Survey: Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

LUF Admin

Leica M11 Survey  

662 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to buy the new Leica M11?

• Yes, already as good as pre-ordered
    • Probably yes, got to check my savings
    • I'm still waiting for reviews and first hand experiences
    • Thanks, I'll stick with my M10....
    • Other opinion (please comment below)

This poll is closed to new votes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, adan said:

Sorry I can't give you both a "Laugh" and a "Thanks."

Your words will not be taken down and used against you in a Court of Law.

I still wish Leica (being innovative and oddball, and always ready to acquire our cash with accessories) would just create something like the image below - simple credit-card-sized LCD screen with a foot that slides into the hotshoe, and uses the EVF contacts. More elegant than a flip-out screen.

And totally optional and removable.

It is the one thing I miss from the old pro SLRs before digital. Even the regular LV LCD won't always work - unless one has a neck like a giraffe.

But I suspect Leica thinks FOTOS serves the same purpose (except for those of us who don't use smartphones, either ;) )

(EDIT: Anyone got Stefan Daniel's or Janko's (?) email? PM is fine - for their privacy).

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/profile/7587-stefan-daniel/

Jeff

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, adan said:

Last visited - 2018. (sigh). But good try!

I was aware… and remember the post on the M9… that’s how I found it. Thought it might still be active and get to him somehow.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

On 1/13/2022 at 11:53 PM, SJH said:

Firstly very well done Leica and evolution not revolution, however, no I will not be buying the M11 now, why:

- in Europe I had the M11 Silver and Black in my basket for 3 hours as I read through all the reviews and decided that ultimately my M10R Black Paint was going to stay. Here they didn’t all go within minutes and you could still have bought one 3 hours on from launch.

- I just couldn’t really see any meaningful upgrades for me in real life 

- the M11 is obviously the ‘base’ model, if I do buy it will be the M11P and I’m relieved I won’t be joining the ranks of the many who buy an M11 today and then trade it in at a 40%+ loss in 18 months time for the camera that will have had all the quirks sorted and just feel better to use day to day and give more joy.

- so for nearly the same money, in depreciation terms of trading, I’ve bought a Q2 Reporter so I have a unique camera to pair with my M10R BP for travel (along with my Q2M) that has OIS, a great EVF, 47mb and a 28mm f1.7 Summilux. To me this seems such a better deal.

- reading/seeing most of the reviews it appears that the undertone to most is that the M10R is more than enough and hey I have two batteries anyway so even that’s not a problem as it doesn’t do 30fps etc. You don’t have to go far on social media to see people who’ve been trusted with the base M11 for the last 2-6 months quietly (or not so quietly) buy an M10R BP during this period which probably tells you a story in itself.

- I can buy the new EVF and it will work with my M10R BP. 

- the M10R BP just looks and feels so much better in my view, so more joy to pick up and shoot  

- high ISO seems to be on a par and anyway I have an SL2-S and Q2M anyhow if it isn’t quite.

- the M11 in base form seems to be slightly more in line with the mirrorless masses with rolling shutter and e.g no baseplate which give character and lets face it we’re not using them to fire away at 30fps or changing the battery out after 45 minutes of 8k stuff.

- only in the Leica universe do people get excited about what really is a very modest step forward in day to day use  

- much as I love the latest and greatest from Leica normally (e.g. I was amongst the first to get the SL2-S, M-35 APO and 50mm 1.2) this just felt like the same thing as some iPhone ‘upgrades’ - 3 minutes after the new purchase and powering on to realise it looks the same, works the same and it’s almost the same as the last one in real life

So no - I will enjoy my M10R BP and new Q2 Reporter and have far more fun and joy than not having either and now having a base M11 that I’ll really regret getting 2-3 months down the line when all the M11P rumours start :)

Dear Forum - I have a problem, after reading all the reviews and then comments (plus shots) I now have a Silver M11 and love it ........ I only lasted 8 days and I have to put my hands up to confess and say I'm actually very pleased. Story of my life with Leica really!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tried out the M11 at the Leica store in Stuttgart. Pleasantly surprised how sharp the pictures were when shot at 60mb and how easy it was to shoot handheld. They had put an apo 50mm on it. Thought of keeping my M10 for another few years, but now I am not so sure anymore.

Edited by stephan54
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SJH said:

Dear Forum - I have a problem, after reading all the reviews and then comments (plus shots) I now have a Silver M11 and love it ........ I only lasted 8 days and I have to put my hands up to confess and say I'm actually very pleased. Story of my life with Leica really!!

Hello SJH,

I too, wanted to hold out for the M11-P but after reading about the improvements, I put myself on a waitlist for the silver M11.  How did you get a silver one so fast?

• Like 1

I have never had a silver M and probably would have ordered silver to separate it from my black M10M, but I wanted the lower weight. 
My black M11 arrives tomorrow from Leica Miami. I will enjoy shooting with it as it is a clear upgrade from my M10P. Had I gone for the M10R I would have skipped the M11.

On 1/28/2022 at 2:09 PM, LeicaS2 said:

I have never had a silver M and probably would have ordered silver to separate it from my black M10M, but I wanted the lower weight. 
My black M11 arrives tomorrow from Leica Miami. I will enjoy shooting with it as it is a clear upgrade from my M10P. Had I gone for the M10R I would have skipped the M11.

What time on launch day did you pre-order yours? 

Edited by hdmesa

On 1/29/2022 at 9:33 PM, hdmesa said:

What time on launch day did you pre-order yours? 

My order was at least five minutes late and the camera came five days after another poster wdahab got theirs 8 days earlier after ordering in the first minute.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Olaf_ZG said:

For weeks I was thinking about simplifying my gear, maybe replacing my gfx with the m11.

in the end i won’t, as a rf can not cover all my needs. 

despite looking a great camera, i will therefore not buy one.

M11 is a dual camera: RF and EVF. I use it in whichever mode it is more suitable for my shooting.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SrMi said:

M11 is a dual camera: RF and EVF. I use it in whichever mode it is more suitable for my shooting.

For me, a tiltable screen would be highly desirable and the long exposures (>4 minutes) are not proven enough with Leica. You showed me it is possible, yet I am not convinced, and I can’t maintain both systems.

decision was not easy though.

30 minutes ago, Olaf_ZG said:

For me, a tiltable screen would be highly desirable and the long exposures (>4 minutes) are not proven enough with Leica. You showed me it is possible, yet I am not convinced, and I can’t maintain both systems.

decision was not easy though.

GFX cameras cannot meter more than 30" in aperture priority mode. I had correct metering for 20 minutes with M11 (ISO 64). If I had to pick a camera for long exposure, it would be my X1D II or M11, not my GFX100S, though I need to do more long exposure photography with M11 to be sure. 

• Thanks 1

Seems like blackout times are lower than i expected in e-shutter mode with Visoflex 2 but 12500 iso pics are more noisy than my A7r2's let alone A7s1's as i suspected. I'll pass for the M11 but a cleaner M11-S could interest me pending the EVF-M if any.

Edited by lct

2 hours ago, lct said:

Seems like blackout times are lower than i expected in e-shutter mode with Visoflex 2 but 12500 iso pics are more noisy than my A7r2's let alone A7s1's as i suspected. I'll pass for the M11 but a cleaner M11-S could interest me pending the EVF-M if any.

Are you comparing at same resolution or at 100% ?