 

https://hawkesmill.com/product/kensington-leather-camera-strap-stitched-black/

Daylight was dying by the time my battery was charged, but from the first few snaps under the kitchen stove light, the output looks great. Highlights are definitely gone if not exposed for, but at least the shadow recovery looks to be penalty-free at lower ISOs. Not tried high ISO yet.

Highlights gone, but I still like the look:

Underexposed and raised shadows in image below. Also using the crop tool in C1, I removed the Leica crop to get the full available 9140 x 5750 image (distortion correction left intact). Sometimes at infinity focus, removing the crop will reveal hard corners and/or soft corners. But for close-up shots with a central subject where corner sharpness is not an issue, this can be a nice way to get back more of the original image area.

• Like 3