The Anatomy of the new 2022 Leica M6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have tried to capture as many details as possible of the new Leica M6 re-issue. Please feel free to add your observations and images.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The back and rewind crank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Top plate

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Open film chamber - bottoms up

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Thank you,

I find the release Button is little soft(not confidence inspiring) as compared to my 2000 M6,t hat I traded to up grade.Release button does not have as much resistance when pressed. 

Ckicking/release of shutter sound is the same. I have checked it also against M6TTL.

view founder is bright and top and bottom plates are brass.

presentation box is nice but not better than old one

Yes , you do  get Varta CR1/3 lithium battery and spare battery holder in case you lose original, it has slot,so  can use coin to turn it instead of using pinch to unscrew.

Reflecting back ,Was it worth for me to trade in old M6, I say NO, but then I wanted a new camera.i just got it yesterday.

I do have M11,M10M,SL2 and Q2 and brick M9(corroded sensor).

Edited by leica5
forgot to mention you get nice leather strap instead of comfortable vinyl one.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, leica5 said:

HI Al Brown, 

your leica M6 photos are eye candy,How do you like it with new lens,i have the  new lens but did not eyt a chance to use it yet

Thanks, I have posted a couple of images with the new Simmilux Steel Rim wide open here (done with my Reporter), TBH I thought the lens would not be that awesome, especially after what I was seenig on the web. This copy is just stellar though.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cj3209 said:

That tiny shutter speed dial...that's so close to the hot shoe...sigh...It didn't have to be EXACTLY like the classic M6...  GG...

Same as my MA..... I don't find it to be a problem at all....  and besides, they are bringing back the original MA, no re-inventing it.... jim

Congrats - it looks stunning. Makes me really want one! Exactly like a classic Wetzlar era M6. What I like is that they've addressed the couple of niggles the original had - the zinc top now being brass, and the viewfinder I think might just be the best thing about the new camera. I had an M6 for many years, and the occasionally flaring rangefinder patch was a bit of a fly in the ointment. Never had any trouble with bubbles on the zinc top plate though.

There's one little thing I notice, that I've not seen before - the film pressure plate. It's got four screw heads showing in the corners. They seem to be recessed, so shouldn't scratch the film, but it does look unusual. I just checked the plate on my M4, and it's completely smooth. Also, the tiny cylindrical grip on the end of the fold-out part of the rewind crank looks different to the M4's - is that a metal part, do you think?

Anyway, thanks for posting the pictures, and hope you enjoy!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, colint544 said:

There's one little thing I notice, that I've not seen before - the film pressure plate. It's got four screw heads showing in the corners. They seem to be recessed, so shouldn't scratch the film, but it does look unusual. I just checked the plate on my M4, and it's completely smooth. 

I'm not sure when (or why) Leica switched to using screws to secure the pressure plate, but my 2017 M-A has that as well, so it's not new.  They are sufficiently recessed and have never caused film scratches. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, logan2z said:

I'm not sure when (or why) Leica switched to using screws to secure the pressure plate, but my 2017 M-A has that as well, so it's not new.  They are sufficiently recessed and have never caused film scratches. 

Yes, likely something trifling like, it's easier for a technician to remove the pressure plate. All in, I think Leica have scored a massive hit with this camera. It looks just right, and I suspect they'll sell as many of them as they can make.

• Like 1