Jono Slack Review: The Leica Q3

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have always found that setting up a camera and menus, with both EVF and LCD in use almost continually, drains the battery quickly, with any camera. I tend to assume that the setting up process uses up a battery, and I need a second battery to then go out and take pics.

Edited by LocalHero1953

4 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have always found that setting up a camera and menus, with both EVF and LCD in use almost continually, drains the battery quickly, with any camera. I tend to assume that the setting up process uses up a battery, and I need a second battery to then go out and take pics.

That make me feel better, Hero.  My second battery is arriving Wednesday.  Recharging my original with a cup of coffee.  Patience is a virtue, right??  Many thanks to everyone!!

1 hour ago, reynoldsyoung said:

I noticed the camera was warm to the touch and the battery drained in about two (2) hours.

I have been doing much the same as you and, using the LCD for convenience, noticed that the camera does get quite warm. I suspect it's nothing unusual when working extensively in that manner.

Stephen

vor 37 Minuten schrieb Stephen_C:

I have been doing much the same as you and, using the LCD for convenience, noticed that the camera does get quite warm. I suspect it's nothing unusual when working extensively in that manner.

Stephen

That is my experience as well. 

10 hours ago, Stephen_C said:

Stephen

I've noticed this as well.

Another thing I've noticed is that the camera makes a fair amount of electrical noise. You can only hear it in a quiet room or if you hold it close to your ear. This isn't uncommon on cheaper electronics, but I would expect better from a camera this expensive. My Sony cameras don't do this, nor does my MacBook, iPad, phone etc.

Does anyone else notice this?

On 5/29/2023 at 4:50 AM, Stephen_C said:

It has been mentioned in various posts on the forum. In a nutshell, the Q3 lens cap is most certainly not going to fall off.

Stephen

That's great to hear and thank you! Man I really didn't want to buy a q3 lol as I still really like my q2 but that lens cap fall off thing is so annoying. Maybe if I buy the new lens shade and q3 lens cap for my q2 I can fix the problem 🤓

1 hour ago, cheekz4dayz said:

That's great to hear and thank you! Man I really didn't want to buy a q3 lol as I still really like my q2 but that lens cap fall off thing is so annoying. Maybe if I buy the new lens shade and q3 lens cap for my q2 I can fix the problem 🤓

Many of the reputable videos on YouTube (eg mathphotographer) show that the lens is identical so you should only need to buy the lens cap. Always worth checking first though given the cost of Leica accessories!

9 hours ago, MarcusGVA said:

How do you know? Have you compared both cameras' C-AF?

I've used the SL2-S extensively. You'll notice it the second you pick up the Q3. It's so much faster and so much more accurate than anything Leica has put out before.

I sold my Q3 already though. I really didn't like the output. But then again, I hated the M11. 

14 minutes ago, paul chiu said:

How is the autofocus with 4K videos?  Especially with human up close and macro mode. Thanks.

Too slow. Unusable unless you and your subject are moving very little. The lack of stabilisation makes it even more complicated. 

7 hours ago, cheekz4dayz said:

I bought a Otect Q Cap for my Q2M. No problems with it falling off. Ever.

3 hours ago, Steven said:

Too slow. Unusable unless you and your subject are moving very little. The lack of stabilisation makes it even more complicated. 

Thanks.  Videos on slow models then and landscapes.

On 5/30/2023 at 11:22 AM, Steven said:

I've used the SL2-S extensively. You'll notice it the second you pick up the Q3. It's so much faster and so much more accurate than anything Leica has put out before.

I sold my Q3 already though. I really didn't like the output. But then again, I hated the M11. 

Can you walk me through how you went from saying the M11 was reminiscent of the analog look of the M9 to now hating it? I want to understand your thought process to know how to make a decision on buying a Q3. Thanks in advance.

16 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Can you walk me through how you went from saying the M11 was reminiscent of the analog look of the M9 to now hating it? I want to understand your thought process to know how to make a decision on buying a Q3. Thanks in advance.

About the M11 being reminiscent of the analog look of the M9, if I reminisce correctly, I didn't say it myself. I said it's what I was told the M11 was going to be, long before it came out. Repeating info from a source. 

As for my thought process about hating the M11, it consisted of buying it, trying it for 6 months, deciding that I hated the look of every single photo I took with it, and the noise and feel of it's shutter, selling it, buying it again a few months later to give it another chance, remembering quickly why I hated it in the first place, and selling it again. 

The Q3 gives a similar look, in worst. With the M11, while the image is too digital, it can be used with vintages that I love. The sensor/lens comb of the Q3 is so sharp that sometimes it looks like software sharpened like on the iPhone ! That being said, I'm not easy with digital. There's only one camera I'm willing to use, it's the SL2-S. Love its output. 

As for the Ms, my favourite is the M10P. thought process for that is looking back at several thousand images taken with M cameras. I always prefer the rendering of the M10P. And I've always said it. It was true then. It's true now.