The Leica M11 images thread

Al Brown

Zürich

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 minutes ago, ironringer said:

Most of these M11 pictures, especially those from the Leica site, are relatively rich in colours, so they are probably "juiced" a bit with some processing, and not out-of-the-camera. Can we see some plain un-processed images?

You can download the .dng's, open them in Lightroom, go into develop mode and press "reset" at bottom right...

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ironringer said:

Most of these M11 pictures, especially those from the Leica site, are relatively rich in colours, so they are probably "juiced" a bit with some processing, and not out-of-the-camera. Can we see some plain un-processed images?

More likely it is caused by the choice of the transmission curves of the Bayer filter. Unprocessed images do not exist, BTW. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jaapv said:

More likely it is caused by the choice of the transmission curves of the Bayer filter. Unprocessed images do not exist, BTW. 

The M11 .dng's on the Leica site are however not as how they came out of the camera. They contain additional user processing. E.g. the harbour with cranes and ships shot (pm-64361...)has saturation and vibrance both at +25, and has clarity at +28. IMHO overcooked by the user. By resetting them you can see how they look as "fresh" out of the camera.

5 minutes ago, Edax said:

The M11 .dng's on the Leica site are however not as how they came out of the camera. They contain additional user processing. E.g. the harbour with cranes and ships shot (pm-64361...)has saturation and vibrance both at +25, and has clarity at +28. IMHO overcooked by the user. By resetting them you can see how they look as "fresh" out of the camera.

That is what I noticed too .....I took all the settings back to zero; sharpening too was typically massively high (especially for an already high acuity APO lens like the 35mm) compared to what I'd choose for my own processing.

4 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

That is what I noticed too .....I took all the settings back to zero; sharpening too was typically massively high (especially for an already high acuity APO lens like the 35mm) compared to what I'd choose for my own processing.

Exactly. IMHO the APO35 (as used)  also clearly shows some issues. Not always convincing to me.

Edited by Edax

8 hours ago, elmars said:

I Iove the skin tone of my wife (perfectly taken with the M11)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi elmars,

your wife seems to be so beautiful, gorgeous and pretty with a nice soul! is it the M11 effect only? 🙃

If not too much trouble, would someone put up full size sample M11 60MP, 36MP, 18 DNG test shots on something like Google Drive or alternative for download and comparison?  Thanks in advance. 

P.S.The same test subject taken at 60/36/18 DNG for comparison. 

Edited by LBJ2

vor 6 Stunden schrieb teiki arii:

Hi elmars,

your wife seems to be so beautiful, gorgeous and pretty with a nice soul! is it the M11 effect only? 🙃

Thank You! And yes: Take a photo of any wife with the M11 she will be the same. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

11 hours ago, Edax said:

All images are processed, either by the user or by the camera/postprocessing software. If you open a DNG straight out of the camera you are seeing the default processing preset by the software maker. If you open a JPG you see the interpretation of Leica's engineers.There is always. a human involved in determining the processing of the sensor output. You are discussing a matter of taste. In this case Leica's taste which does indeed appear to be a bit slanted to the poppy side, probably for marketing reasons.

I have never yet had a camera where I did not change the defaults to render the colours - and sharpening- to my taste straight out of the camera.

Let me guess - you are using an Apple display?

• Like 2