Leica M12 -- your next camera?

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Following a great example of @Al Brown, let's start a thread for the next one right away.

The starting topic will be this: M11 is a pretty radical departure from M10, which is a peak evolution of the full-frame digital M that started with M9.

M11 does not have an internal EVF/OVF combo, nor IBIS.  These are clearly two possible directions for the M to expand to.

M11 still does not have video.  However, the Maestro III processor and live view stabilization indicates that the processing power is there.  Could it be added later via firmware, left to M12, or left out of the M line for good?  For those of us with kids, taking one camera on a trip, video would be a great option to have.

What else do you think will come in M12 that is not in M11 but worth waiting for?

• Haha 1

My hope is for a new improved rangefinder, forget about EVF...

Optical magnification for each focal length (in a core set), adjustment of frame for focus distance, only one frame per lens shown, no distracting LED's...

...oh well, lone voice in the wilderness...

...but M3 is really all I need...

• Like 5

4 hours ago, didier said:

If we Leica fans are prolific enough, we may together beat the 6k posts we reached before launch of the M11 on the same thread :) 

Okay the nominations are closed and the 2022 Oskar Wisecrack award goes to Setup for starting this thread. Honorable mention to didier.  I was wondering just who'd take the plunge first. Nevertheless, and despite some reservations, never let it be said that TW failed to heed the call for excess buffoonery. I am here to help push this forward no matter the cost to personal reputation and sanity.

My guess is that the mechanical shutter is next on the extinction list.

My hope, at least at present, is that 60Mpx is it and we wont see 80 or 100 next.

My wish is that the next Leica M is the first platform to utilize the somewhat mythical Pano/Fuji organic sensor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I picked up the m11 today but would upgrade in a heartbeat if they added IBIS.  I like it on my Nikon Z because it allows me to use a lower ISO in low light situations.  I'm sure I just need to get used to holding the camera steady (IBIS has spoiled my technique) as some of the more seasoned Leica vets on this forum seem to have no issue capturing sharp photos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK now we have a new feature request from @neekon:

Return the shutter curtain metering cell back as a secondary metering system and provide a choice of on-sensor vs off-sensor metering.

Add EFCS, electronic first curtain shutter.

Do something about the shutter sound for those who do not like it?

Alleviate all the deficiencies collected here:

Edited by setuporg

7 hours ago, setuporg said:

Add EFCS, electronic first curtain shutter.

It is my hope that this can be added to the M11 with a firmware update, especially if enough people complain of shutter lag from having to close the mechanical shutter prior to making any exposure. Apologies if this has been proven impossible elsewhere, or if the shutter lag isn't actually an issue... I am still wading through the myriad of threads on the M11!

• Like 2

Well, IBIS and EVF have already been mentioned. Should we throw autofocus into the mix? Including, of course, eyeball recognition. Oh, and dedicated zoom lenses, telephotos to 600mm.

I had to edit because I forgot to add video.

Edited by fotografr
  • Haha 1

The best thing about the M12 will be that it will reduce the prices of the M10 and M11 ......

I was a little disappointed that the predecessor thread to this didn't get 11k posts. Starting this one early means that there is a lot of time to build up the hysteria to potentailly achieve a fitting 12k posts .....

Edited by pgk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1