The Leica M11 images thread

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, jaapv said:

All images are processed, either by the user or by the camera/postprocessing software. If you open a DNG straight out of the camera you are seeing the default processing preset by the software maker. If you open a JPG you see the interpretation of Leica's engineers.There is always. a human involved in determining the processing of the sensor output. You are discussing a matter of taste. In this case Leica's taste which does indeed appear to be a bit slanted to the poppy side, probably for marketing reasons.

I have never yet had a camera where I did not change the defaults to render the colours - and sharpening- to my taste straight out of the camera.

Let me guess - you are using an Apple display?

All I am discussing is the effect of +25 in both saturation and vibrance, +28 in clarity (and sharpness 79, 1.3, 😎 in addition to how the picture renders with default processing of ACR/Lightroom. If that doesn't pimp up colours on Windows so be it... 😷

There is an additional profile called "PROFILE LUDWIG" in some of the samples, who is that?? 🙃

Zürich

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Amsterdam

• Like 5

Amsterdam

• Like 12

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wetzlar

• Like 2

Nearby

• Like 7

11 hours ago, leo10691 said:

I received my M11 at lunch time yesterday, but only was able to shoot later in the evening.

Leica M11 + 50mm Summilux Black Chrome

Great colors! 

1 hour ago, John Smith said:

Is it me or are these images lacking some bite? The M11 images look soft.

Motion blur in that one. Some of these are also not sized down and sharpened. One can't simply size down straight from 60mp to web res without sharpening or without sizing down in two steps. Sizing down in Photoshop needs be using the right option. Also note you have to click on images here – the previews inline in the posts are alway soft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Smith said:

Is it me or are these images lacking some bite? The M11 images look soft.

I think you are seeing a combination of:

1) more dynamic range, and

2) probably a gentler contrast tone curve than the M10. Which was quite contrasty. (And contrast and saturation are linked, inextricably).

Same thing happened when the M(240) replaced the M9 - straight from the camera*, the M(240) colors were more subdued and "Portra-like" compared to the M9's "color-slide/Kodachrome" look. Shocked some people back in 2012 tha same way.

For that matter, even with the M9 (when I check back to the default settings I set up) - I had its saturation cranked up to +15 or so. ;)

That is exactly why Leica cranked the M10's default tone curve "up to 11" - to steepen the curve and get back some of that "default M9 punch." Both in jpgs, and for users who didn't really know how to handle raw processing with sophistication.

But Leica can't win - some folks hate(d) the softer pastel default rendering of the M(240) and probably the M11 - while others hate the M10's "excessive" default saturation.

There IS a reason raw processing software has all those sliders and curves to make the contrast and saturation what the individual photographer wants. And why there are JPEG settings for contrast and saturation as well.

*the Land of the Morons. ;)

SOOC is "one size fits nobody."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

One can't simply size down straight from 60mp to web res without sharpening or without sizing down in two steps.

Exactly. My default sharpening for reduced "web" images is simply the PS "sharpen" filter - faded 50% ± to avoid the strongest halos.

I avoid "Bicubic Sharper" in downsizing only because there is no way to "tune it" to match specific images (some need more "fading" of the sharpening, other need less).

Edited by adan

Just now, adan said:

Exactly. My default sharpening for reduced "web" images is simply the PS "sharpen" filter - faded 50% ± to avoid the strongest halos.

I avoid "Bicubic Shaper" in downsizing only because there is no way to "tune it" to match specific images (some need more "fading" of the sharpening, other need less).

Bicubic Sharper – I don't think that technically adds sharpening as we think of sharpening, rather it's a different way to interpolate the image data when sizing down. I've never seen an image resized that way display any sharpening artifacts – at least when sizing down 50-100mp files (R5/GFX 100S) in a single step.

Most often I simply export from C1/LR to the final pixel size but select "Sharpen for screen", which always turns out perfect for me.

Some also don't realize this forum can now handle 2480 px on the longest side. Traditionally sizing for IG/FB has been 2048 px as optimal. Some images in this thread are sized smaller than that and will look soft enlarged to fill the screen on a high res monitor.

32 minutes ago, adan said:

Never understood spending a fortune on a camera (and lenses) that can produce infinitely malleable files, and settle for someone else’s interpretation (plus a seemingly broader lack of attention to, or perhaps lack of understanding of, other potential PP actions, screen/screen setting factors, let alone neglecting all the variables and potential relating to printing and display/lighting.

Sorry… back to images.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

2 hours ago, adan said:

I think you are seeing a combination of:

1) more dynamic range, and

2) probably a gentler contrast tone curve than the M10. Which was quite contrasty. (And contrast and saturation are linked, inextricably).

Same thing happened when the M(240) replaced the M9 - straight from the camera*, the M(240) colors were more subdued and "Portra-like" compared to the M9's "color-slide/Kodachrome" look. Shocked some people back in 2012 tha same way.

For that matter, even with the M9 (when I check back to the default settings I set up) - I had its saturation cranked up to +15 or so. ;)

That is exactly why Leica cranked the M10's default tone curve "up to 11" - to steepen the curve and get back some of that "default M9 punch." Both in jpgs, and for users who didn't really know how to handle raw processing with sophistication.

But Leica can't win - some folks hate(d) the softer pastel default rendering of the M(240) and probably the M11 - while others hate the M10's "excessive" default saturation.

There IS a reason raw processing software has all those sliders and curves to make the contrast and saturation what the individual photographer wants. And why there are JPEG settings for contrast and saturation as well.

I understand that. I took at look at Ralph Gibson's photos on Leica's M11 page and am a bit more relieved. 

• Like 1

Pushed two stops approx at base ISO. Edited in the latest version of Lightroom using the M11 profile. It's showing more colour noise than I would like. But that isn't the bigger issue here that I see, it's the rendering and lack of fine detail that seems to already indicate NR has been applied/baked into the DNG. The files as a result end up looking mushy, and more so, after NR during post  

Edited by Oswalt
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Oswalt said:

Pushed two stops approx at base ISO. Edited in the latest version of Lightroom using the M11 profile. It's showing more colour noise than I would like. But that isn't the bigger issue here that I see, it's the rendering and lack of fine detail that seems to already indicate NR has been applied/baked into the DNG. The files as a result end up looking mushy, and more so, after NR during post  

Where exactly is the NR applied? The whole image, the shadows? Also what is the aperture and speed used?

BTW, you can post at 2480 pixels and not 1600 if you want us to see better what you describe.

Thanks

Edited by Daedalus2000