New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/10/2022 at 5:15 PM, logan2z said:

And if you can't wait to see what Leica has in store re: a new film camera - if anything - Leica Store Miami has a new silver MP in stock (no affiliation).

And for those in the UK, Red Dot Cameras has new black or silver MA in stock, plus silver MP.  Ffordes also has black and silver MA in stock plus black MP.

Both excellent dealers, have bought from both, but apart from that I have no connection with either company.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fotoklaus said:

What was the reason for re- releasing the MP in 2003 when the M6 and M6 TTl have already existed? To bring back the knurled knob for film rewinding? What was the point?

According to the CameraQuest website, there were many improvements introduced in the MP including a new viewfinder that eliminated the M6's flare issue, brass top and bottom plates, better fit and finish etc.  So, essentially returning to the higher quality found in the earlier M film cameras.  

https://www.cameraquest.com/LeicaMP.htm

• Like 4

On 9/11/2022 at 12:27 AM, raizans said:

Would the universe implode if the new camera had motor wind?

I recently got a M4-2 which came with its original motor winder. It works well but adds quite some weight to the camera. But yes, for the potential new Leica film camera it could be an optional accessory. 

Just now, Martin B said:

I recently got a M4-2 which came with its original motor winder. It works well but adds quite some weight to the camera. But yes, for the potential new Leica film camera it could be an optional accessory. 

The Leica Motor M for M6, M7 and MP that is backwards compatible all the way down to M4-2 is super light and thin. Leica has to cater to purists first with a potential new analog camera, meaning a winder/motor would most likely be optional - if at all...

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 12:42 AM, madNbad said:

Gen Z buyers are changing the market for film cameras. Having grown up with a phone in hand and a camera always available, moving to film adds a challenge but not too much challenge. Cameras with meters sell well and bringing back a CM style camera would attract the buyers who are looking for a Contax T3. A rugged, water resistant composite body with matrix metering and a new version of the CL 40 mm for around two grand would fill that spot.

I would believe this as main cause for this new potential camera if it actually would be lower priced than M-P and M-A models. This would certainly then become more attractive for Gen Z buyers. But I doubt this will happen - Leica pushes the luxury brand name, and this will most likely include this potential new film camera. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

The Leica Motor M for M6, M7 and MP that is backwards compatible all the way down to M4-2 is super light and thin. Leica has to cater to purists first with a potential new analog camera, meaning a winder/motor would most likely be optional - if at all...

Learned something here from your post - does this mean the winder I have for the M4-2 works also for the M6 and M7 (because I have these, too)? I never even thought this would be an option!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 minutes ago, Martin B said:

Learned something here from your post - does this mean the winder I have for the M4-2 works also for the M6 and M7 (because I have these, too)? I never even thought this would be an option!

I do not know what winder you have. The newer ones are backwards compatible, I have very successfully used my Leica Motor M on the M4-2 I own. The Leica Winder from the M4-2/M4-P era supposedly works on M6, M7 and MP as well, but only the 1987 one, not the first 1976 one that had too much torque. Here is an article on the two I have in mind.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Thanks 1

I'm not looking forward to buying the new film Leica---if indeed it's going to be one! But, since a lot of people here posted their wishes for the would-apppear new camera, here's mine.

I would wish that Leica bring back to its existing models the M6's ISO film speed dial that showed both ISO and DIN numbers.

Edited by atournas

1 hour ago, atournas said:

I'm not looking forward to buying the new film Leica---if indeed it's going to be one! But, since a lot of people here posted their wishes for the would-apppear new camera, here's mine.

I would wish that Leica bring back to its existing models the M6's ISO film speed dial that showed both ISO and DIN numbers.

If you’re willing to hunt, you can get pretty close to that already. It won’t be new, but the first few batches of the MP had the M6 ISO dial on the back. Closest thing you can get to that 100% exists in the present.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atournas said:

Why would you care or need the DIN numbers?

On 9/9/2022 at 5:30 PM, colint544 said:

There seems little doubt now that a new M model will be added to the stable. Might they consolidate the M-P and the M-A into a single model which appeals to younger enthusiasts? It could cut down on the overheads. Might there be a red dot? I think so.

I'm not sure how that could be done without a new 'consolidated' camera being identical to either the MP or M-A.  You could replace the rewind knob with a crank and the current plain wind on lever with one with a plastic tip but I sincerely hope a red dot would not be part of the new camera! 

On 9/9/2022 at 5:30 PM, colint544 said:

But if they re-imagine the film M, give it a metal-bladed shutter, 1/4000th second shutter speed, auto exposure, or even a millimetre thicker or taller dimensions to the body, I think they undermine their legacy. I just can't see it.

Me neither.  There are rare times when I could use a stop or two more on the shutter speed, but not  often enough that I would want to trade the current cloth shutter for a metal one which would likely be battery dependent and potentially more noisy.    

The camera in the image a couple of pages back that was emailed to subscribers to the Leica newsletter looks like a standard MP to me, it has meter iso contacts and a one-piece wind on lever.  I can't see why Leica would discontinue either the MP or M-A if both are selling well but I do think upgraded M7 (1/4000th sec shutter, rewind crank and articulated wind on, AE, a shutter speed readout in the vf and a red dot option for those who want it) could have some merit.

They could also go the whole hog and load the camera with full automation as operational option; auto film loading, AE, single frame or continuous shooting, auto film advance and auto rewind, but where's the fun in that!                                                                                                                               

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1

Another take - speculation that the new film M will be the M6 resurrected. 

This sounds like a fairly likely scenario, seeing how the M6 was one of the most popular film M cameras ever.  Given the skyrocketing prices of used M6 cameras, there is definitely a market for a new version of the M6.

Whatever the new camera is, I'm just glad to see Leica increasing its stable of film M camera rather than reducing it.  That's a good thing for photographers and for Leica.

https://www.macfilos.com/2022/09/12/new-leica-film-camera-to-be-announced-in-october/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Another take - speculation that the new film M will be the M6 resurrected. 

This sounds like a fairly likely scenario, seeing how the M6 was one of the most popular film M cameras ever.  Given the skyrocketing prices of used M6 cameras, there is definitely a market for a new version of the M6.

Whatever the new camera is, I'm just glad to see Leica increasing its stable of film M camera rather than reducing it.  That's a good thing for photographers and for Leica.

https://www.macfilos.com/2022/09/12/new-leica-film-camera-to-be-announced-in-october/

Can't disagree with that, it would make more sense to expand a range of successful options rather than reduce them!

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

With a fast motor drive and the insane prices of color film… $100/minute shooting for film/dev/scan is on the horizon 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

Imagine Leica getting back on the M6 bandwagon and milking all those big $$$ that are now lost for them in intense second hand M6 swapping... if so - smart!

I've met a whole bunch of young photogs who want an  M6. Their dream M is the MP, but a used M6 is cheaper and thus more attainable.  And in most people's minds, pretty much the same thing.

So... you think those same people who are scraping everything they got together to buy a $2500 M6 are going to leap for joy at the thought of buying a new $6K M6?

That is not going to happen.  If there is a new M6, it will be a limited edition model, expensive, one off run and done.  Bought by people who have MPs, MAs etc.

Edited by Huss
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Huss said:

If there is a new M6, it will be a limited edition model, expensive, one off run and done.

I know more than a couple of people who will buy those when available, at any price 🤒

maybe including myself 😇, who knows (...maybe Leica knows ? ).

2 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I know more than a couple of people who will buy those when available, at any price 🤒

maybe including myself 😇, who knows (...maybe Leica knows ? ).

Indeed, my last two sentences applies to you!

• Like 1