M11 freeze issues [Merged]

mrmalo

I was a beta tester for the M11. At the end some of us (not me) still had very rare freezes. The M11 has a totally new firmware structure underneath what looks similar to the M10 to us. So I think we cannot expect to have no bugs. What we can do here is reporting them so exact as possible to give Leica a hint for solution. 

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sounds like @Meisyong has had more freezes than me. I've only had one so far when I first used the camera.

I've reached out to a few people on the Facebook Leica M11 page to see if they can post their experiences here...doesn't look like this has happened so far though.

Appreciate my initial post was fluffy in detail, so I'll try and recap;

1. I setup my camera (set date and language etc)
  2. Set "Storage Options" to "DNG+JPG first on IN (IN first)
  3. Went to Storage Management and formatted the internal storage. Rest of the settings were left on factory defaults
  4. Switched LV on and took a couple of shots in full auto
  5. Took another 1 or 2 shots and the camera froze;
    1. LV had frozen
    2. No response from the MENU button on the back (or any buttons for that matter)
    3. The camera stayed on when I switched it off
    4. I was just about to take the battery out, when the camera came back to life around 30 seconds later and took a shot

I have to say, it did feel like a long exposure, if it wasn't for the fact that LV had frozen. I took another picture in the same area, with the same settings, moments later to check this theory and the picture came out fine (auto shutter speed was around 1/125 from memory, although I deleted my initial test pictures).

Other points of interest:

• Lens cap was off
  • I was taking pictures in doors
  • Wasn't using an SD card (was using internal storage)
  • My lens is encoded
  • Pretty much factory settings apart from points 2 & 3 above

This has only happened to me once, so I'm going to forget about it for the time being. If the problem "sticks" around, I'm sure it will get fixed via a firmware update like @elmars said.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help to date.

Edited by mrmalo

Am 19.1.2022 um 10:05 schrieb mrmalo:

Sounds like @Meisyong has had more freezes than me. I've only had one so far when I first used the camera.

I've reached out to a few people on the Facebook Leica M11 page to see if they can post their experiences here...doesn't look like this has happened so far though.

Appreciate my initial post was fluffy in detail, so I'll try and recap;

1. I setup my camera (set date and language etc)
  2. Set "Storage Options" to "DNG+JPG first on IN (IN first)
  3. Went to Storage Management and formatted the internal storage. Rest of the settings were left on factory defaults
  4. Switched LV on and took a couple of shots in full auto
  5. Took another 1 or 2 shots and the camera froze;
    1. LV had frozen
    2. No response from the MENU button on the back (or any buttons for that matter)
    3. The camera stayed on when I switched it off
    4. I was just about to take the battery out, when the camera came back to life around 30 seconds later and took a shot

I have to say, it did feel like a long exposure, if it wasn't for the fact that LV had frozen. I took another picture in the same area, with the same settings, moments later to check this theory and the picture came out fine (auto shutter speed was around 1/125 from memory, although I deleted my initial test pictures).

Other points of interest:

• Lens cap was off
  • I was taking pictures in doors
  • Wasn't using an SD card (was using internal storage)
  • My lens is encoded
  • Pretty much factory settings apart from points 2 & 3 above

This has only happened to me once, so I'm going to forget about it for the time being. If the problem "sticks" around, I'm sure it will get fixed via a firmware update like @elmars said.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help to date.

I would recommend to format the sd card.

33 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

I would recommend to format the sd card.

Which part of:

Wasn't using an SD card (was using internal storage)

I wasn't using an SD card - I was taking pictures on the internal storage inside the camera.

I actually formatted the internal storage after changing the settings to use internal vs SD before the camera froze up

… did you find unclear?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

nothing. I only have experienced a M11 crash with the same symptoms and it went away after taking out the sd card.

did he also say that there wasnt even an sd card in the camera?

what again were your suggestions what could have been the reason?

He said the SD card was removed and only using the internal memory. The camera was still freezing at start up.

• Like 2

Either way, it’s unacceptable for a camera to lock up for any reason - unformatted card, badly formatted card, full card, empty card, internal or external storage - it should not lock up, as in become inoperable and unresponsive, unless in the middle of an exposure.

Leica needs to fix this.

Any kind of normalization in the form of “but some cards…” or “reformat the card” are a disservice to Leica users.

Edited by orcinus
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, orcinus said:

Either way, it’s unacceptable for a camera to lock up for any reason - unformatted card, badly formatted card, full card, empty card, internal or external storage - it should not lock up, as in become inoperable and unresponsive, unless in the middle of an exposure.

Leica needs to fix this.

Any kind of normalization in the form of “but some cards…” or “reformat the card” are a disservice to Leica users.

If we find the situation when it happens, we could help Leica fix it quicker and maybe allow owners to work with the camera while waiting for a fix. This is for the benefit of all camera owners.
Finding a temporary solution does not mean that the bug should not be fixed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SrMi said:

If we find the situation when it happens, we could help Leica fix it quicker and maybe allow owners to work with the camera while waiting for a fix. This is for the benefit of all camera owners.
Finding a temporary solution does not mean that the bug should not be fixed.

Very true…I’m just not sure I want to spend $9000 to enlist as a Phase Two beta tester.

• Haha 3

• jaapv changed the title to M11 freeze issues
  • Jan Y changed the title to Repaired under warranty (freezing)