M11 Monochrom is coming ?

Kamyar

Also, given the specs of the M11, I can't imagine what I would need more than what the M10M and even the M10R already offer now.
New cameras usually mean new accessories, larger files mean more necessary storage for computer and backup, faster computers and sometimes the need for newer software.
As much as I used to (and to some extent still do) always want the latest, I see how little that affects the real goal, the printed image.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, strohscw said:

what I would need more than what the M10M and even the M10R already offer now.

I feel like it's getting like a never-ending-cycle now. I still shoot the M246, the M10M seems to be impressive but I still don't see the need for me to upgrade.

I don't get excited anymore since we all know it's Mx, Mx-P, MxM and MxR... A vicious cycle to sucks their customers in 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 1/14/2022 at 12:34 AM, strohscw said:

Also, given the specs of the M11, I can't imagine what I would need more than what the M10M and even the M10R already offer now.
As much as I used to (and to some extent still do) always want the latest, I see how little that affects the real goal, the printed image.

More accurate metering will help me more consistently achieve the end goal. The 28 Lux and many other M lenses when shot wide open have strong vignetting and a central hot spot that can fool the M10M rangefinder mode metering. Even the live view multi-field metering is often fooled, so being able to use central spot metering while using the optical finder will be a nice improvement, IMO. Simply dialing in negative exposure comp didn't work reliably for me since the meter would get the exposure right often enough to make it frustrating.

The increased resolution: for me, the bump will be meaningful but the downsides negligible. Using two other cameras around the 50mp mark (Q2/R5) alongside the M10M for a time, I did find myself missing those extra pixels on the M10M. I think 60mp on a 35mm sensor will be a really nice pixel density for monochrome work.

• Like 3

On 1/14/2022 at 12:05 PM, jonnyboy said:

I feel like it's getting like a never-ending-cycle now. I still shoot the M246, the M10M seems to be impressive but I still don't see the need for me to upgrade.

I don't get excited anymore since we all know it's Mx, Mx-P, MxM and MxR... A vicious cycle to sucks their customers in 😂

That's how Leica survives. They are a small company and if they can't keep an income stream by having customers buy various "new and improved" models, they will fold. I'm not suggesting people buy these products just to keep Leica healthy. The quality leaps in digital imaging areas like noise reduction, dynamic range and resolution have been rather dramatic in the last few years. The mechanics have also improved significantly with thinner, lighter camera bodies, quieter shutters and with the M11 more accurate metering.

That said, if you're completely satisfied with your results right now, by all means stick with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Because the M11 sensor seems to have been sourced from a different manufacturer, than previous M camera sensors, I would not presume that the Monochom version of the M11 would be on the same familiar schedule, or even that there will, necessarily, be an M11 Monochrom. Meanwhile, I am trying to hold onto my M10 and M Type 246 cameras, resisting the temptation to “upgrade.”

David Farkas’ Red Dot Forum article and images, that showed how well the 246 competes with the M10 Monochom, at amazingly high ISO settings, helped convince me to postpone acquiring an M10 Monochrom

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having shot the M11 for a while now, I can say I am awaiting the M11M with great anticipation.  I love the electronic shutter, the size, file quality, etc.  However I am also an M10M user and knowing the quality of the files out of that box, I really am looking forward to the next iteration of the monochrome 

Complementing an M11M with the new APO/‘Lux lens line is equally exciting.

Leica Rumours suggested that an imminent announcement may be as soon as December or January.  

Fingers crossed !

• Like 4