Survey: Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

LUF Admin

Leica M11 Survey  

662 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

• Yes, already as good as pre-ordered
    • Probably yes, got to check my savings
    • I'm still waiting for reviews and first hand experiences
    • Thanks, I'll stick with my M10....
    • Other opinion (please comment below)

This poll is closed to new votes

37 minutes ago, SrMi said:

How would your speculative M differ from the great SL2-S?

I would get away with rangefinder mechanisms and install EVF and an IBIS no video. Given that rangefinder mechanisms costs about 1k EUR by estimate, electronic components are cheep, cost wise body like this should cost just a bit less then M11. This setup would be smaller and liter then my SL2-S (not that is bathers me too much) for travel and walkaroun use. I know it will never happen taught.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, V23 said:

I would get away with rangefinder mechanisms and install EVF and an IBIS no video. Given that rangefinder mechanisms costs about 1k EUR by estimate, electronic components are cheep, cost wise body like this should cost just a bit less then M11. This setup would be smaller and liter then my SL2-S (not that is bathers me too much) for travel and walkaroun use. I know it will never happen taught.

So, it would be the same as SL2-S,  just a bit smaller,  a bit lighter, a bit cheaper, but would not support the great L-mount lenses, and will not have AF? If such an M would be on the market, I would buy SL2-S instead. :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SrMi said:

So, it would be the same as SL2-S,  just a bit smaller,  a bit lighter, a bit cheaper, but would not support the great L-mount lenses, and will not have AF? If such an M would be on the market, I would buy SL2-S instead. :)

Just make the SL-Lite with the L mount and 60 mpx, made of a light alloy or carbon, sell it with the M adapter and it will be an answer to many requests. I will be happy with the EVF from the new Visoflex 2. 
I handled the black M11 on Saturday and it feels very light and balanced in the hand. I believe that an Sl can be made very light. 

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

It would be M BODY, M mount, EVF, IBIS, no video. Not in SL body SL2-s is great as is.

1 hour ago, V23 said:

It would be M BODY, M mount, EVF, IBIS, no video. Not in SL body SL2-s is great as is.

Sony put a a7x series camera into a A6xx body,  making the A7c.  I think some people want a SL in M type body.  I would keep it L mount native so you can use both L and m lenses (with adaptor).  Tweak the sensor so it is maximized for m lenses.  I would buy such a body.  That would allow me to use m lenses when I want to be discreet and L lenses when I want autofocus.  A camera like this would get me to convert completely to the Leica ecosystem.  I don’t shoot birds so the lack of super tele lenses on L mount doesn’t bother me.

A lot of people say this is just a full frame CL.  I think this is a super-premium full frame CL.  Hell, they can call it the ML.  Go ahead Leica, I won’t sue…

Edited by M Journey
spelling
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 3:54 AM, ynp said:

but it’s substantially lighter than my M10-r. Super comfortable with my Konica 35 uc. But the weight advantage of the camera is not enough for me to swap my 10-r for the new m11. 

Best to just add a few more pushups to your exercise regime. And it's free! 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, SrMi said:

IMO, such a camera should be part of the SL line, not the M line, 

IMO, that would be pointless.

By proposing a smaller, lighter SL, Leica would hardly be filling a gap.  The SL cameras are full frame, full functioning system cameras, with fabulous lenses with none of the compromises to size and weight inherent in the M mount.  Conversely, the M mount constrains almost everything about the M camera - that is the point.  The lenses are manual, small, light and designed to be the best they can be without electronic or software enhancement, and the cameras are limited to manual control of still photography.

While the L mount cameras are M lens compatible, the reverse is not true.  Making a smaller, lighter L mount actually doesn’t fill the gap of an M mount camera with an EVF built in.  It doesn’t need to be anything but that - an M mount camera, but with the OVF replaced with an EVF.  That is the point.

2 minutes ago, graphlex said:

An EVF-only M would enable competing lens manufacturers to develop a market for M lenses without rangefinder coupling. Leica itself surely would want to discourage that. 

Some do that already - Zeiss Distagon 15/2.8 ZM.  Apart from Chinese knock-offs, other makers of M mount lenses have struggled; I doubt it’s the RF coupling which has been the problem …

3 hours ago, SrMi said:

IMO, such a camera should be part of the SL line, not the M line, 

Thanks no thanks for smeared corners with M wides and no L-mount camera can manage to trigger auto focus magnification with M lenses. I thought i were alone to ask for an M-mount mirrorless a couple years ago. Now i'm glad to see that we are a bit more than two or three :D

Edited by lct
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, lct said:

Thanks no thanks for smeared corners with M wides and no L-mount base camera can manage to trigger auto focus magnification. I thought i were alone to ask for an M-mount mirrorless a couple years ago. Now i'm glad to see that we are a bit more than two or three :D

All M cameras are mirrorless :).

What you want is a an EVF-only camera, with M mount. 

• Haha 1

I just came back home from an assignment for a regional travel magazine. Five days among oasis, desert islands, and beautiful landscapes. From sunrise to sunset. Never shoot in dark environments, except a few random photos. I bring my M10 + CV 21/4 + CV 35/1.2III + 35 Cron (asph I) + 50 Cron (v5)... Four lenses, two batteries, and 256GB are available. I guess I used about 92% OVF. It was my first time (professionally) ever with only an M system. I used Q2M and M10 for one day, once. And many times Dslr + M10... But only M10 (I mean one body, that's it), one card slot, and two batteries only, it was the first time. I must say, the camera did an amazing job; I'm grateful and thrilled I relied on my M10. Today culling, soon I will share my faves!

M10 nailed it, professionally speaking. If only I had two extra batteries and another body, I would have made things easier and probably, got more compelling photos (having two bodies with two lenses attached). The conditions, I would say, were challenging. Ocean water, boats, 4x4 roads, dust, dirt, and sand. Pretty thought conditions. It also fell off from an SUV's backseat to the floor with soil. I took the camera quickly, and there was about half a spoon of dirt between the lens and the hood 😱 So far, so good. It passed the IP rating, lol

P.s. If I want to use soon and exclusively use the M system for professional work, I know I need another body soon. I found a super deal for an M10P/R? Or is it wise to embrace the new M11 ? 🤔

• Like 1

vor 36 Minuten schrieb Dennis:

[…] P.s. If I want to use soon and exclusively use the M system for professional work, I know I need another body soon. I found a super deal for an M10P/R? Or is it wise to embrace the new M11 ? 🤔

For professional work I would think about a SL2-S with an adapter for the M mount lenses. In combination with the M you would become a little bit more flexible, especially if you would add one or two SL lenses with which you could use AF.

If you would prefer to stick to two M bodies I would rely on a M10-P. Why? Over the last few years all glitches have been honed out and you can rely on the camera. I would prefer a well rounded camera over the latest and greatest, at least as long as there are still some minor glitches in the firmware and the editing software needs further updates until it really works well with the new cam.

Unless your customers don’t demand higher resolution files I would wait and maybe pull the trigger if I can get a slightly used M11 in a year when all the release itches are honed out.

2 hours ago, Knipsknecht said:

For professional work I would think about a SL2-S with an adapter for the M mount lenses. In combination with the M you would become a little bit more flexible, especially if you would add one or two SL lenses with which you could use AF.

If you would prefer to stick to two M bodies I would rely on a M10-P. Why? Over the last few years all glitches have been honed out and you can rely on the camera. I would prefer a well rounded camera over the latest and greatest, at least as long as there are still some minor glitches in the firmware and the editing software needs further updates until it really works well with the new cam.

Unless your customers don’t demand higher resolution files I would wait and maybe pull the trigger if I can get a slightly used M11 in a year when all the release itches are honed out.

Yes, I would prefer to stick with the M system only. Small size and light (compared to SL). I particularly enjoy using OVF. When it's not possible, or I work at short distances such as 50-90cm range, I use LV. In other words, I don't enjoy looking at the world through a screen. Hurra for the OVF!
So far, 24MP is enough for what I do. A bargain M10-P should be fine. As my M10, but silent. Perspective control and touch screen don't really need it. But I take it.
About the M11

• I love the 64 iso. On My M10, I try don't go below 200 iso (cause the highlights recovery), so it's almost two stops advantage to shoot wide open. Or to work on purpose at low SS.
  • I love I can change iso with the thumbwheel. I think it could be a life-changer. ISO deal is okay where it is. But up and down switches are awful. 
  • I love battery capacity.
  • And the slightly better sensor and DR.

I'm perfectly comfortable with M10 by daylight. The 200 iso is a limitation, but it works. The issue is by night. 3200 is my top. I rarely use 6400, only when mandatory. And having a solid 6400 is very important. AFAIS, about low light performance, the M10-P is like the M10. Maybe one extra stop for M10-R and one and a half for the M11? I didn't read all the comparison threads. In other words? Which M10 type (except M10M) give me the best 6400 iso performance?

• Like 1