Would you buy an EVF only camera with an M mount?

FlashGordonPhotography

7 minutes ago, cboy said:

Unless it's a global shutter with lag free and blackout free experience then it'll be disappointing compared to the ovf/rangefinder experience of an M. But maybe that's what Leica wanted all along? M now stands for mirrorless? Lol

Global shutters are likely 5 to 10 years out.

I'd be curious about it, but honestly the SL2 is close enough for me in that sense - and I can put AF lenses on it. So it would depend on what you give up because I just don't find the weight between the M and the SL2 really to be a big deal in a practical sense - not a compelling enough reason. It also makes even less sense to me if you dress up your M in grips etc. Now, I'm not saying it is a substitute dare anyone accuse me of breaking puritanical devotion, but like for real practical purposes, it really kinda is. 

If they could keep the same size/form of the M and replace the RF with an EVF I'd try it out for sure, but it really feels like splitting hairs. I have my Sl2 and M10 (both with summis mounted) next to each other and just held them both to make sure. Yep, that difference is in in quibble territory.  

Edited by pgh
  • Like 2

I wouldn't buy such a camera. I like the feeling of a live picture, I feel that I am photographing real life and that I am present in it. EVFs have come a long way, have become significantly better, but they are still far from the human eye in terms of dynamic range. For example, I sold Q2 because of the terrible dynamic range in EVF, although the resolution there is fine. SL2 is only slightly better in this sense. The eye feels like it's watching a movie and just takes a freeze frame. It's a completely different feeling than when you look through the glass and stop time.

3 minutes ago, orcinus said:

They did, but Komodo has its own unique share of downsides, like reduced dynamic range (reportedly - i have no personal experience with it).

Its $5,000 and has at least 12.5-13.5 depending on who you ask, although the manufacture claims 16.

I have one, and for the price its pretty amazing little camera.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smogg said:

A good frame can be made with any modern camera, but not every camera inspires you to take photos

For me, a good camera vanishes from your hands, leaving only you, the subject, and the frame you envisioned.

But i’d be lying if i claimed that new gear doesn’t inspire me to go and take photos ;)

2 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

Its $5,000 and has at least 12.5-13.5 depending on who you ask, although the manufacture claims 16.

I have one, and for the price its pretty amazing little camera.

Nice! I stand corrected then.

I heard some paranoia about it, glad to hear it’s misplaced, as it seemed great on paper.

3 hours ago, Artin said:

ok where is the big speech / harlequin novel the M is emotional bla bla bla. M stands for the MessBla bla bla.  

LOL I am waiting for it  

I had the same though. Like how long will it take for someone to tell us the German word that the M stands for ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, orcinus said:

For me, a good camera vanishes from your hands, leaving only you, the subject, and the frame you envisioned.

But i’d be lying if i claimed that new gear doesn’t inspire me to go and take photos ;)

The Leica M is such a camera, it's simple, it does exactly what the photographer wants. And if occasionally you need precise framing, then an external EVF is quite enough

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artin said:

ok where is the big speech / harlequin novel the M is emotional bla bla bla. M stands for the MessBla bla bla.  

LOL I am waiting for it  

I wouldn't want it be an M. I freely admit I'm emotionally attached to the M being a rangefinder camera. This camera would have a new letter. It would take M lenses but it wouldn't be an M.

Gordon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I responded to the survey on the other thread, and posted a comment.
It would be helpful if the moderators could bring the survey across to the international side and merge the two threads.

FWIW, I replied:

• I would probably not buy one, but I have massive respect for Leica engineers' and designers' ability to create an attractive package, so I'm not saying 'no'.
  • I would be much more interested in a M-shaped/sized body with an L-mount*. It would be much more versatile, and would balance well with M, Summicron-SL and Sigma lenses.

* For all those under a common misapprehension, repeat after me: "A SL is NOT a substitute for a M-sized body with EVF and AF"**.
** And for those under the other common misapprehension, repeat after me: "a SL is NOT the answer to those disappointed with the apparent end of the APSC line".

I did ask for it to be moved. Ultimately my silly mistake.

Gordon

• Like 1