M6 TTL Flash Indicator

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!  

I had previously posted some questions about using the Leica SF20 flash with my M6 TTL.

I've shot through a few rolls since first getting it and quite liked the results (and experimenting a bit!) 

However, on my latest roll when trying to use the flash I can't seem to get the flash unit to fire in any mode while on camera.

I...

- Turned off the body

- Attached the flash to the hot-shoe

- Turned on the body to flash sync speed (or slower)

- Turned on the SF20 to "TTL" mode, and tap the soft shutter on the M6 and the LCD reads out "400 iso"

When trying to take a photo and looking through the viewfinder I see the flash symbol (it's solid) on the right hand side, and when taking a photo it never flashes/blinks/etc. From the M6 manual I assume _something_ should occur with the indicator, and the flash should fire.  

I've checked the hot-shoe contacts and it all seems fine.  I haven't tried swapping out M6 batteries yet, or flash batteries because it fires on tests just fine, and my meter workout without issue.  Is there anything else I should check or try out?  I was able to test the SF20 on a friend's Fujifilm and it fired without issue in "auto" mode.  I tried manual/auto and it didn't do anything either.  Very odd!

I don't have 'the' answer to your question but judging from your information it would seem that the problem may occur in your M6TTL instead of with the SF20. I am using the SF20 for more than twnety years without problem. Perhaps you should try another flash unti to see if that works at all on the M6TTL. I always put the ISO value manually on the SF20 just to make sure, try that as well. And I assume you correctly chose the correct shutter time for flash.

Lex

22 hours ago, sandro said:

I don't have 'the' answer to your question but judging from your information it would seem that the problem may occur in your M6TTL instead of with the SF20. I am using the SF20 for more than twnety years without problem. Perhaps you should try another flash unti to see if that works at all on the M6TTL. I always put the ISO value manually on the SF20 just to make sure, try that as well. And I assume you correctly chose the correct shutter time for flash.

Lex

Thanks for the reply Lex!  I've tested the SF20 on another body and it worked in auto mode (the other camera didn't support TTL).  I have swapped out the batteries in the camera body which didn't seem to help, and have also tried cleaning off the contacts as best I could with a pencil eraser.  Still nothing!  I don't shoot flash often, but I bought (and used) the SF20 in December without issue and now it's giving me these issues lol. 

EDIT: Adding the M6 TTL flash section from the manual for reference. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by kzisme
addition