New Leica M6 Film Camera

1 hour ago, smkoush said:

Here is my prediction (perhaps it was mentioned before): A Leica Q2-F, i.e., a film version of the Q2. Keep the lens the same, autofocus, add a simple frame line window for composing only, and replace the back with a film holder and a door.   

It would be at least the cost of the current 28 Lux M just for the lens. You can't cheat on optics with film. If they went with a mediocre lens, then you lose the allure of the Q and end up with just an average point-and-shoot fixed-lens film camera.

Edited by hdmesa

Leica Camera has just sent out a newsleter with content & links completely dedicated to film photography. a VERY clear message that something analog is coming.
"It goes without saying that Leica's heritage is in film and the love for the essentials of photography. Visit our website to see tips and stories from the realm of analog photography, that every film enthusiast should know. Because understanding the basics is essential for creating images with a unique aura, that no one can resist."

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, smkoush said:

Here is my prediction (perhaps it was mentioned before): A Leica Q2-F, i.e., a film version of the Q2. Keep the lens the same, autofocus, add a simple frame line window for composing only, and replace the back with a film holder and a door.   

LOL, have you any idea of what the photos would look like? The lens on the Q2 is designed for/paired with the sensor and the images rely on signficant digital correction for distortion. It's not a lens you can simply stick on a film camera instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Leica Camera has just sent out a newsleter with content & links completely dedicated to film photography. a VERY clear message that something analog is coming.
"It goes without saying that Leica's heritage is in film and the love for the essentials of photography. Visit our website to see tips and stories from the realm of analog photography, that every film enthusiast should know. Because understanding the basics is essential for creating images with a unique aura, that no one can resist."

Sounds like someone's been reading Walter Benjamin!

And looks like there will be a new camera. When I linked this to the beginning of the tread, it seemed as if Peter had tangible information, rather than mere rumor. Sounds as if he got this one right.

3 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Sounds like someone's been reading Walter Benjamin!

And looks like there will be a new camera. When I linked this to the beginning of the tread, it seemed as if Peter had tangible information, rather than mere rumor. Sounds as if he got this one right.

He should have. The testers were out there with the new camera for about 9 months now. But it seems the NDA's were well respected. Leica still does not realize the enormous marketing value of buzz created by early leaks.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

He should have. The testers were out there with the new camera for about 9 months now. But it seems the NDA's were well respected. Leica still does not realize the enormous marketing value of buzz created by early leaks.

Thanks for the info on the testers!

As to early leaks, Leica generally sells out its first run of a new product essentially overnight. The problem usually seems to be supply, not demand. 

Edited by bags27

2 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

They can and do with the Q lens distortion. That doesn't fly on film :)

Don't most (not all happily) of film users scan their negatives, so another good application can overview that.

That said, I don't think so that Q Film with fix lens is so good idea.

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Don't most (not all happily) of film users scan their negatives, so another good application can overview that.

That said, I don't think so that Q Film with fix lens is so good idea.

LR/C1 distortion correction tools can't fully correct the Q lens distortion – it needs a custom profile specific to the Q lens to come out close to perfect. In any case, the distortion on the Q lens is so massive (nearly fish-eye as stated above) that correction of it on film would ruin the film grain quality. It would be a similar experience to using a cheap Lomo camera except it would be very sharp in the center.

I have seen the uncorrected images from a Canon compact camera as rendered by the lens alone without computational correction. It was something like an odd fisheye image, just incredibly distorted. I presume a camera like Leica Q would produce similar images using the lens alone, maybe not as drastic but stil unusable for straight-to-film.

So it's clear it's coming then. And will very likely have some 'improvements'. 

I don't know enough about tech to know what's possible / likely, but I will say again I'm happy with all existing M film features + 1/4000 shutter.  That'd be great ! 

Will it be A-priority is the question, I guess. I get some of my best exposures from my Minolta CLE which I use in A mode, however I find it much less fun than the challenge of using a fully manual M.   Although who knows whether that's just because the M is so much nicer in general.  Either way, A-priority mode could be a selling point for many. 

Also, is this where we finally get IBIS ? 🤣 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Al Brown said:

There must be something new to test.

• andybarton changed the title to New Leica [M6] Film Camera in October? [MERGED]
  • LUF Admin changed the title to New Leica M6 Film Camera