The Leica M11 images thread

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, cboy said:

I understand the highlight recovery mentioned by red dot forum is 2 stops compared to the m10r. Can anyone confirm?

Two stops vs one stop, they say, so a stop advantage, as I recall.  Or was it three vs one? But I think this should be moved out of the image thread. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Here are pics from the local fishing port. Sky was cloudy, no sun. Approx at 7am. I used M-DNG (smaller files). Converted to Jpeg in Lightroom with minimal adjustment, simple curve for added contrast. But really images came out just as good straight from camera. Shot with the 35 APO Cron. I think there was handshake or misfocus a bit as I couldn’t take my time pointing my camera at them. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

More from the series

• Like 14

M11 files are very malleable :)!

Summarit-M 1:2.5/35mm, ISO 3200, f/8, 1/90sec

• Like 6

9 hours ago, adan said:

I think you are seeing a combination of:

1) more dynamic range, and

2) probably a gentler contrast tone curve than the M10. Which was quite contrasty. (And contrast and saturation are linked, inextricably).

Same thing happened when the M(240) replaced the M9 - straight from the camera*, the M(240) colors were more subdued and "Portra-like" compared to the M9's "color-slide/Kodachrome" look. Shocked some people back in 2012 tha same way.

For that matter, even with the M9 (when I check back to the default settings I set up) - I had its saturation cranked up to +15 or so. ;)

That is exactly why Leica cranked the M10's default tone curve "up to 11" - to steepen the curve and get back some of that "default M9 punch." Both in jpgs, and for users who didn't really know how to handle raw processing with sophistication.

But Leica can't win - some folks hate(d) the softer pastel default rendering of the M(240) and probably the M11 - while others hate the M10's "excessive" default saturation.

There IS a reason raw processing software has all those sliders and curves to make the contrast and saturation what the individual photographer wants. And why there are JPEG settings for contrast and saturation as well.

*the Land of the Morons. ;)

SOOC is "one size fits nobody."

So true. Funny, I hated the M240 files for this but loved the M9 Monochrom for the same. 

god help me.. 🤦‍♂️

Summarit-M 1:2.5/35mm, ISO 1000

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Daedalus2000 said:

Where exactly is the NR applied? The whole image, the shadows? Also what is the aperture and speed used?

BTW, you can post at 2480 pixels and not 1600 if you want us to see better what you describe.

Thanks

It isn't important. Early days yet, and there's an entire process behind post that still requires official support, etc. I'm curious to see what others find/experience. 

Shot with Leica Store SF demo camera, 50 APO Summicron...

• Like 1

As above...

• Like 3

SEM21, Apo35m, Apo50m + M11 (prototype)

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Oswalt said:

It isn't important. Early days yet, and there's an entire process behind post that still requires official support, etc. I'm curious to see what others find/experience. 

Well if you are suggesting that some NR is applied in the raw file then it is important. I see no evidence of that in your image and actually when I looked at it I was able to read small text in the signs. So it looks ok to me, but as you say lets see what others think. Also, the shadows of your image are a few stops below middle gray, even after you lifted them, and color noise was removed from the jpeg easily. So I try to understand what your complain/feedback is and what the evidence is. Thanks

1 hour ago, analog-digital said:

How do these "images" differ from a "normal" digital M? Or a film M?

I don't understand this hype. Because these images are no better. What else is there to spend so much money on? GAS?

For some folks, when they see downscaled, sharpened-for-web images that they like in these Mx image threads, it is a "wow, this camera can do *that*?" kind of moment, forgetting that almost any modern digital camera can. And this is what sells cameras in the long run.

They are different to film images though. Gotta admit that.

Ugh, this is my personal post #1000. If I had a dollar for every posting here, I could buy a beat-up used M5 now. 😁

• Like 7

On 1/14/2022 at 10:02 AM, LeicaS2 said:

The best photos I've seen are by David Farkas. Scroll past the excellent review to see his photos.

https://www.reddotforum.com

from Davids finding, "In my testing, all resolutions performed essentially the same"

i also find this naming misleading, tripple resolution, its just S/M and full DNG files, i highly doubt that there is some pixel binning at work at the lower resolutions

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb analog-digital:

How do these "images" differ from a "normal" digital M? Or a film M?

I don't understand this hype. Because these images are no better. What else is there to spend so much money on? GAS?

film looks like film, digital like digital, but what is a "normal" digital M? Is the M11 an anormal digital M? Did you expect the images to look any different?

Some benefits are less vignetting than M10r, more room for cropping, better exposure metering and some other things. A good image will still be still a good image, no matter from which M or other camera

vor 1 Minute schrieb analog-digital:

Why is everyone pining for the new Leica M11?

you can get from a to b with a 15 year old trabbi. Still some people prefer newer cars to get from a to b.

Which evolutionary improvements are enough for someone to upgrade is a very personal question.

• Like 1