Choosing new film M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/10/2024 at 6:22 AM, Big John said:

Shot film in the 80s and 90s (Olympus and Nikon) then digital only for past 20 years (including SL 601 since it came out)  Loaded my Nikon F5 last year and loved shooting film again.  Now considering an M.

Have read and watched all I can, so understand the differences between the 3 currently available film M cameras but still undecided. Don’t mind black or chrome (and not chasing a BP finish).  Have always had a light meter in my camera (apart from shooting my Dad’s old Ilford as a kid) but am attracted to the simplicity of the M-A. Areas I could use advice on include the following please:

- quality control issues, not sure if M6 scratching film issue has gone away.

- viewfinder, which is best?  (My eyesight is ok but am in mid 50s). 

- reliability over the long term.

Anyone else been in my situation?  How did you choose?

Thanks for your help everyone. 

Once I decided to get a Leica M film camera (after the M6 reissue came out) I decided to get an older M6 TTL. Good light meter. I also acquired a 0.85 RF for my needs and the liked that so much I acquired a 0.58 same model. So I keep a 50mm (Summicron f2 from 1956) on one and a 35 Steel Rim on the other. 

• Like 1

So, did the OP ever decide?  I reread the thread and could not find an answer.  I spent February, 2024, trying to decide between a new MP, new MA, or M10R and ended up with a black paint MP and rediscovered how useful the built in meter is (Owned original M6, M6TTL and M5 a few years ago).  I also own a mint black chrome anniversary M4 so have had a meterless camera for years.  

• Like 1

Am still deciding - was in Leica UK last wk handling an M6.  I think that's the one.  Ruled out MP BP due to finger print magnet, MP silver is still a possible, M-A.....I really think I need the light meter.  Only issue stopping me deciding right now is the SL3 coming out!  I have the original SL and am contemplating upgrading.

Well, I purchased a new MP last month.  I also have a mint M4 so cameras with both a meter and non meter.  I think the meter in a camera is useful and I wanted something different than the M4.  Both M's are great.

• Like 1