M11 freeze issues [Merged]

mrmalo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, mrmalo said:

This might be my first post here, so hello everybody!

I took 3-4 frames with my new M11 and then the camera froze. Froze as in un-responsive - even when I switched the camera off. I was about to take out the battery when the camera came back to life 30 seconds later and rolled off a frame all by itself.

I had literally unboxed the camera, charged the batteries and took these 3-4 frames. No settings were changed other than using the 64GB internal storage versus SD card.

ISO and shutter speed dials were still in auto (how the camera arrived).

Has anybody else experienced something like this?

I have a hunch it's something todo with the electronic shutter but have no data/evidence to backup that up.

Nothing new for a M camera. Happened to me with all M cameras - M9, M240, M10-R.

Much less with M240 and even less M10-R though.

With M10-R, the most recent was a day ago - switched to LV on the LCD and then it became unresponsive - had to take the battery out to "fix". Thankfully happens only once every maybe 1,000 times so am not too worried about it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

Maybe I’m confused.  Why would the camera go into a prolonged exposure and dark frame at start up without activating the shutter just because of ISO setting?

Maybe I have confused various reports ☹️. Turning the camera on alone should not produce a hang. The fix may involve using different SD card, though. 

Edited by SrMi

Just now, SrMi said:

Maybe I am the confused one. There are various reports of various hanging situations in this thread. Could you please explain what exactly is happening with your M11? Thank you!

I encounter the freeze in 2 scenarios.

1) while starting up 

2) while using live view (to shoot or review pictures)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SrMi said:

Did you format the internal and the SD card in camera?

How do you eliminate the freeze of startup?

Yes. I format and also tried removing the SD card and use internal only. Problem still occurs. It doesn’t happen every time but frequent enough to be of concern. Both scenarios I have to remove the battery.

As I understand @Meisyong has described two scearios that resuled in a freeze:

1.  Simply moving the power switch from the off to on position with the lens cap on.

2.  Pressing the shutter release button while the camera is on and in live-view mode but with the lens cap off.

If I've understood these scenarios correctly then there was obviously no user error.  Since the incidents have each happened more than once he either has a defective sample or there is something seriously wrong with the firmware at launch.  Probably it's the former since everyone else isn't reporting the same experience.

I'd say he/she has made a very good decision to both report the issue to Leica and to return the camera to his retailer while he is still in the wind of their return policy.

Edited by fotofool
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fotofool said:

As I understand @Meisyong has described two scearios that resuled in a freeze:

1.  Simply moving the power switch from the off to on position with the lens cap on.

2.  Pressing the shutter release button while the camera is on and in live-view mode but with the lens cap off.

If I've understood these scenarios correctly then there was obviously no user error.  Since the incidents have each happened more than once he either has a defective sample or there is something seriously wrong with firmware at launch.  Probably it's the former since everyone else isn't having the same experience.

I'd say he/she has made a very good decision to both report the issue to Leica and to return the camera to his retailer while he is still in the wind of their return policy.

That is correct, I have confused reports.

Would like confirmation that the lens cap has an influence on freeze at startup or not.