The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Review: Leica R8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jip

jip

Leica Guru

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationZürich, Switzerland
  • City / Ort:Rotterdam

Posted 12 July 2018 - 13:15

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

As much as it could be called a Review it's not really a review but more a showcase of what I've managed to create with the Leica R8 over the past 4 years.

Take a look at the pictures, or read my opinions and some facts about the Leica R8 in my new article:

http://jipvankuijk.nl/leica-r8/

35048093315_17b411ee47_k.jpg

• wagner and paulmac said thank you to this

#2 masjah

masjah

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 3,302 posts
  • City / Ort:Hull, UK. 973 Old Posts +

Posted 12 July 2018 - 19:40

Jip, nice overview of the R8. One minor point regarding the viewfinder screens. Towards the end of the R9 production run, Leica introduced a new screen which was essentially the standard screen with added grid lines (that is, combining it with the grid screen).

I've got these on my R8 and R9.
Best wishes.

John

John Howarth

#3 masjah

masjah

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 3,302 posts
  • City / Ort:Hull, UK. 973 Old Posts +

Posted 12 July 2018 - 20:12

PS: The later universal screen with added grid divisions is code 14387.

Best wishes.

John

John Howarth

#4 jip

jip

Leica Guru

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 21:39

Jip, nice overview of the R8. One minor point regarding the viewfinder screens. Towards the end of the R9 production run, Leica introduced a new screen which was essentially the standard screen with added grid lines (that is, combining it with the grid screen).

I've got these on my R8 and R9.

Oh great! I didn't know about that one, would love to have one like that, will look at eBay sometime this week! :) 

• masjah said thank you to this

#5 Per P.

Per P.

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland
  • City / Ort:N/A

Posted 13 July 2018 - 17:27

The German magazine Photoklassik, which is dedicated to analogue photography, have a fascinating article about the history of Leica R camera in their current issue - 2018.III. They leave R8 and R9 out of scope but do state that since End 2017 spare parts are no longer available so generally one should assume they are not serviceable. For R3 to R7 this is apparently not an issue, spare parts should be available for years to come.

#6 jip

jip

Leica Guru

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 20:03

Repairs on the R8/R9 have been more expensive than buying a mint other copy for the past 5 years already.

If it breaks buy a 'new' one on ebay, much cheaper than sending it in for repair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic