New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an M3 and M4, no reason at all to burn my $ on a new camera body…..unless perhaps it’s a modern M7, that would be interesting. Otherwise, I’m not the target audience for nostalgia ‘how quickly can we separate them from their money’ kind of customer at the prices these new Leica re-issue cameras sell for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, madNbad said:

There is so much speculation because Leica is in the unique position of being the only manufacturer actually capable of delivering a new film camera. They have the engineering, the knowledge and the tooling in addition to being just about the last one standing when it comes to delivering a film camera. None of the other camera manufacturers have any interest in a film body and are streamlining their current offerings.  Whether its a M body or something completely different, it’ll show they understand there still a lot of photographers using film.

Here's a potential challenger.

https://photorumors.com/2022/06/22/more-pictures-of-the-light-lens-lab-barnack-replica-film-camera/

• Thanks 1

There is so much speculation because Leica is in the unique position of being the only manufacturer actually capable of delivering a new film camera. They have the engineering, the knowledge and the tooling in addition to being just about the last one standing when it comes to delivering a film camera. None of the other camera manufacturers have any interest in a film body and are streamlining their current offerings.  Whether its a M body or something completely different, it’ll show they understand there still a lot of photographers using film.

True. In time of writing the ONLY 35mm film rangefinder camera manufacturer in the world.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AvidArchRivals said:

There’s a big difference between an updated copy the scale focus 1F and a long base rangefinder camera. From all reports, LLL makes an outstanding product and I wouldn’t be surprised if they have any amount of success with this camera, we could expect a M2 copy in the next several years. Let’s get back to what’s coming from Wetzlar next month.

22 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Huss,

are you sure it is this one, 14408 ?

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Motor-M

among M other electric thumb, this is the one that has less "kickback" on the shutter button, when I use

Leicavit-M is another "winder" that I appreciate for "better handling", with large/heavy lens mounted,

becoming even heavier combo

Yup that's the one.  Strong kick back through the shutter button on any compatible M that I've used it on.

1 hour ago, AvidArchRivals said:

Challenger to what/who?  Leica moved on from that in the 1950s..  And my gorgeous real 1F only costs $500.

People noticed that focus aids on a camera can be useful.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 12:29 PM, Al Brown said:

Leica does not give a flying f**k about broke hipsters, lol. This product is not marketed at them, and those are few. New Leica "vintage re-releases" are catered to whole lotta different folk who ALSO buy used M6's.

I know.  but you wrote:

Imagine Leica getting back on the M6 bandwagon and milking all those big $$$ that are now lost for them in intense second hand M6 swapping... if so - smart!

How could Leica be milking the used $2500 M6 market by introducing a $6000 M6?  The reason people are buying an M6 for $2500-$3000 is because they cannot afford a new or used MP.  It's not because they wanted a new M6 but had to settle for the used market!

A new M6 will just be a limited edition camera that will sell out because it is a limited edition camera.

1 hour ago, Huss said:

The only maker of quality 35mm film cameras.

Your comment reminded me how much I like my old film SLR’s (Minolta X range), just can’t see how any manufacture could today, beat those products now, given that the volume of sales would never justify the investment. Some things from the past were at a pinnacle not ever to be achieved again. Nevertheless, an M7 would allow me to use my favourite glass.

Edited by Mr.Prime
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr.Prime said:

Your comment reminded me how much I like my old film SLR’s (Minolta X range), just can’t see how any manufacture could today, beat those products now, given that the volume of sales would never justify the investment. Some things from the past were at a pinnacle not ever to be achieved again. Nevertheless, an M7 would allow me to use my favourite glass.

I still use a Minolta XK w the 58 1.2.  I had both the AE and AE-S heads, but sold the AE-S as even though it was 'better' I did not like the exposure readout display in it compared to the original AE head.

4 hours ago, Al Brown said:

We will only be able to tell whether they want a new M6 or not if/when a new M6 will be available. ATM they can only settle for a used one.

First you call them broke hipsters, now these same broke hipsters are going to buy a $6k+ M6?

The buyers of the - if it appears - limited edition M6 will be the same buyers who drop coin on other expensive limited edition gear.

4 hours ago, Huss said:

irst you call them broke hipsters, now these same broke hipsters are going to buy a $6k+ M6?

You got it wrong again. "Broke hipsters" are just a partial segment of the used M6 market segregation, they are mostly unimportant for Leica Camera AG and were used for illustrative purposes of Youtube advertising power. My exact words were: "New Leica vintage re-releases are catered to whole lotta different folk".

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

You got it wrong again. "Broke hipsters" are just a partial segment of the used M6 market segregation, they are mostly unimportant for Leica Camera AG and were used for illustrative purposes of Youtube advertising power. My exact words were: "New Leica vintage re-releases are catered to whole lotta different folk".

so, the whole lotta different folk are the same people with money who buy new Leicas.  Great observation.

It has happened, just as I hinted in post #31 ... The new 35 Summilux with 0.4m close focusing announced. Hope they fixed the CA of FLE.
Spider sense detects more nice stuff on the way.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown

Part of what makes this impending announcement exciting is just perhaps we will see a really new camera from Leica. The MP and M-A are really just modern versions of the M2 that was introduced in 1957. Chevrolet had the hot car, television was black and white, Elvis Presley was on the radio. We all know Leica could modify the MP and have a fortieth anniversary M6, priced at a bargain five grand (pick your currency) and sell every one with most of them ending up in a safe deposit box. The possibility Leica could introduce a totally new film camera is exciting. Would I sell my M4 to buy a new M-A? No, my current camera was built to much more exacting standards. Would I scrape together the cash to buy an updated CM? Let me look around for what can I sell. Whenever Leica has tried to move the needle by making a camera more user friendly, they eventually give in to the traditionalist. It’s time to be bold and give us something really new.

Part of what makes this impending announcement exciting is just perhaps we will see a really new camera from Leica. The MP and M-A are really just modern versions of the M2 that was introduced in 1957. Chevrolet had the hot car, television was black and white, Elvis Presley was on the radio. We all know Leica could modify the MP and have a fortieth anniversary M6, priced at a bargain five grand (pick your currency) and sell every one with most of them ending up in a safe deposit box. The possibility Leica could introduce a totally new film camera is exciting. Would I sell my M4 to buy a new M-A? No, my current camera was built to much more exacting standards. Would I scrape together the cash to buy an updated CM? Let me look around for what can I sell. Whenever Leica has tried to move the needle by making a camera more user friendly, they eventually give in to the traditionalist. It’s time to be bold and give us something really new.

The Bel Air and Mercury Turnpike Cruiser were definitely the most beautiful cars of 1957 and Leica M2 the most awesome camera of the year. Mine is just a year older, from 1958 with button rewind, still in mint condition today thanks to the previous owner. Traditional never goes out of style, just saying...

22 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I do not follow your answer... My gist was about Leica making a new M6 "speculated" product to sell for business and make money as they gain virtually nothing from second hand sales. What was yours?

My point was the same as your point - just worded differently.

"... born at night - but it wasn't last night..." is a similar expression to "...didn't just fall off the turnip truck..."  or "not my first rodeo."  In other words, the gents and ladies in Wetzlar who run the show are seasoned professionals who know what they are doing.

• andybarton changed the title to New Leica [M6] Film Camera in October? [MERGED]
  • LUF Admin changed the title to New Leica M6 Film Camera