Jono Slack Review: The Leica Q3

Capabilities for cropping are incredible. 
Just have to well centered you subject. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Using the example of nuclear power to back up an argument against a tilt screen. 

TBH I didn't see that coming.

A nuclear powered Q4 would make the battery last for days. 
I can already see a limited Glow in the Dark edition coming. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's my initial thoughts on Q3 after few weeks.  This is my first Leica and I also own Canon R5 and Ricoh GR3 .  

Build Quality:  Beautifully crafted and well made.  It has nice weight to it and aperture, shutter speed dial and such as has a solid "click" to it.  Coming from R5, tilt screen is somewhat difficult to bring out as it is stiffer than R5 and I wish there is a place to put your finger to tilt the screen.  

Handling:  R5 fits my hand exceptionally well and I never had problem with the GR3 so it was bit surprising when Q3 didn't fit my hand well.  It didn't know the hand grip was important until I put the Q3 in my hands.  Since then, I bought the Q2 hand grip and Leica finger loop and it was been working well.  I'll also ordered the Q3 thumb support, we'll see when it arrives...

Startup time:  This was my biggest disappointment so far as startup time is slower than my R5 and GR3.  I wasn't expecting to be quick as GR3 but at least in par with R5.  I'm consistently half-pressing the shutter to have it ready, I'm hoping a firmware will make it quicker as it's my understanding Q2 doesn't have issue with this.  

EVF:  EVF is much more pleasing to view on R5 in every aspect.  Other than overall EVG image quality, while you're focusing, image quality degrades and becomes fuzzy.  I'm not sure if firmware could fix this.  

Auto-focus:  Auto-focus is much better on R5 but it's better than GR3.  Having said this, I didn't purchase the Q3 for it's auto-focus capability so I'm content with it's ability.   One thing I must get use to is the eye detect mode, there is a box on each eye of the subject and there boxes flashing everywhere on the screen, which can be distracting.  Coming from a Canon, boxes in each looks bit silly in my opinion and I'm unable to see the expression on my subject.  

Imagine Quality:  Q3's files are pleasing to look at, colors has this transparency that is difficult describe but pleasing to look at and shadows has depth and gradation.   I personally believe skin tone is better on R5 but Q3 is not bad at all as the DNG files are very easy to work with.  It's really amazing quality what Leica did from this small body/lens.  

Noise/High ISO:  Q3 does wonderfully during low light situation.  When there is noise, it's tighter pattern than R5 more pleasing to look at than other files.  It manages to keep good colors even in the high ISO settings.  

AWB:  Perhaps I need to shoot more in different conditions to give a fair judgement but I don't believe it's consistent as both R5 and GR3.  I'm countering this by using customer white balance and I don't mind it at all.  

Battery:  Battery life seems to on par with R5.  I won't even compare it with the GR3 as it's been well documented.  Biggest gripe on the battery is, I can't seem to find a replacement battery on sale at any reputable store (I don't buy battery on Amazon) at the time of this writing.   The way I shoot, it seems two battery would do just fine for a solid day of shooting.  

Other:  Like many other, I experienced my shares of freezes during the first few days of use.  Since then, I switched my card from SanDisk UHS-1/V30 to Pro Grade UHS-2/V90 and freezes drastically reduced.  I still experiences couple of hiccups here and there but nothing like before.  

I wanted a camera that I could always have with me to capture my moments of my family with better high ISO ability than my GR3.  Q3 accomplishes this with amazing image quality.  Working with these camera made me realize the difference in philosophy of these manufactures and it's wonderful as a consumer that we are able to experience the differences.   I would still bring my R5 in a situation where I must have that critical shot or bring my GR3 on a quick grab-and-go situation but Q3 will be my EDC camera.   

Edited by nonoirie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• LUF Admin unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 9:03 AM, hdmesa said:

"Flippy screen" is a screen that can flip around facing forward and all directions. This is a "tilt screen" that only tilts horizontally.

I don't have a preference, flippy vs tilt, but if it's going to be tilt, it should have been 3-way tilt screen that works when shooting vertical images. Half or more of my shots at low/high angles are in the vertical orientation.

I guess since none of my film cameras never had floppy or tilt screens I have never used them. Just seems like something to break. Up until the last month working with models 95% of my images have been horizontal and not vertical. Never liked the 3x2 format vertically. I prefer the 4x5 if vertical and then have to crop all my images. Just my opinion. I know a lot of people are hoping for flippy or tilt. I am not sure I will buy an SL with a flippy screen. I really just want an SL in Monochrom