Pentax Film Camera

frame-it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, roydonian said:

When the shutter of one of my Leicas failed while I was covering an international air show some two decades ago, I told a fellow editor that the camera needed a CLA.

What was a CLA?, he asked.

His response to my explanation was to say that he'd bought a Pentax SLR as a young man, and it was still working OK many decades later, and had never needed to be serviced. He also pointed out that the 'office Nikon' had been used (and probably abused) by many staff journalists over the years, and it too was still going strong. Perhaps I should have chosen a more reliable brand of camera, he suggested.

Neither the 1957 Leica IIIf I bought used in 1965 nor the 1968 Nikon F my parents bought new for me have ever been serviced since I owned them and both are still working reliably albeit the Leica's vulcanite and the Nikon's slow shutter speeds could use some attention. 

• Like 2

On 12/24/2023 at 2:34 PM, TomB_tx said:

My first interchangeable lens camera was a Pentax H1a in 1965. Since this thread just popped up again, interestingly I had just loaded a roll of film in it yesterday, as it still seems to be working fine and I thought I'd use it like I used to: no light meter, just estimate exposure and have fun. I doubt if any new camera they make will have as long a useful life.

Pentax SP500 in 1975 😃

• Like 1

>>>

more details have now emerged regarding camera types and release dates. During an interview on the Faut Pas Pousser Les ISO podcast, Yazid Belmadi of Ricoh Imaging Europe announced that the film camera project will start by releasing two small compact cameras in Spring 2024. 

Compact cameras have been growing in popularity as a budget-friendly way into film photography, especially with the rising price of film. The small form and reduced film size make them approachable for beginner film photographers.

The compact cameras are, however, just the first step in the new Pentax film project, with two SLRs set to follow. "[SLRs are] the cornerstone of this type of camera," said Belmadi when asked about the SLRs, but at present there is no confirmed release date for them. 

The Ricoh-owned Pentax understands that it has a strategy for creating "very, very, very niche products," and this time is no different. Instead of following the latest trends in the camera market, Pentax has created this film camera lineup in direct response to surveys of Japanese consumers.

"The project to release film cameras is the fruit of extensive consultation with a number of players in the photo industry, particularly Japanese consumers, since experience has shown us that it works quite well when you make products in response to consumer demand, as they are those primarily concerned."

Creating products in direct response to what consumers want is a great idea, and an approach with which Ricoh continues to find success. By appealing to the desires of the consumer, the new film cameras are already in demand. 

https://www.fautpaspousserlesiso.com/episode-2-le-marche-de-la-photo-en-2023/#

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 3

My first interchangeable lens camera was a Pentax ES (basically an AE Spotmatic) with a 50mm lens, given to me by my grandmother in 1975 when I was 13. She walked into a ‘reputable’ camera store  in Sydney when she said she wanted a good camera to photograph the grandchildren and was sold something she was obviously never going to understand how to use. Lucky me.

I loved that camera, a delight to use, and very special for a 16 year old to learn photography with, replacing my old Canonet.

I took it overseas in 1978 but whilst in Israel dropped it maybe 20 cm max onto a hard floor.  Knocked the lens aperture ring and camera shutter mechanism out of alignment.  That was the end of my camera for the trip. Fairly or unfairly it put me off Pentax forever.

Bought my first Nikon in 1980 (FE) and stayed with a Nikon film system until I switched to Leica in 2010.  All the Nikons and Nikkors I had over the subsequent years survived all sorts of use and serious abuse but never failed me.

Having said all that, it is good for the future of film photography that there will be new film camera manufacturers sitting between  Lomo and Leica 🙂.  Good on Pentax.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

I really hope it is an advanced enough camera similar to the GR21/GR1S/Minilux/CM with decent/good lens and other options. If they release something similar to the Illford/Kodak/Agfa P&S cameras with f8 lens and 1/125 shutter speed "ales in focus", I will be madly disappointed :(

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/27/2023 at 7:17 PM, frame-it said:

The compact cameras are, however, just the first step in the new Pentax film project, with two SLRs set to follow. "[SLRs are] the cornerstone of this type of camera," said Belmadi when asked about the SLRs, but at present there is no confirmed release date for them. 

i'd be keen to see how the new SLRs goes against my canon 1v 🤓

3 minutes ago, sometimesmaybe said:

i'd be keen to see how the new SLRs goes against my canon 1v 🤓

will be interesting to see.

if Leica were to make a iiif today, with modern materials, 'twill prolly sell out within days, especially with the younger generation, but they seem to be more interested in watches

I'm not sure that photo is actually the new camera. Looks more like a Ricoh Auto Half, which is shown in another photo in the original article, and mentioned in the text as well. Riko apparently brought it with her and took photos with it. There's also a specific mention of the prototype being "thin". I'm guessing the caption writer got it wrong.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

That’s interesting. I didn’t expect a half-frame camera. That seems a shame, but wait, the full frame cameras will come later.

Half-frame huh…aiming at a younger audience wanting something that they can afford, is not too heavy, has retro charm etc. and with the cost of film these days it makes sense. I thought, oh, that’s brave, but now I’m quite intrigued. Young people rarely make large prints, they grew up with social media, small images. And there’s already a following for half frame. I might want one too, but it must have a quality lens and good viewfinder.

Edited by Mr.Prime

56 minutes ago, Mr.Prime said:

Half-frame huh…aiming at a younger audience wanting something that they can afford, is not too heavy, has retro charm etc. and with the cost of film these days it makes sense.

Same things were true back in the 60s when "everyone" had a camera for casual snapshots, and half-frame 35mm became popular for the same reasons, as most people just got 4x6 prints (at the largest) from the corner photo processor. Even then cost of film was an issue for many. I've had Canon and Olympus half-frames in my collection.

Posted (edited)

I’d be tempted to try it. I wonder if anybody ever took a film M camera and reversibly converted to half frame back in the 60’s.

Edited by Mr.Prime

22 minutes ago, Mr.Prime said:

I’d be tempted to try it. I wonder if anybody ever took a film M camera and reversibly converted to half frame back in the 60’s.

i think there was an m4-p that was half frame?

• Like 1

Nowhere in the article posted here nor the source article it’s based on does it say that the new camera is a half frame.

There is discussion of the visiting actress, Riko, having brought a Ricoh Auto Half (an old camera) to the meeting.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 11:16 AM, Mr.Prime said:

Half-frame huh…aiming at a younger audience wanting something that they can afford, is not too heavy, has retro charm etc

i think this will be a very clever move if they make a good half frame P&S, the kids aren't obsessed with IQ. many of them are shooting film for shat the lo-fi 'vibe'

i bought a konica recorder recently and ran a roll of Aerocolor IV. the quality is perfect for social media

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

After over a year of planning and development it's hard to imagine Pentax continuing down the path of releasing a half-frame camera when during that year Kodak released a perfectly usable and cheap competitor. The Kodak camera even has an excellent lens despite its low price. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 250swb said:

After over a year of planning and development it's hard to imagine Pentax continuing down the path of releasing a half-frame camera when during that year Kodak released a perfectly usable and cheap competitor. The Kodak camera even has an excellent lens despite its low price.

youre not wrong. that reto/kodak ektar looks decent, but it doesn't have AF and the build quality is distinctively plastic. just imagine a new mimi contax T3 🤤

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There's no reason to believe that the new camera will be half frame. All we know about the prototype is that's it's thin and light and has manual wind-on. The original article that DCW are recyling (with misleading captions) is part of a series where they interview guests and various film cameras are mentioned or shown, from half frame to medium format - links at the bottom of this page: https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/pentax/filmproject/

Edited by Anbaric
  • Like 2