Review: Leica R8

jip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As much as it could be called a Review it's not really a review but more a showcase of what I've managed to create with the Leica R8 over the past 4 years.

Take a look at the pictures, or read my opinions and some facts about the Leica R8 in my new article:

http://jipvankuijk.nl/leica-r8/

35048093315_17b411ee47_k.jpg

• Like 3

Jip, nice overview of the R8. One minor point regarding the viewfinder screens. Towards the end of the R9 production run, Leica introduced a new screen which was essentially the standard screen with added grid lines (that is, combining it with the grid screen).

I've got these on my R8 and R9.

Jip, nice overview of the R8. One minor point regarding the viewfinder screens. Towards the end of the R9 production run, Leica introduced a new screen which was essentially the standard screen with added grid lines (that is, combining it with the grid screen).

I've got these on my R8 and R9.

Oh great! I didn't know about that one, would love to have one like that, will look at eBay sometime this week! :) 

• Like 1

The German magazine Photoklassik, which is dedicated to analogue photography, have a fascinating article about the history of Leica R camera in their current issue - 2018.III. They leave R8 and R9 out of scope but do state that since End 2017 spare parts are no longer available so generally one should assume they are not serviceable. For R3 to R7 this is apparently not an issue, spare parts should be available for years to come.

Repairs on the R8/R9 have been more expensive than buying a mint other copy for the past 5 years already.

If it breaks buy a 'new' one on ebay, much cheaper than sending it in for repair.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having used a pair of Leicaflex cameras with mostly 3 cam or 3rd cam only lenses - 28 = 250mm, meters not working, I have been tempted by a Leica R8. 
I’ve read some comments by ‘Masjah’ in the past where he has been quite complimentary about the “hunchback of Solms” or as I say “the year 2000 Leica “.

I’ve used it for a week now with 35/2, 50/2, 135/2.8. (All 55mm filter threads). I really like it. Such a luxury to have an inbuilt meter. I’ve tried it on A & P. I’m grateful to whoever put the handbook online and studied it comprehensively before it arrived. Got several sets of batts too. And an Artisan and Artist wide strap as I read that it’s heavier than the Leicaflex. For an electronic camera, it’s not at all complicated to learn. I’ve just put my first roll of Ilford XP2 Super through it and am looking forward to the results. It’s far easier to operate than my pair of Nikon D1X cameras. I’m now considering buying a second body. I reckon if I carry the 35 on one body and the 90 on the other, I’ll get them comfortably in my old Billy 335 with  film and batts. Will not need the Gossen Lunalite meter and the PP3 batts for that. Will certainly have another ACAM130 strap though. I don’t like the chrome topped one though, too noticeable in urban surroundings.  Would be hesitant at taking them abroad though, always a niggle in the back of my mind, and they do look ‘expensive’. Would take the old Leicaflex bodies. 

• Like 3

Great article.  I think I stumbled on it a week or so ago. 

While talking about focusing screens, also note that you can get diopter corrective lenses.  I have a -2.0 in my R8 and R9 which gives me about -3.0 which is what I need.  You can find them on ebay.