Leica IIIf review

jbgeach

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/10/2020 at 12:39 PM, anthonym3 said:

It is not at all arrogant. I also appreciate valid reviews of equipment and having used several LEICA 3-F's and my 1955 model M-3 I found ROCKWELL's "review" specious. Also it is not possible to believe that he has owned or borrowed the very many cameras that he claims by virtue of his "reviews" to be qualified to critique. His "several knobs", etc. comment left me baffled. I am looking at my 3-F and I see a wind knob, rewind knob, two shutter speed dials and a shutter button. I suppose that one could stretch a bit and call this "several". Apparently if ROCKWELL had indeed used a 3-F the "several" knobs left him baffled.

I have viewed several of KEN ROCKWELL'S "reviews" and genuine reviews by others from which he plagiarized word for word leaving but one conclusion, he is an affable entertaining fraud.

Rockwell's site is much like the internet in general. A fair amount of opinionated rubbish but some useful information too. In sorting out the extended family's camera gear we found his Nikon lens compatibility chart an invaluable resource for determining which lenses would work with which bodies. 

I don't know what the fuss is about with Ken Rockwell other than he dares to share an opinion, which of course it leaves him open, but so what, plenty of other pundits have valuable opinions even in reviews of current Leica cameras. The widespread mockery is mostly just the kids in the schoolyard encouraging a fight without getting directly involved, they get a small adrenalin hit by joining in and suffer no danger to themselves. 9/10 people who criticise him wouldn't know why they do it.

I've recently been re-buying a lot of Nikon equipment and he is a valuable source for an opinion (and specifications) that I can cross reference with other sources, and my knee didn't jerk once in animosity while perusing his web site.

• Like 4