M11 Monochrom is coming ?

Kamyar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, snooper said:

Leica store

Yes, M10M out of stock at Leica UK Online Store; Leica Store Manchester on back order; Red Dot Cameras showing last product.  

All seems to be pointing to imminent release of M11M, but the M10M is such a great camera, I do wonder whether there will be such strong demand for the 11.

I'll say this. If anyone follows Alan Schaller, it is very noticeable that his latest pictures show insane resolution, meaning maybe he has been using a beta M11M for a while. I could actually claim (and could actually be absolutely wrong) that the new sensor is superior to the former one in every way and will show medium format IQ in the same compact form as the M11. Some will argue that the M10M already does that.

21 hours ago, sometimesmaybe said:

with the help of this forum, we will find a reason to 'upgrade' 😅

Edited by fededuran

10 minutes ago, fededuran said:

I'll say this. If anyone follows Alan Schaller, it is very noticeable that his latest pictures show insane resolution, meaning maybe he has been using a beta M11M for a while. I could actually claim (and could actually be absolutely wrong) that the new sensor is superior to the former one in every way and will show medium format IQ in the same compact form as the M11. Some will argue that the M10M already does that.

With the horrible compression of instagram it seems like it would be difficult to discern that unless you are seeing his latest pictures on another website that has higher resolution.  

13 minutes ago, mediumformula said:

With the horrible compression of instagram it seems like it would be difficult to discern that unless you are seeing his latest pictures on another website that has higher resolution.  

He also publishes on Flickr.

Edited by fededuran
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Might as well use a phone camera for screen viewing.  My (smallish) prints can look wonderful using my M10M (or even M9M), if I do my job well. There’s far more to it than higher resolution, camera-wise and user-wise.

Jeff

I just see some special quality in his latest pics (even admitting that he has always been a fantastic photographer regardless of the gear he uses). 

• Like 1

My 2009 till now personal buying history shows I must suffer from some illness know as GAS.  All the color M’s, the 3 Monochrom’s, a lot, I mean a lot of M, LTM and R lenses. Even an SL2… TL, CL ….

I have the M11 and can compare it with my M10M and, honestly I wonder now what features an M11M would make it appealing to buy?  

• My GAS addiction tells me the lighter weight of a (black) M11M body. 
  • The lack of bottom plate (features I appreciate on the M11) and better (to me) battery access system
  • Internal memory.  Yes definitely a plus for the 11th M gen
  • 60+ MP? Yes and no.  I hate using 2x focal length exposure speeds to avoid camera shake.  I know the M11M will probably shine in high ISO performance but avoiding to go below 1/125s with a 50mm to avoid camera shake feels very unnatural to me.  1/30s and even lower was perfectly doable with the M9 or with film camera’s.  Not on the M11
  • Visoflex 2 : yes it works on an M10M but it is better on an M11

But then again… what else can the M11M offer that would make me to pack my M10M in it’s original box and sell it?  Of all my M digital camera’s the M10M was and is the very best.  My GAS disease has not the answer yet.  So Leica, please come with something really unexpected …

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My guess is M11:

• will render the background slightly more detailed than M10M with the same lens wide open,
  • will provide marginally better control of highlights and, therefore, highlight detail recovery and may need to be underexposed less than M10M, although this remains to be seen in practice because BSI sensors are very light sensitive,
  • will add 1 stop or better of high ISO performance, again because BSI sensor, despite more MP,
  • will allow those who buy it argue subjectively that because of all of the above, the M11M files show a wider range of lights and darks when no filter is used in front of a lens and, therefore, the files tend look less flat than the M10M files,
  • will need to be shot at 1/125 vs. 1/90 for the M10M for a 50 lens. 

Some owners of the M10M will laugh at most of the above while the HSPs will upgrade because of most of above. 

I ordered a m10m yesterday, a bit earlier then I wanted but as production seems to be ceased I decided to order.

To me, capabilities of the m10m is more then I ever need so I hope upgrading won’t be the case and I hope I can get quite some years out of it.

• Like 5

I wonder if the M11M will just be an M11 with the bayer layer stripped off ...... or actually a specifically designed monochrom sensor as in the M10 ......

I suspect the actual image quality will actually be only marginally better ..... the real benefits will be the M11 body/no bottom plate and the faster processing and internal memory. 

I've just got an 'as new' secondhand M10M at a very reasonable price to use with my residual M lenses (I'd moved from RF to SL/SL2 and now to Fuji MF).

It's such a niche camera which for me will not be my main kit so dropping what will probably be 8 grand (UK) on a new M11 is just not on ......