M11 Monochrom is coming ?

Kamyar

• 2 weeks later...

I respond to the thought of an M11M with a somewhat familiar sense of reluctance in advance of any such purchase, but I would most likely find it absolutely glorious in actual use. 

My experience with the M10M comes with a unique sense of "connectedness" to it as an instrument of utter transparency in mediating between what I see, what I visualize, and what an image can realize. It's an amazing camera. 

If any of that carried forward into an M11M, I would unquestionably move to add one to the stable. 

Guess it's time to start a new review of the equipment shelves to identify items to sell off in preparation. I'll bet the darned thing will be fully ten thousand US.

Y'know what, though? A 60 megapixel Leica Monochrom might just dislodge my Fujifilm GFX system. The M11 I've recently added has completely filled and surpassed the uses to which I put the GFX50r when I still had it, and I'm exploring it as a candidate to take over many of the use cases in which I reach for my GFX100S. I rarely print larger than 22 inches on the short side of the print, and a sensor in the 40 to 60 megapixel range works beautifully there, even permitting room for cropping where necessary. 

A 60 megapixel mono sensor? No Beyer filter? Oh yeah, I'd sign on for that....

Edited by DadDadDaddyo
  • Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

I was asked last week if I would be interested in the M11M by the Camera store manager. At the time Leica Australia Manager was in town for an event which I attended, The announcement for the M11M is sure to be soon. While at the Leica/Prophoto event tI was asked if I wanted to sell my M Monochrom as the presenter on the night, was interested in purchasing a unit. I felt a strong sense of resistance (even though I haven't used the M9M lately) to the idea although my logical self retorted "I am not using the camera, why not sell.

I am waiting for a new battery to arrive and planning to take take the camera on a trip to Melbourne later this month so I wont be selling and I am sorry I even mentioned the idea in idle conversation. As for the M11M - I am very happy with the M10M thank you and I do not wish to repeat the "shelving" concept of the M9M to the M10M Camera. Buying the next model creates complex issues that one has to live with. 

Ken 

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm thinking to let my M246 go in the next few weeks whilst it still goes for some decent money. I'm eager to get a M10Mono and if the M11M will come out this summer it should definitely drop few 100s off the previous model (in the used market).
M246 still perform nicely (especially the batteries!) but I'd love to get a slimmer/lighter body!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, colint544 said:

Claimed to be black chrome finish, same as each previous M Monochrom. They moved to black paint on the M11, saying that black chrome was bad for the environment..

Might just be the words used to describe the finish - not meant to reflect as black chrome in the M10 sense but black chrome as in "not black paint" in the lacquer-ish sense (to avoid people getting excited). I don't even know how to describe the M11 finish using the terminology I know of...but if I were to choose between black paint and black chrome to describe it I'd choose the latter (no idea if it is really chromed though).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James1975 said:

But I'm still going to buy it. Send help. Please.

Help or not - you're at a point where a new camera isn't going to help the pictures.

If I had the disposable income for that I'd spend it...anything but a camera. And if there are no home improvements, no printer, no travel in the cards etc then perhaps a good organization will make great use of it. 

That's my attempt at help! 

Leica's internal release states "scratch resistant black finish". No where does it say black chrome or black paint. From the wording I suspect it is the same as the black M11. The surround around the front of the viewfinder is dark chrome vs bright chrome to help give the body more of a stealth look. Up to 125 - 200,000 ISO, wow. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, insideline said:

Leica's internal release states "scratch resistant black finish". No where does it say black chrome or black paint. From the wording I suspect it is the same as the black M11. The surround around the front of the viewfinder is dark chrome vs bright chrome to help give the body more of a stealth look. Up to 125 - 200,000 ISO, wow. 

When I say 'claimed to be black chrome finish', I'm getting that from the Leica Rumors site. Can you link us to the Leica internal release on the M11 Monochrom? Sounds like there's more detailed info there, cheers

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by colint544