Jono Slack Review: The Leica Q3

Thank you, @jonoslack, a very helpful review, and, as always, I love your pictures!

I find the Q2 AF to be fast and accurate - except for face/eye recognition, which I found so bad that I never used it, let alone tracking. I believe the Q3 now uses iAF as in the SL2/SL2-S, which switches between AFc and AFs; I hope this implies that tracking, and body/face/eye recognition, will be greatly improved.

It won't be top of everyone's list of issues, but do you know if the 30 minute limit for video recording is still there (as in the Q2)? Being able to use the Q3 for static recording of theatre performance would make this even more versatile for me (and would allow me to replace both the Sigma fp and Q2 with the Q3). If that limit is still there, I shall have to ask Leica if it is a limitation set by the hardware (e.g. heat dissipation) or whether it will be removed with a firmware update.

I am also not convinced by moving the buttons - just as we seemed to be converging on a common interface across all Leicas😒

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Juno for another wonderfully helpful review! 

I just bought the SL2-S 50mm Summicron f/2.0 ASPH using Leica's discounted bundle price and voucher offer.  At that price it was, and is, an outstanding bargain, around $4,600 pre-tax.  I upgraded from the 601 and find the new combo outstanding.  I also added a Panasonic Lumix S 20-60 lightweight zoom to the bundle, covering my most used focal lengths.  

The new Q3 has me wondering if I should buy it or not.  I owned the original Q and found the 28mm focal length less than ideal for the type of images I create.  As a travel camera it's unmatched, but for people shots the 28 leaves a lot to be desired, at least for me.  So the new Q3 still has the same issues that the original had - a perspective that is at odds with how I prefer to compose (I'm a 50mm standard shooter by preference).  When I look at the Q3 crop size I wonder if an 18.9MP 50mm crop on the new Q3, combined with the 28mm focal length lens is something I would find to be more useful than my SL2-S/50mm combo.  Having the Panasonic lens also extends to wide shots quite dramatically.  And all the images will be 24MP, a far better match for my typical viewing/processing and very occasional prints.

I may buy one anyway, knowing that the camera will be in great demand, but the "Gotta have it" factor seems a bit less intense than I expected. Phase detect focusing promises a lot more flexibility, but the rolling shutter issue seems to still be present.  And in terms of video (which I rarely use) I'd actually prefer the larger SL2-S body.  Overall the Q3 appears to be a fine camera, but adding more pixels to a 28mm focal length still seems limiting.  As an alternative, although clearly a different solution as an imaging tool, my iPhone 14 Pro is always in my pocket, has a similar default focal length to the Q3, 48MP image capability, easy zooming, and as part of the Apple ecosystem can be easily processed/shared/stored.  The iPhone also allows for down rez created images, similar to the new Q3 and M11.  

For now, I'll stick with the SL2-S/50mm as my primary tools, and see how often I pull out the iPhone to capture the image I'd like to compose.  That will let me know if adding the Q3 is worthwhile.  Clearly I'd prefer a light weight highly portable platform like the Q3, but it also must improve on the overall "goodness" of the SL2-S combo to be my primary tool.  

Edited by lencap
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have the Disney Leica Q2 and this will most likely be my only Q camera I need. Great review Jono.  I will stay with my M and SL cameras as the workhorse cameras. I am probably the only person that hates flippy screens. I really hope the SL3 does not have a flippy screen. I am sure it will since it supposed to the be the all-around camera. Like the fact they are moving more into phase detect, however I manually focus 90+% of the time.

The new sensor is wonderful. Does the Q3 have image stabilization. I do not see that in the specs.  I find for myself I cannot really shoot the M11 below 1/250th. I move fairly quickly and the large sensor shows more slight movement than my M10M monochrom. Maybe over time I will have less misses with the M11

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Spodrasky said:

I have the Disney Leica Q2 and this will most likely be my only Q camera I need. Great review Jono.  I will stay with my M and SL cameras as the workhorse cameras. I am probably the only person that hates flippy screens. I really hope the SL3 does not have a flippy screen. I am sure it will since it supposed to the be the all-around camera. Like the fact they are moving more into phase detect, however I manually focus 90+% of the time.

The new sensor is wonderful. Does the Q3 have image stabilization. I do not see that in the specs.  I find for myself I cannot really shoot the M11 below 1/250th. I move fairly quickly and the large sensor shows more slight movement than my M10M monochrom. Maybe over time I will have less misses with the M11

"Flippy screen" is a screen that can flip around facing forward and all directions. This is a "tilt screen" that only tilts horizontally.

I don't have a preference, flippy vs tilt, but if it's going to be tilt, it should have been 3-way tilt screen that works when shooting vertical images. Half or more of my shots at low/high angles are in the vertical orientation.

• Like 2

Thank you Jono for your usual wonderful review.

Now, I guess you are free to test the new SL3 that seems to be smaller than SL2, with 60MP! 😉

I have the feeling it would be for 2024, and can’t wait for your review! 😅

• Haha 1

Colors look different from the M11. It’s probably the LR profile or the lens but given Jono‘s taste, there could be some change in the Leica color science for the Q3 to differentiate the look of the files from the M11 files. I don’t own either camera. First thing that struck me.

I have an original Q which I love.  It just seemed to fit in my hand.  Looked at upgrading a couple of times but I’m not one that upgrades because of more pixels.  Not sure about the Q3 yet it’s being sold at £5300 which is only £200 more than the Q2

How long will Leica continue to sell the Q2 I wonder?

2 hours ago, jplomley said:

Hope the SL3 will be more than 60 MP to get the most out of the APO Summicrons

I doubt it. I remember hoping that the M10 would be 36 mp when it was released. But Leica moves slowly. However, the new 60 mp BSI seems to be a very capable sensor.

Having used high resolution sensors (109 & 309), you really don’t see much of a difference once you get past 100 mp. 60-100 seem to be the practical limit. 

Back on topic, this seems to be a good camera. And thanks Jono, job well done. But I’ll wait for the Monochrom version.

• Thanks 1

I just compared the pictures in Jono‘s review of the M11 with the ones in his review here. The M11 pictures strike me as having better WB in combination with punchy colors. It must be the daylight WB setting, that Jono usually uses for outdoors, that doesn’t work as well in the Q3,. The Q3 pictures look more yellowish than the M11 pictures to my eyes.

• Like 1

Here's my take on the Q3 after a couple days of use. 

Objectively speaking, it's a great successor to the Q2. All the main features that we all expected are here. Finally a decent AF, a sturdy flip screen, outstanding image quality, thanks to a superb lens and sensor combination. Low light is so much better too. For those that cared for video, except for the mediocre AF, it's a pretty huge upgrade from the Q2 in terms of IQ and features. The other new features such as USB charging, new shutter release, fast app connection, etc.. all add up to make it a very worthy upgrade if you're a Q2 shooter. Overall, the image I get from the Q2 is often very impressively sharp, and reminds me of the M11. 

Subjectively speaking, the only reason why I would pick a Q over an M with a 28 Summilux, or even better a 28 Elmarit, or even even better a 28 Summaron, is the possibility to autofocus. The AF in the Q2 was unusable to me. The Q3, while much better, is not good enough. It misses many many shots, and when it doesn't miss, it sometimes doesn't know what I really wanted in focus. My point is, I'm still more accurate, and more importantly more intentional with an M. Beyond precision, there are the colours: while they are good and natural, they are not Kodak film stock.

For these two reasons, I'll pick up my MP over my Q3 99% of the time. I'm just faster and more accurate with an M than Q. No debate. And I enjoy more the final scans of film, than the Q3 files that take me so long to edit, as with every Digital camera. 

P.S. the SL2-S remains the digital camera that produces the nicest image. All digital cameras included, since digital exists. 

Edited by Steven
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4