Jono Slack Review: The Leica Q3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I still would like a separate 75mm version of a Q (Qt - for telephoto - or different letter) and then there is a proper combo that one can shoot with to get the job done properly. I just can't use digital zoom with losing resolution. Certainly not for a client when working.

A 28mm and a 75mm would be great. A number of pro photographers I have come across using Q or Q2s have agreed with me on this and said they would love one. Then they wouldn't have to lug around a Nikon, Canon etc. with a longer lens. (I use a Nikon with a 85mm f1.4). 

Whilst two cameras is a bit of a hassle, it does mean that there is the consistency of image quality, and size and weight advantages.

Any thoughts, anyone? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick h said:

I still would like a separate 75mm version of a Q (Qt - for telephoto - or different letter) and then there is a proper combo that one can shoot with to get the job done properly. I just can't use digital zoom with losing resolution. Certainly not for a client when working.

A 28mm and a 75mm would be great. A number of pro photographers I have come across using Q or Q2s have agreed with me on this and said they would love one. Then they wouldn't have to lug around a Nikon, Canon etc. with a longer lens. (I use a Nikon with a 85mm f1.4). 

Whilst two cameras is a bit of a hassle, it does mean that there is the consistency of image quality, and size and weight advantages.

Any thoughts, anyone? 

Never happening. Would be a huge fail. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Steven said:

About the M11 being reminiscent of the analog look of the M9, if I reminisce correctly, I didn't say it myself. I said it's what I was told the M11 was going to be, long before it came out. Repeating info from a source. 

As for my thought process about hating the M11, it consisted of buying it, trying it for 6 months, deciding that I hated the look of every single photo I took with it, and the noise and feel of it's shutter, selling it, buying it again a few months later to give it another chance, remembering quickly why I hated it in the first place, and selling it again. 

The Q3 gives a similar look, in worst. With the M11, while the image is too digital, it can be used with vintages that I love. The sensor/lens comb of the Q3 is so sharp that sometimes it looks like software sharpened like on the iPhone ! That being said, I'm not easy with digital. There's only one camera I'm willing to use, it's the SL2-S. Love its output. 

As for the Ms, my favourite is the M10P. thought process for that is looking back at several thousand images taken with M cameras. I always prefer the rendering of the M10P. And I've always said it. It was true then. It's true now. 

Thanks, Steven. The only two cameras I have right now are the SL2-S (Reporter) and M6 (new), so I can understand. I wish Leica would make an M camera with the SL2-S sensor.

A much needed excellent review! I don’t have to go anywhere else for questions.

The Q3 improvements over the Q2 look solid, especially with the sensor and most things electronics. But for me the basics are the same, the body and the lens. I was guessing they would outfit it with a 35mm lens, in which case people like me with the Q2 might be tempted, given the price of a Leica lens alone. Oh well, maybe the Q4 would be given a different lens.

Thank you for posting!

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 2:56 PM, nick h said:

Any thoughts, anyone? 

Hi Nick

I think it's an interesting point - I have to say that in those circumstances I'd rather take an M with two lenses (a 28 and a 75). That way you get the best of both worlds. On the other hand I can see the argument for a Q with a longer focal length, but perhaps 50 would be more useful than 75? 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Miltz said:

Has anyone actually reviewed the camera who didn’t get a pre-production copy from Leica? Every single review I’ve seen it’s from Leica guys who got an early copy. I wanna see an independent review. 

Hmmm 

My copy is going back in the next few days - but I hope I was independent. If I'd bought a camera then there is a whole other bunch of confirmation psychology involved - in my case they've been sending cameras to test for nearly 20 years . . . and then I send them back. 

How do you define independent?

Edited by jonoslack
  • Like 9

49 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Hmmm 

My copy is going back in the next few days - but I hope I was independent. If I'd bought a camera then there is a whole other bunch of confirmation psychology involved - in my case they've been sending cameras to test for nearly 20 years . . . and then I send them back. 

How do you define independent?

Well someone who bought the camera with their money and doesn’t have a 20 year relationship with Leica. It’s nothing personal, but you get what I’m saying. I guess I’ll conduct my own review when I get it and test it out personally. 

1 hour ago, Miltz said:

Well someone who bought the camera with their money and doesn’t have a 20 year relationship with Leica. It’s nothing personal, but you get what I’m saying. I guess I’ll conduct my own review when I get it and test it out personally. 

I guess you have enough free cash to buy your own cameras and lenses purely on the basis of their specs and find out their real world problems for yourself. Many of us don’t, and have to find reviewers we can trust. One can only learn who to trust on the basis of experience i.e. if your own experience after buying the camera or lens matches the review then you trust them. You also have to find a reviewer who appears to look for the same things in a camera as you do. I’ve been reading Jono’s reviews for more than 10 years and have learned (from my own experience after buying) that his reviews (and those of some others) are relevant to my wants, and trustworthy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I guess you have enough free cash to buy your own cameras and lenses purely on the basis of their specs and find out their real world problems for yourself. Many of us don’t, and have to find reviewers we can trust. One can only learn who to trust on the basis of experience i.e. if your own experience after buying the camera or lens matches the review then you trust them. You also have to find a reviewer who appears to look for the same things in a camera as you do. I’ve been reading Jono’s reviews for more than 10 years and have learned (from my own experience after buying) that his reviews (and those of some others) are relevant to my wants, and trustworthy.

Your response sounds like a little kid trying to defend someone else by making ridiculous claims about me, why I do things, how I think, and my financial status all without knowing anything about me at all. There is nothing wrong with someone asking if anyone has seen any reviews by people who Leica didn’t give cameras to for PR. Grow up. 

Edited by Miltz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Miltz said:

Your response sounds like a little kid trying to defend someone else by making ridiculous claims about me, why I do things, how I think, and my financial status all without knowing anything about me at all. There is nothing wrong with someone asking if anyone has seen any reviews by people who Leica didn’t give cameras to for PR. Grow up. 

EDIT- your constant negativity on this forum is a drag and I hope the moderators take note.

Edited by geddon_jt
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, geddon_jt said:

EDIT- your constant negativity on this forum is a drag and I hope the moderators take note.

I hope the moderators take note that I’m now being bullied and labeled as “negative” by two people because I simply asked a question about camera reviews. That type of behavior shouldn’t be tolerated. My question didn’t warrant that type of response from either of you, period. 

• Like 1

Hi, moderator here, taking note.

@Miltz Of course you are free to look for other reviews from other testers with a different point of view. Please share them.

But your question („I wanna see an independent review. “) implies that Jono is not an independent tester.

You may have noticed that some members sees this differently (including me) and that this seen as a kind of insult.

I suggest that everyone calms down a bit, you look for other reviews and share them and we can discuss them – in another thread.

Andreas

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Miltz said:

Hi There Miltz

I do buy my cameras with my own money, which is why (you may have noticed) the Q3 is going back to Leica - because I didn't choose to buy it. If I bought everything I reviewed I'd be totally skint 🤣. I do recognise that quite a lot of camera companies allow their reviewers to keep the review equipment, sadly Leica doesn't do this!

I might reassure you that I don't have any contractual arrangement with Leica - they have never paid me for my work, and I don't get paid by anyone else either - I do it for fun (because I'm nuts my wife might say). Obviously after this amount of time I have good friends there - but my real purpose is to find out what's wrong with their kit.

Having a 20 year (well, let's be strictly honest, it's 16 years) relationship with them means that I understand them well (and their intentions), of course this is a double edged sword, and your point is certainly not taken personally - it's reasonable!

On the other hand, as a tester, I usually spend several months with a piece of equipment before reviewing it, and you might think that gives me a good insight. Not many people have that luxury before writing.

If you want more technical information then I recommend you go to Reidreviews.com where Sean goes into every little detail.

Anyway - I understand what you're saying, and I certainly didn't take it personally

All the very best

Jono

Edited by jonoslack
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 7

I have been a beta tester with Jono and others for several years. We discuss very openly and take a very critical look at the new Leica products. Jono is probably the most knowledgeable and critical among us. If you read his reviews carefully, you can tell when he disagrees with something. But they are written with sympathy for Leica and the inimitable English ability to package criticism in a friendly way. That's why negative things are not so obvious. It's the same with the Q3. 

Most other so-called reviews, even those by well-known people on YouTube, are superficial and meaningless. There are only a few exceptions. The Sean Reid mentioned by Jono is one of them. Otherwise, the best insights are not from individual reviews, but from many individual insights and discussions here in the forum. You have to make the effort to follow it a bit though.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, elmars said:

Otherwise, the best insights are not from individual reviews, but from many individual insights and discussions here in the forum. You have to make the effort to follow it a bit though.

First of all Elmar - thank you for the kind words - they're very much appreciated, and I certainly do try to be calm (except possibly to Leica!)

There is a point that's worth making here, that there will inevitably be things about a camera which I personally do not like, but if other people do like them, and they work properly, then it's really not my job to irritate those people with my own subjective opinions, so I try not to do that.

Just as an example, personally, I really don't see the point of buying a 60mp camera and taking 36mp or 18mp images with it. But I realise that lots of people do like this function, and it works well, so I don't think it's my place to criticise it. 

And Elmar - you're quite right, the many individual insights and discussions here on the forum are a really good way of getting a proper feel for a camera.

All the best

• Like 3

I’m not sure buying a camera and reviewing it after purchase automatically evidences a less subjective bias than reviewing a camera that was loaned to you by the manufacturer. In fact, I suspect the opposite is true, since one may be more inclined to have some confirmation bias to justify their investment, particularly given the cost of Leica items. Either way there is necessarily some degree of subjectively. The only thing objective about any camera review is it’s spec sheet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, geddon_jt said:

I’m not sure buying a camera and reviewing it after purchase automatically evidences a less subjective bias than reviewing a camera that was loaned to you by the manufacturer. In fact, I suspect the opposite is true, since one may be more inclined to have some confirmation bias to justify their investment, particularly given the cost of Leica items. Either way there is necessarily some degree of subjectively. The only thing objective about any camera review is it’s spec sheet.

Hah! Spec sheets aren't always that objective either 🤣 - 

Although for most people it's a real treat to be loaned a camera to test by the manufacturer, I can tell you that 66 articles and counting and it isn't quite as much of an excitement! Actually, that's not quite true, it's always exciting to receive something new to test, but that excitement is quickly overwhelmed by the job of actually testing it! So I'd agree with you - confirmation bias is not something I'm suffering from when writing an article and I really really do try to be objective. 

All the best

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1