Would you buy an EVF only camera with an M mount?

FlashGordonPhotography

Personally I would consider buying such a camera if the EVF comes very close to the impression of an OVF with selectable framelines or the corresponding view in the EVF and - most importantly - if I would get some kind of an optical confirmation when my subject is in focus.

The reasons why I am using Leica cameras is not so much the rangefinder (although I like it) but the fact that I get a small full frame camera with small but very good lenses.

So, if an EVF would enhance the usability of the M I would probably buy it (well, if the price appears somewhat reasonable to me😉).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

YES, definitely would buy one.  My aging eyes are starting to have trouble with the coincidence RF.  I'd also buy an M with an optical viewfinder that somehow was able to do focus confirmation.  The advantage of the OVF (and the reason it allows for a different way of shooting (anticipation, etc.) is you can see beyond the frame lines.  For me this works for 50mm and 35mm lenses, but for anything wider I find it impossible to see past the frames and for anything longer I find the frame too small to use effectively.  I may be an outlier, and there are many who like the rangefinder but Leica could simply provide a choice:

(1) the existing mechanical RF with the possibility of using the rear EVF or a clip-on Visoflex.  (2) An EVF M mount camera with the possibility of using an accessory clip-on optical viewfinder for the times you want to look beyond the frame.

yes, yes, yes...
the m-series for fans of the nice opto-mechanical solution with all their restrictions.

an EVF-series that makes it possible to shoot safely beyond the range of 28mm and 90mm, with 1.4 and more open aperture and with an (I)BI-sensor that gets the best out of it would be a great addition. a compact, lightweight full-frame camera for the full range of leica m-lenses. 🤩

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, John Ricard said:

I think an M10 or M11 for 35mm and wider shots would be perfect alongside an EVF M camera for 75mm and higher.  I'd considering buying it.  

yes, I agree, an EVF would be wonderful for longer focal lengths, eg, to have the option to natively mount on an M and accurately use such incredible lenses like the 75/90 Noctilux/Summilux that have  wafer thin depth of field.  It seems odd that this type of M mount lens essentially needs to be used on the L mount with an adapter due to the limitation of the rangefinder.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

yes, I agree, an EVF would be wonderful for longer focal lengths, eg, to have the option to natively mount on an M and accurately use such incredible lenses like the 75/90 Noctilux/Summilux that have  wafer thin depth of field.  It seems odd that this type of M mount lens essentially needs to be used on the L mount with an adapter due to the limitation of the rangefinder.

What is wrong with using Visoflex on M when needed? Visoflex is even a tilting EVF, which can be very useful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yes I would thus one of the reasons why I bought an SL2. However I would like it separate from the M system to have it in L mount with a line of smaller full frame AF lenses even if Leica needs to partner with L alliance members to make it happen. 

Edited by rtai
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SrMi said:

What is wrong with using Visoflex on M when needed? Visoflex is even a tilting EVF, which can be very useful.

Mainly on the assumption that a dedicated EVF camera like the SL2 remains superior to what ones gets with a Visoflex - however, I would caveat I haven't tried the new Visoflex 2, so perhaps its resolution is (in practice) a noticeable improvement over the 020 and more than adequate for such uses?

11 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Nothing wrong only external EVF is extra to buy and to use use EVF.  With built in EVF you get best of both worlds, compact camera with M mount and EVF.

• Like 1