Survey: Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

LUF Admin

Leica M11 Survey  

662 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

• Yes, already as good as pre-ordered
    • Probably yes, got to check my savings
    • I'm still waiting for reviews and first hand experiences
    • Thanks, I'll stick with my M10....
    • Other opinion (please comment below)

This poll is closed to new votes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/14/2022 at 1:13 AM, mfiorentino said:

I tend to agree. Loosing the bottom plate cover is another step towards removing the uniqueness of the M series. Look at this beauty:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It has been a war camera (although not while being with me) and has taken some beatings in its lifetime. It is built like a tank. This spells out "reliability". No-nonsense, stripped-down, high-quality, sturdiness are some of the keywords I have come to associate the M series with. I can't see the M11 being in the hands of a war-photographer or photojournalist…

most of us will never see combat, so....

vor 10 Stunden schrieb goodbokeh:

Chaemono, did you not fully read Kasson's test? The Nikon Z7 fully mechanical shutter was a disaster: "Don’t use the Z7 mechanical shutter unless you want shutter speeds faster than 1/2000." I need real tests from authoritative sources, Leica itself or a trusted source like Jim Kasson on the M11's mechanical shutter showing shutter shock is absent. Short of that the M11 will need to have a firmware upgrade to incorporate EFCS for me to purchase it. Posts here denying M11 mechanical shutter shock exists will not cut the mustard, not even close.

I did. He is using a long focal length only, 125 mm.

Waiting patiently for my local Leica store (NOT a Leica store... I don't like buying from them as that is like purchasing from Amazon or B&H... it damages the remaining infrastructure of local camera stores) to get stock. I'm #1 on the list for a silver camera and have been on the list since before the announcement. It took a month to get my M10-R. 

See for yourself. 135 APO ISO 6400 1/180" Hand held at around 4 meters.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And yes, those are Bosch rally lamps. Click though and see for yourself.

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Artin said:

It looks like a lot of people are planning on buying the M11.. I have never seen so much Leica gear up for sale on Kijiji as I see today the local market is flooded with M gear right now 

It’s strange.  I just searched Kijiji and only found one M10-p. 

Also, there are very few M10s being offered in the UK.

Edited by lucerne

I currently use an SL 601 mostly with my 50mm Lux-SL and Sigma 35mm f1.2 ART. Since getting my hands on an M adapter and a 35mm Summilux FLE, I've never touched my AF lenses again. I love the manual experience and the challenge of getting things right by myself. That said using this tiny 35mm-M lens is awkward on an SL for me. I now think an SL is too big even with an M lens because of the looks I get at the airport. This has made me consider selling my SL and L mount gear and jump ship to an M camera and invest in M lenses. 

Should I ditch my L-mount stuff for an M11? I can probably fund half or a bit more than half of an M11 if I were to sell my stuff. Of course, the downside is that I will be down to a single lens and will have to save up for more lenses. But 35mm focal length is the most useful for me. 

Anyone want to share their wisdom? (Do consider that I am far from a pro and only do this for fun.) 

18 minutes ago, voyance said:

I currently use an SL 601 mostly with my 50mm Lux-SL and Sigma 35mm f1.2 ART. Since getting my hands on an M adapter and a 35mm Summilux FLE, I've never touched my AF lenses again. I love the manual experience and the challenge of getting things right by myself. That said using this tiny 35mm-M lens is awkward on an SL for me. I now think an SL is too big even with an M lens because of the looks I get at the airport. This has made me consider selling my SL and L mount gear and jump ship to an M camera and invest in M lenses. 

Should I ditch my L-mount stuff for an M11? I can probably fund half or a bit more than half of an M11 if I were to sell my stuff. Of course, the downside is that I will be down to a single lens and will have to save up for more lenses. But 35mm focal length is the most useful for me. 

Anyone want to share their wisdom? (Do consider that I am far from a pro and only do this for fun.) 

I ditched my SL primes, and the 16-35 & 90-280 zooms, to concentrate on my M system.  I kept my 24-90 zoom, and use my larger M lenses on the SL with an adapter when required.  My M system remains my first choice.

Why keep the SL? Three reasons - it’s rugged and weather sealed; zooms; and telephotos.  And it’s a very good camera.

3 hours ago, voyance said:

I'm  actually selling all my SL gear and going with the M and TL2 systems which I already have.  Will add the M11 for now, then M12 . . .  etc down the road.  The TL2 will be for travel and will be even more compact and lighter with autofocus as a plus.

20 hours ago, voyance said:

The L system is awesome. You might feel that a small 35mm on the SL is awkward, but it works, doesn't it? And there is a slew of other M lenses that people use on their SLs and SL2s.You can use M lenses on SLs, but not the other way around. The tough thing about the M system is the mounting costs. The new M APO lenses that can take advantage of the new sensors are at nosebleed levels (which isn't to say they aren't worth it).

To answer the Question,  I'm waiting for the M 12.. with an EVF.   The pleasure of doing manual focusing with an electronic viewfinder cannot be beat.    Find another German word beginning with M that will convey manual focusing and keep building the M series.

I'm as proficient with the use of the RF as anyone.  But after owning and using a XT4 and GFX100  I'll give up my excellent M10-P the minute Leica has the cajones to squeeze an EVF into that frame.  I'd even give them a pass for no image stabilization.

For those who haven't tried this, borrow a Fujifilm XT4 or it's ilk, you'll be hooked.

1 hour ago, Stephen.s1 said:

To answer the Question,  I'm waiting for the M 12.. with an EVF.   The pleasure of doing manual focusing with an electronic viewfinder cannot be beat.    Find another German word beginning with M that will convey manual focusing and keep building the M series.

I'm as proficient with the use of the RF as anyone.  But after owning and using a XT4 and GFX100  I'll give up my excellent M10-P the minute Leica has the cajones to squeeze an EVF into that frame.  I'd even give them a pass for no image stabilization.

For those who haven't tried this, borrow a Fujifilm XT4 or it's ilk, you'll be hooked.

I own X-T4, I am not hooked at all :). I much prefer Pentax K3-III with OVF. Different cameras appeal to different people. As long as the rangefinder line is preserved, I do not care which additional model Leica adds to its product line. I can find a replacement for any of the current Leica cameras, except for the rangefinders.