Leica M12 -- your next camera?

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/6/2022 at 4:01 AM, lct said:

But Dr. Paul Wolff allegedly pulled stills from his movie camera and passed them off as Leica photographs.

I have a few things I'd actually like in the M12. Same as M11 with....

Instant startup.

Faster read out sensor to enable silent shooting. 

16bit capture for improved DR and file pliability.

Better EVF add on (5 million dots minimum and 1.0x) with integrated GPS and focus confirmation ala Nikon Zf.

Black Paint on brass option.

EFCS (how is this not already a thing?????)

A new version of the MATE.

Gordon

• Like 1

All this electronic „Schnickschnack“ (german for gimmicks) will come automatically - sooner or later. Therefore my only wish would be a truly modernized rangefinder with selectable magnifications for better focusing and a wide field view for 21mm or wider, improved display controls and electronic framelines that match the attached lens). If that comes at a cost (eg. different body design) - so what?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Almost two years since the opening post. The M11 has now met all my expectations, more or less, i got used to its stapler sound but i still miss what i could do with all my Ms since the M3: slower shutter speeds than 1/(f)s when shooting handheld. IBIS is then all i need in the M12. Video would be welcome as a bonus but i don't want a fat or a hot M12 in any way and i have a Sony and a digital CL let alone my good old M240 for that. I still keep my dreams for an EVF-M which could be, at last, the perfect M camera... Oops sorry for the typo folks, i meant the perfect M-mount camera... But we all know it means the same don't we 😄

Edited by lct
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, lct said:

… i still miss what i could do with all my Ms since the M3: slower shutter speeds than 1/(f)s when shooting handheld. IBIS is then all i need in the M12.

+1
Would be the perfect M12 (and please remove as much techno “nanny’s” like dust protection… or burry them deep in the menus and turn them off by default)

Oh, and one more thing… remove the SD card 😲. I didn’t use it in my M11 for nearly 2 years. And let's face it, since the M8, it's been the top complaint, causing confusion, alleged source of freezes, corrupt files, and controversy on the forum. We bid farewell to CD-ROMs and diskettes long ago in our computers; it's time to part with this outdated technology in our digital cameras as well. 

8 hours ago, lct said:

… i meant the perfect M-mount camera... But we all know it means the same don't we 😄

+1
It would serve as an ideal substitute for my SL2, especially since I exclusively use that camera with manual focus lenses. However, I value the electronic viewfinder for macro, long, wide, or non-RF coupled vintage lenses more than the Visoflex on the M.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stef63 said:

+1
Would be the perfect M12 (and please remove as much techno “nanny’s” like dust protection… or burry them deep in the menus and turn them off by default)

A real ‘dust protection’ is one of the most needed improvements. I’m not aware of any other camera that has attracted as much sensor dust as my Leica M10/11.

I agree that the current firmware tweak doesn’t add value - I always turn off the camera when changing lenses. The M11 is still a dust magnet. E.g. Nikon Z8/9 with specialized ‘dust shield’ (mechanical barrier) are more promising.

Edited by mzbe