Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

M11 Update: 

Here is what I know so far. It was reconfirmed to me that the new BSI sensor will be able to shoot around 60MP, with lower resolution compressed raws. Not sure exactly of the numbers but it will be something around 20-40-60 MP

No baseplate confirmed. 

Q2 style battery confirmed. 

Highest weatherproofing rating of any M yet. 

Low light capabilities will be unprecedented. 

No EVF confirmed. New visoflex with the same resolution and latency as the SL2. 

Now, here's the new thing I know. The designed will be different, and apparently, most of us will hate it. It is said to be smaller than the M10, but not in height, just on the sides. I am hearing the design will be more squared than round. The people who've seen have said very bad things about it so far. 

After all, the M10R BP might be the last great digital M. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Now, here's the new thing I know. The designed will be different, and apparently, most of us will hate it. It is said to be smaller than the M10, but not in height, just on the sides. I am hearing the design will be more squared than round. The people who've seen have said very bad things about it so far. 

I really hope Leica doesn't change the form factor.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

New visoflex with the same resolution and latency as the SL2. 

Thnx for the update.

Will the new visoflex work with the last great digital M?

1 hour ago, Steven said:

M11 Update: 

Here is what I know so far. It was reconfirmed to me that the new BSI sensor will be able to shoot around 60MP, with lower resolution compressed raws. Not sure exactly of the numbers but it will be something around 20-40-60 MP

No baseplate confirmed. 

You did not explicitly say it still has an OVF and mechanical rangefinder  - just no EVF.

The description could be read like a cross between a M, TL and Sigma fp-L, with a external EVF. Perhaps the new battery and shape will facilitate video and very long exposure use.

If so it would be suicidal to drop the tradition M10R/M RF bodies from production - I suspect they will remember that the M5 almost sank the company.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

25 minutes ago, cirke said:

the first M1 was NOT a rangefinder

Nor was it the first M, that was the M3 (1954) , the M2 (1956) followed, then came the M1 (1959)  and the MD (1964 - no viewfinder at all).

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cirke said:

the first M1 was NOT a rangefinder

Leica M camera with built-in EVF rumored again (Leica RM?)  https://leicarumors.com/2021/06/20/leica-m-camera-with-built-in-evf-rumored-again-leica-rm.aspx/

Maybe finally a true camera to put behind the M lenses

It would be a very small incentive to buy for SL and CL owners - and most M owners  too. But a source of great joy for a few - whether that makes a sustainable market case is  for Leica to decide.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steven said:

M11 Update: 

No baseplate confirmed. 

Hopefully the square camera doesn’t come to fruition. The M5 deviated and was more square and in my opinion the ugliest M. 

For my hand size the M is perfect  if it were smaller I think I’d have a hard time. One of my fingers does not operate due to a sports injury and I notice it when using the D Lux and CL camera. 

The rest of the rumors are just so so for me. I like the EVF if I can use on M10M and R. 

7 hours ago, Steven said:

M11 Update: 

If this is true I foresee a big demand for the M10R. I might be one of them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gobert said:

If this is true I foresee a big demand for the M10R. I might be one of them.

Agree 100%. I was contemplating selling my R because of low usage and to maximize selling value in case I buy a M11. 

However, I will likely just hold on to the R. 

I won’t be in for it, though everything but the change in body size and shape looks about right.

Truth is, the M cameras I have are as much as I need.  The M10-R Black Paint looks lovely, but I don’t need more pixels and buying just for the finish is pure wastefulness.  The M10-D does it for me …

11 hours ago, Steven said:

M11 Update: 

No baseplate confirmed. 

Are you sure this isn't Leica re-badging the Sigma FpL😃.

• Haha 3

M11 Update: 

No baseplate confirmed. 

I wonder if Leica is taking a page out of Microsoft’s playbook.

Windows 3.1.1 -> M8 (primitive but revolutionary at the time with flaws and limitations)

Windows 95/98 -> M9 (a mature vision of a new paradigm/era)

Windows ME -> M typ240 (bloat)

Windows XP -> M10 (classic design with modern accoutrements, the end of an era for a classic design)

Windows Vista -> M11 (trying too hard to be different and alienating the core customer base)

Edited by beewee

16 hours ago, Sam M said:

Make the battery non-removable?

Hmm.. so after 2-3 years of use, the battery is left with 60% of original capacity so you now need to send it to a Leica Store and have them replace the battery which will cost $500 and take 6 months?

Edited by beewee

I doubt this will happen for the M11 but I’m hoping the M12 will have a BSI stacked sensor memory architecture that can achieve high speed global sensor readout without any rolling shutter effects, even well above 1/16000 second. At this point, we will no longer need a focal plane shutter which will make room for IBIS without increasing the overall size of the body.

From what I understand, the main reason M10 bodies does not have IBIS is because there’s not enough room and the focal plane shutter mechanism is quite large relative to the interior volume of the camera so it conflicts/competes with IBIS in that IBIS also has volume requirements for motors, mechanical structure, and room for the sensor to shift. The M10 would not be able to remain its current size if it had both a focal plane shutter and IBIS. So in order to achieve the current M10 form factor, there’s no IBIS, or video for that matter since video also requires more cooling.

Edited by beewee

M11 Update: 

No baseplate confirmed. 

Sounds like Q2 with OVF added on top plus M mount.

Providing camera have IBIS and EVF is as good as SL2 sound like a winner in my book.

Those who will hate it can stick with M10 or M9 or M3 or pin-hole or camera obscura.

• Like 1