Would you buy second hand?

Olaf_ZG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Jean-Michel said:

Since you are in Europe, you are likely best to purchase from a Leica dealer close to you. I am in Canada, and my preferred Leica dealer has had a used 24-90 available for some weeks already ( and other L lenses ); they want CDN$ 4885, or about 3395 Euros. I imagine that your local dealers also provide a real warranty of a year or more, as does mine.

Secondhand, from a dealer and with warranty, i would expect to pay somewhere between 2750-3250€, depending on its condition, which is still about 2000€ less than new.

• Like 1

It seems you are convinced, but I would add my voice to the chorus saying to consider buying used. Not only is it probably better for the environment (though I doubt many of these SL lenses are finding their way to landfill), you do save a tremendous amount. There really is not that much wear and tear to occur on an SL lens. Everything is well sealed and there are few external moving parts. If it works at the time you buy it, it is likely to keep working for years. The only SL lens issue I recall hearing about or experiencing was tight focusing rings in the APO Summicron lenses, but I have not heard it in relation to the 24-90mm. I think there are a particularly large number of 24-90mm lenses on the market as it was the first and only lens available for the SL for a long time, other than maybe the giant 50mm 1.4. So a lot of buyers who wanted the SL but would prefer primes probably bought the 24-90 to simply be able to use the camera, or to fill in gaps while they waited for the primes they needed to be released. Now that there is a wider lens range available, people who were more focused on primes likely sold their 24-90mm. That is why they are a bit cheaper and abundant in the used market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have bought everything new with the exception of my SL 24-90mm that I wanted to replace the SL24-70mm that came with my SL2. I was in London and stopped by one of my favorite Leica shops, Red Dot Camera and they had mint SL24-90mm with box and papers and offered it to me at a fair price. I travel a lot for business and usually buy my Leica gear in London (no Leica dealer in Arizona) or in Munich  Germany from the Leica Boutique near Marienplatz...They are the ones who sucked me into the Leica World a couple years ago😊

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my Q2M second hand.  No problem at all.  But you have to do your due diligence.  I talked to the seller on the phone and got an idea of the type of guy he was when it came to taking care of his gear.  It was obvious that he cared a lot about it.  Also, had the all the boxes and receipt.  Q2M was flawless and works perfectly.  I would have bought my Q3 second hand too but it's too new. 

Posted (edited)
On 9/27/2023 at 3:22 PM, Olaf_ZG said:

To be clear, till now, I mostly bought second hand, except my m10m and the sl35apo. The latter is going out and I am considering the 24/90. New around 5k, used around 2.5/3k which is still a lot of money. For a m-lens I would not mind, but for a SL lens i am not sure.

As I am trading in my apo, I can afford a new one. However, when buying a used one, I could buy some other nice stuff.

Would you buy new or used, and why? (Regarding a SL lens). Thanks.

I bought the 24-90 lens from a dealer I have known for years and IMHO it is almost APO quality. I see it on the Leica USA site too from time to time. Mine is now my favorite lens and is almost glued to one of my cameras.

Edited by algrove

First, I believe used lenses are great and there are some great links here, but informed buying is really the key.

Not every used lens rated “A-“ condition is the same.

In my opinion, if you cannot see images of the actual lens you are buying, there is a reason.  The most common issue, again IMO, is the amount of dust and condition of the back of the lens or lens elements.  Some sellers allow a lot of internal dust in their ‘A’ category or cleaning marks by simply stating “no fungus, clean and clear” or “minor dust, does not affect image.”  

Depending on the dust, you can get large spots when stopping way down, just hard to tell.

A CLA from Leica can likely deal with many issues, but it means waiting and paying more.  So, the least expensive ‘A’ condition lens is not always the best deal, so just be informed and reach out and ask questions.  There are great on-line stores, leica and otherwise, that want to sell you what you want, so asking questions can avoid back and forth returns.  Sometimes the dealers have one coming in that hasn’t hit the inventory yet that is better suited to you, and they will tell you.

3/4 or more of my gear is pre-owned, but very carefully purchased.

• Like 1