M11 Monochrom is coming ?

Kamyar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

I'm waiting for the M10Mono to hit the second-hand market. I rarely seen any on eBay. Being the great camera that it is I think people will hold on it probably until some official release.

Leica Miami has one with 1 year Leica warranty remaining.

Jeff

• Like 1

Or buy from the UK and take advantage of the weak Pound.  New M10M still available here from main Leica dealer for GBP 7,199 including 20% VAT.  Deduct the tax and you’re looking at about USD 7,000 at the current exchange rate.

Even with added shipping costs that’s a pretty good price for a brand new M10M.

On 12/31/2022 at 2:54 AM, Olaf_ZG said:

I ordered a m10m yesterday, a bit earlier then I wanted but as production seems to be ceased I decided to order.

To me, capabilities of the m10m is more then I ever need so I hope upgrading won’t be the case and I hope I can get quite some years out of it.

I am keeping my M10 Monochrom, especially in light of the ongoing problems that some M11 owners are suffering through.  The 60mp BSI sensor is a big temptation, but I'm not willing to roll the dice until the M11 platform has the kinks worked out of it and has an established record of reliability.

• Like 7

On 1/8/2023 at 3:18 PM, jonnyboy said:

I'm waiting for the M10Mono to hit the second-hand market. I rarely seen any on eBay. Being the great camera that it is I think people will hold on it probably until some official release.

MPB had a couple ..... mine was 5k but it really is mint and looks as if it has never been used. For some inexplicable reason it was discounted and less than the other available which they had rated as 'excellent', so I grabbed it whilst I could....... :)

I've given up on eBay for selling/buying camera stuff ..... MPB make it a lot easier and safer with not much difference in the sort of selling prices you would get on eBay once you factor in the fees etc. The selling condition ratings seem fairly conservative and you have the backstop of 14 day return and a  6 month warranty. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/31/2022 at 7:37 AM, Chaemono said:

My guess is M11:

• will need to be shot at 1/125 vs. 1/90 for the M10M for a 50 lens. 

Some owners of the M10M will laugh at most of the above while the HSPs will upgrade because of most of above. 

This gets trotted out with monotonous regularity and I have yet to see any sensible justification for it......

24mpx to 60mpx is only a 50% increase in linear resolution and 24mpx to 40 mpx only just over a 25% increase ..... and I have always found 1/f as a very conservative limit with all the Leica Rangefinders I have used. They are compact rather heavy cameras with a good deal of inertia and as a result with a good shutter technique you can use relatively low shutter speeds.

I've found the M10M no different to my old M9 ..... shutter speeds of 1 over half the focal length are consistently reliable.

Even on my GFX100s with 100mpx 1/f isn't a problem although 2/f is not consistently reliable. That's in many ways unsurprising as it's a 4:3 sensor and the linear resolution is only 10% more than 60mpx at 3:2.

Plus you have to consider that very minor loss of sharpness due to movement is lost when high mpx images are downsized for most print sizes, so for practical purposes it is even less of an issue. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

MPB had a couple ..... mine was 5k but it really is mint and looks as if it has never been used. For some inexplicable reason it was discounted and less than the other available which they had rated as 'excellent', so I grabbed it whilst I could....... :)

I've given up on eBay for selling/buying camera stuff ..... MPB make it a lot easier and safer with not much difference in the sort of selling prices you would get on eBay once you factor in the fees etc. The selling condition ratings seem fairly conservative and you have the backstop of 14 day return and a  6 month warranty. 

Good shout! £5k is definitely a good price for a mint one. I think you could still save some bucks on eBay (if you buying) if you lucky with some auctions or find someone who needs a quick sale. For selling, I agree that is getting a bit out of hands with all the eBay fees...I will definitely consider it in the future.

MBP has only 1 left for £5479...I think you snatched a proper bargain! I'm in no rush to be honest...still enjoying my M246 but I will probably think about it when the M11M drops so that the price could (hopefully) go under 5K....

• Like 1

I will stay with my M10 Mono. No need to upgrade to M11M.
Together with M10-R it is a perfect combo that will serve me for many years.
Maybe Leica is waiting with the release of the M11M until the camera freezing problems are solved.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The M10M will likely be the last Monochrom with a front side illuminated sensor. A BSI sensor renders the OOF areas with fast lenses wide open still creamy but with a bit more detail on the SL cameras. It’ll be interesting to see if there will be a discernible difference in creaminess with the Summiluces on the M10M and the M11M. I prefer the OOF area of the SL2-S (BSI sensor) to the SL2 (FSI sensor) when the OOF area adds to the story. With the Summicrons the M11M may possibly show less subject separation if the background is close to the subject. Worse comes to worse, everyone will have to ‘upgrade’ their Summicrons to Summiluces for the M11M. 😁

On 1/12/2023 at 10:28 PM, thighslapper said:

Yes. With IBIS on you can use silly speeds. 

I'm sorry - this is doubtless a stupid question, but why might you switch IBIS off - is there some downside to it being left on? Drain on battery perhaps? Wearing out the mechanism?

On 1/14/2023 at 11:11 AM, colint544 said:

I'm sorry - this is doubtless a stupid question, but why might you switch IBIS off - is there some downside to it being left on? Drain on battery perhaps? Wearing out the mechanism?

It's camera specific .... with Leicas/Panasonics IBIS in the S1R and SL2 (presumably the same) you can leave it on permanently with no issue.

With other implementations there is enough inherent 'noise' in the accelerometers used in the mechanism to generate sensor movement even when the camera is completely still when used for long exposures. On my Fuji GFX100s exposures of more than a few seconds with the longer lenses are ruined by IBIS being on when used on a tripod, so you have to deactivate it.

The general rule of thumb is IBIS off when on a tripod .... but you may find you can get away with leaving it on depending on the camera, lens and exposure time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, thighslapper said:

It's camera specific .... with Leicas/Panasonics IBIS in the S1R and SL2 (presumably the same) you can leave it on permanently with no issue.

With other implementations there is enough inherent 'noise' in the accelerometers used in the mechanism to generate sensor movement even when the camera is completely still when used for long exposures. On my Fuji GFX100s exposures of more than a few seconds with the longer lenses are ruined by IBIS being on when used on a tripod, so you have to deactivate it.

The general rule of thumb is IBIS off when on a tripod .... but you may find you can get away with leaving it on depending on the camera, lens and exposure time. 

A very helpful explanation - thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 6:04 AM, satijntje said:

I will stay with my M10 Mono. No need to upgrade to M11M.
Together with M10-R it is a perfect combo that will serve me for many years.
Maybe Leica is waiting with the release of the M11M until the camera freezing problems are solved.

Is it true that if your M11 has freeze-up issues - if you drop it top top plate first onto concrete from chest height, it cures the freeze-ups?

Asking for a friend...

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Herr Barnack:

Is it true that if your M11 has freeze-up issues - if you drop it top top plate first onto concrete from chest height, it cures the freeze-ups?

Asking for a friend...

Can’t tell you as I do not own a M11 anymore……