Jono Slack Review: The Leica Q3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Spodrasky said:

I have the Disney Leica Q2 and this will most likely be my only Q camera I need. Great review Jono.  I will stay with my M and SL cameras as the workhorse cameras. I am probably the only person that hates flippy screens. I really hope the SL3 does not have a flippy screen. I am sure it will since it supposed to the be the all-around camera. Like the fact they are moving more into phase detect, however I manually focus 90+% of the time.

The new sensor is wonderful. Does the Q3 have image stabilization. I do not see that in the specs.  I find for myself I cannot really shoot the M11 below 1/250th. I move fairly quickly and the large sensor shows more slight movement than my M10M monochrom. Maybe over time I will have less misses with the M11

Hi There

I don't really like flippy screens either! There is optical image stabilisation. 

best

Jono

• Like 2

3 hours ago, microview said:

I think it would also be great to have an option to show the crop full screen..."

Tthat was something I was holding my breath for, alas. Maybe possible with firmware change???

And thanks for your review.

Hi There

If enough people ask for it - then they will probably do it - so do ask!

I have

best

Jono

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Steven said:

Here's my take on the Q3 after a couple days of use. 

Objectively speaking, it's a great successor to the Q2. All the main features that we all expected are here. Finally a decent AF, a sturdy flip screen, outstanding image quality, thanks to a superb lens and sensor combination. Low light is so much better too. For those that cared for video, except for the mediocre AF, it's a pretty huge upgrade from the Q2 in terms of IQ and features. The other new features such as USB charging, new shutter release, fast app connection, etc.. all add up to make it a very worthy upgrade if you're a Q2 shooter. Overall, the image I get from the Q2 is often very impressively sharp, and reminds me of the M11. 

Subjectively speaking, the only reason why I would pick a Q over an M with a 28 Summilux, or even better a 28 Elmarit, or even even better a 28 Summaron, is the possibility to autofocus. The AF in the Q2 was usable to me. The Q3, while much better, is not good enough. It misses many many shots, and when it doesn't miss, it sometimes doesn't know what I really wanted in focus. My point is, I'm still more accurate, and more importantly more intentional with an M. Beyond precision, there are the colours: while they are good and natural, they are not Kodak film stock.

For these two reasons, I'll pick up my MP over my Q3 99% of the time. I'm just faster and more accurate with an M than Q. No debate. And I enjoy more the final scans of film, than the Q3 files that take me so long to edit, as with every Digital camera. 

P.S. the SL2-S remains the digital camera that produces the nicest image. All digital cameras included, since digital exists. 

Coming from you, to me, this is quite valuable feedback.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Subjectively speaking, the only reason why I would pick a Q over an M with a 28 Summilux, or even better a 28 Elmarit, or even even better a 28 Summaron, is the possibility to autofocus. The AF in the Q2 was unusable to me. The Q3, while much better, is not good enough. It misses many many shots, and when it doesn't miss, it sometimes doesn't know what I really wanted in focus. My point is, I'm still more accurate, and more importantly more intentional with an M. Beyond precision, there are the colours: while they are good and natural, they are not Kodak film stock.

I have never been an M shooter and only a Q shooter for a few months, my first Leica.  In that time I have not found its AF to be problematic.  I shoot Nikon and Sony as well as Fuji GFX professionally. Recently I was on holiday in Europe and shot about 2000 images with the Q2, all AF.  Rarely did it not focus properly and I was shooting often at f/1.7.  Again, my experience......  I am looking at your impressions as well as many others to determine whether or not a Q3 is in my future.  As far as a travel cam is concerned the Q2 has performed and ticked all the boxes..... just wish I could have a 35-40mm lens on it. 😁

Bob 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BobsFirstLeica said:

I have never been an M shooter and only a Q shooter for a few months, my first Leica.  In that time I have not found its AF to be problematic.  I shoot Nikon and Sony as well as Fuji GFX professionally. Recently I was on holiday in Europe and shot about 2000 images with the Q2, all AF.  Rarely did it not focus properly and I was shooting often at f/1.7.  Again, my experience......  I am looking at your impressions as well as many others to determine whether or not a Q3 is in my future.  As far as a travel cam is concerned the Q2 has performed and ticked all the boxes..... just wish I could have a 35-40mm lens on it. 😁

Bob 

If you’re happy about the q2’S af you will be amazed with the q3. It’s a very big improvement in speed and accuracy. It’s just disappointed for 2023 standards. it doesn’t work with my style of shooting, from the hip, with subjects moving, on the move myself.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Steven said:

Here's my take on the Q3 after a couple days of use. 

Objectively speaking, it's a great successor to the Q2. All the main features that we all expected are here. Finally a decent AF, a sturdy flip screen, outstanding image quality, thanks to a superb lens and sensor combination. Low light is so much better too. For those that cared for video, except for the mediocre AF, it's a pretty huge upgrade from the Q2 in terms of IQ and features. The other new features such as USB charging, new shutter release, fast app connection, etc.. all add up to make it a very worthy upgrade if you're a Q2 shooter. Overall, the image I get from the Q2 is often very impressively sharp, and reminds me of the M11. 

Subjectively speaking, the only reason why I would pick a Q over an M with a 28 Summilux, or even better a 28 Elmarit, or even even better a 28 Summaron, is the possibility to autofocus. The AF in the Q2 was unusable to me. The Q3, while much better, is not good enough. It misses many many shots, and when it doesn't miss, it sometimes doesn't know what I really wanted in focus. My point is, I'm still more accurate, and more importantly more intentional with an M. Beyond precision, there are the colours: while they are good and natural, they are not Kodak film stock.

For these two reasons, I'll pick up my MP over my Q3 99% of the time. I'm just faster and more accurate with an M than Q. No debate. And I enjoy more the final scans of film, than the Q3 files that take me so long to edit, as with every Digital camera. 

P.S. the SL2-S remains the digital camera that produces the nicest image. All digital cameras included, since digital exists. 

With my short use of my Q3 today I found that the default-out-of-the-box "iAF" was doing strange things, especially focusing on the background instead of the subject. Switching to SAF (single shot no tracking) made it far better.

• Like 1

Can someone please tell me: If one programs one of the function buttons to AFLock, and engages and releases the button, then recomposes, will the camera refocus upon pressing the shutter release? Or to avoid refocusing upon tripping the shutter, must the function button be pressed and held? Thanks.

Once the knees and low back start to go the flippy screens start to become much more of an advantage for shooting anything low to the ground. 

The DR difference is not as much as I had hoped as I don’t feel the 60 MP Sony sensor shows as dramatic an increase in DR as previous Sony sensors showed.  I have the Sigma Fp-L which has the same sensor and the ability to push shadows is not much better than the older 47mp sensor in the Q2 and SL2. 

Happy to see the new battery with its longer life is now priced at a much more reasonable amount and will work with the SL2.  

Paul

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steven said:

The AF in the Q2 was unusable to me. The Q3, while much better, is not good enough. It misses many many shots, and when it doesn't miss, it sometimes doesn't know what I really wanted in focus. My point is, I'm still more accurate, and more importantly more intentional with an M. Beyond precision, there are the colours: while they are good and natural, they are not Kodak film stock.

This is how I "graduated" from Q and Q2 to M11 - I wasn't happy with Q2's autofocus, especially when using it shortly after my Sony cameras, so I eventually started shooting Q2 in manual focus instead. And manual focus on the M-series is much easier to use than on the Q-series.

The new EVF should make the manual focus on Q3 much more usable, even if the autofocus lags behind Sony's. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aram Langhans said:

I have read this a few times here - Sony Sensor.  Is that just speculation or is there some evidence for this?

I think only Sony manufacturers a sensor at 61 megapixel full frame and the specifications they have (specifically raw pixels and readout speed) correspond to the sensor specifications of the Q3/M11/M11M: https://www.sony-semicon.com/files/62/pdf/p-13_IMX455AQK_BQK_ALK_Flyer.pdf There is even a monochrome version of the sensor (IMX455ALK) for the M11M.

It is not definitely until someone tears the camera down, but I think it is highly likely.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, frankchn said:

I think only Sony manufacturers a sensor at 61 megapixel full frame and the specifications they have (specifically raw pixels and readout speed) correspond to the sensor specifications of the Q3/M11/M11M: https://www.sony-semicon.com/files/62/pdf/p-13_IMX455AQK_BQK_ALK_Flyer.pdf There is even a monochrome version of the sensor (IMX455ALK) for the M11M.

It is not definitely until someone tears the camera down, but I think it is highly likely.

M11 sensor: IMX455AQK1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by beewee
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steven said:
7 hours ago, BobsFirstLeica said:

Bob 

If you’re happy about the q2’S af you will be amazed with the q3. It’s a very big improvement in speed and accuracy. It’s just disappointed for 2023 standards. it doesn’t work with my style of shooting, from the hip, with subjects moving, on the move myself.  

I fully understand.  When I got the Q2 I had no expectations the AF would be anywhere near Sony or Nikon.  I tested it out for a week in a variety of situations to get a "feel" of what it would do and not do.  At the end of the week FW 5.00 came out and muddied the waters a bit but it did tell me not to use face/eye detect unless I was within a short distance of the subject.  I have not been a MF shooter for a very long time but maybe it is time I give it a good try!

Bob

5 hours ago, Tobers said:

With my short use of my Q3 today I found that the default-out-of-the-box "iAF" was doing strange things, especially focusing on the background instead of the subject. Switching to SAF (single shot no tracking) made it far better.

Very valuable piece of info.  What do you think your keeper rate was with SAF vs iAF?  Thanks for posting.  

Bob

56 minutes ago, BobsFirstLeica said:

Very valuable piece of info.  What do you think your keeper rate was with SAF vs iAF?  Thanks for posting.  

Bob

I’ve been using mine with AFc and eye detection for street. Decent results. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BobsFirstLeica said:

Bob

TBH I only took about 50 pictures before I exhausted the small charge I had put into the battery so I don't have a decent sample size.