New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just to have the regretted rewind knob and articulated wind-on (yes with plastic ! ).

M-As are boringly long to rewind, I had added the "rewind lever" but strange that the thing hurts my digits.

Even with new future (if) release M4-2 or M4-P, I'll buy two of those.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Al Brown said:

The Leica Motor M for M6, M7 and MP that is backwards compatible all the way down to M4-2 is super light and thin. Leica has to cater to purists first with a potential new analog camera, meaning a winder/motor would most likely be optional - if at all...

I have the latest winder and it just collects dust, unused.  While it is slim when attached to the camera it turns an M from a svelte little minx into a chunky munky.  I like my Ms svelte.

But the main reason I don’t use it is because I hate the kickback through the shutter button.  Just ruins the shooting experience for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huss said:

So... you think those same people who are scraping everything they got together to buy a $2500 M6 are going to leap for joy at the thought of buying a new $6K M6?

Leica does not give a flying f**k about broke hipsters, lol. This product is not marketed at them, and those are few. New Leica "vintage re-releases" are catered to whole lotta different folk who ALSO buy used M6's.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Huss said:

I have the latest winder and it just collects dust, unused.  While it is slim when attached to the camera it turns an M from a svelte little minx into a chunky munky.  I like my Ms svelte.

But the main reason I don’t use it is because I hate the kickback through the shutter button.  Just ruins the shooting experience for me.

Huss,

are you sure it is this one, 14408 ?

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Motor-M

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

among M other electric thumb, this is the one that has less "kickback" on the shutter button, when I use

Leicavit-M is another "winder" that I appreciate for "better handling", with large/heavy lens mounted,

becoming even heavier combo

Edited by a.noctilux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M7 update. 

Drop the shitty plastic iso/asa dial and the dx reader,  Brass dial or drop it all together.

Brass top and bottom plate, brass shutter dial.

M7 brass rewind knob  

MP film advance lever and view finder.

Drop the 75, 90, 135 frame lines.

Available in BCh, SCh, BP.

M10/11 Shutter with higher sync speeds.

Name it the new MD.

Profit. 

(I'd buy it in a heart beat even if I have to take a second full time IT job.) 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, hillavoider said:

could explain why i'm receiving #filmisnotdead emails from leica now 

Probably because they’re waiting till October to kill it with another MP special edition instead of something innovative.

1 hour ago, Laidley said:

M7 update. 

Drop the shitty plastic iso/asa dial and the dx reader,  Brass dial or drop it all together.

Brass top and bottom plate, brass shutter dial.

M7 brass rewind knob  

MP film advance lever and view finder.

Drop the 75, 90, 135 frame lines.

Available in BCh, SCh, BP.

M10/11 Shutter with higher sync speeds.

Name it the new MD.

Profit. 

(I'd buy it in a heart beat even if I have to take a second full time IT job.) 

I think this is pretty much they way they should go - basically a digital M that takes film. Auto exposure, etc etc.
But Leica won’t lose the 75 or 135 framelines; they’ve got lenses in those focal lengths to sell!

• Like 2

So there seems to be 2 schools of ideas regarding the to-be-released new film camera for October. 

1. a CM successor - a film P&S with fixed lens

2. a M6 ( or  possible M7) variant M system film camera, with more affordable price tag compared to the MP.

I'm surprised to find that there is still no leaked info at this point in time..  Someone should have some insight to share, so we can prepare ourselves ( for what? )

Cheers.

6 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Love the various flights of fancy - surely the logical thing to make is an MP, with aperture priority added, and marketed as an M6P!

I agree that most of the predictions/suggestions are likely way off the mark. If it's not a boring special edition, this new camera is unlikely to be anything other than a warmed over variation of what Leica have already made in the last 20 years. My guess is that they will "re-release" the M6 – essentially offer, as a regular product, what was previously available via the a la carte programme. An MP in black chrome with the slanted rewind crank, a red dot and M6 written on it. £4,499.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, comatose said:

I'm surprised to find that there is still no leaked info at this point in time..  Someone should have some insight to share, so we can prepare ourselves ( for what? )

Sigh… there was leaked info. Over a year ago now form an ex member who had inside info and 100% correct track record. He leaked so much correct info that it got him banned.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I do not know what winder you have. The newer ones are backwards compatible, I have very successfully used my Leica Motor M on the M4-2 I own. The Leica Winder from the M4-2/M4-P era supposedly works on M6, M7 and MP as well, but only the 1987 one, not the first 1976 one that had too much torque. Here is an article on the two I have in mind.

I have the one made in 1987 which fits to the other models! 

22 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Imagine Leica getting back on the M6 bandwagon and milking all those big $$$ that are now lost for them in intense second hand M6 swapping... if so - smart!

By now it is obvious that the gents and ladies in Wetzlar who run the show were born at night - but it wasn't last night. 

Leica is a business and businesses are here to provide products and make money.  There's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Herr Barnack

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

By now it is obvious that the gents and ladies in Wetzlar who run the show were born at night - but it wasn't last night. 

Leica is a business and businesses are here to provide products and make money.  There's nothing wrong with that.

I do not follow your answer... My gist was about Leica making a new M6 "speculated" product to sell for business and make money as they gain virtually nothing from second hand sales. What was yours?

Edited by Al Brown

8 hours ago, comatose said:

So there seems to be 2 schools of ideas regarding the to-be-released new film camera for October. 

1. a CM successor - a film P&S with fixed lens

2. a M6 ( or  possible M7) variant M system film camera, with more affordable price tag compared to the MP.

Cheers.

A new M6 is more of the same. If they want some film buzz, a P&S makes more sense. Personally, I think a film X2 would be wonderful. Or even a film Q.

There is so much speculation because Leica is in the unique position of being the only manufacturer actually capable of delivering a new film camera. They have the engineering, the knowledge and the tooling in addition to being just about the last one standing when it comes to delivering a film camera. None of the other camera manufacturers have any interest in a film body and are streamlining their current offerings.  Whether its a M body or something completely different, it’ll show they understand there still a lot of photographers using film.

• Thanks 1

• andybarton changed the title to New Leica [M6] Film Camera in October? [MERGED]
  • LUF Admin changed the title to New Leica M6 Film Camera