New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Whilst this is purely a complete guess, I'm going with

• Interchangeable lens camera, replacing Leica MP 
  • Design styling circa updated M6. But really M6/MP who cares. 
  • Updated shutter 1/4000 
  • No glossy/traditional black paint option. Materials & coatings shared with M11- meaning also that (like M11) the finish will be called 'black paint', but look like black chrome.  Product/Marketing info will stress scratch-resistance/durability, instead of brassing/'memories'  
  • No meaningful upgrade to MP viewfinder 
  • No baseplate (OK that was a joke but wow just imagine) 
  • Lighter than current film M, or at least the black one :P

A-priority mode I'm unsure but I'm going with 'probable'.

I don't really care for any of these btw other than 1/4000 but am excited to see what they put out .   

What are other ideas for updates (realistic ones) that Leica might feel would 'revolutionise' a film M ?  

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, graphlex said:

There must be something new to test.

That's what I'm thinking.  If it was a re-introduced M6 - even if slightly improved (which would make it an MP..) there basically would be nothing to test, per se.  Same old camera with perhaps cosmetic changes.

But for it to be out in the field being tested for 9 months - that suggests an all-new camera where they are making sure to work out the issues.

Again, all pure conjecture!  But for Leica to post a throw back CM photo...

• Like 2

I noticed in the Singapore Leica Store page, the Silver Version of the MP is no longer listed:

See here in Web Archive : https://web.archive.org/web/20211021233001/https://leica-store.sg/products/leica-mp-0-72-silver-chrome-finish

You can't find the product anywhere else here : https://leica-store.sg/collections/leica-m-cameras

Usually they only remove Camera / Lenses that are discontinued, or Special Edition sets that are no longer planned to be re-stocked.

For example, the Black Paint M10-R was still listed until around last month (and yes it was in stock for weeks before they removed the listing).

This time, the removal of the Silver MP is curious because its a current production camera. The Black paint one is still there, suggesting that it may remain as a collectors edition item and the upcoming Film camera would be a Metered, Silver in colour.

How about in other countries, have your Leica store website started to remove the Silver MPs?

7 minutes ago, dsetiono01 said:

I noticed in the Singapore Leica Store page, the Silver Version of the MP is no longer listed:

See here in Web Archive : https://web.archive.org/web/20211021233001/https://leica-store.sg/products/leica-mp-0-72-silver-chrome-finish

You can't find the product anywhere else here : https://leica-store.sg/collections/leica-m-cameras

Usually they only remove Camera / Lenses that are discontinued, or Special Edition sets that are no longer planned to be re-stocked.

For example, the Black Paint M10-R was still listed until around last month (and yes it was in stock for weeks before they removed the listing).

This time, the removal of the Silver MP is curious because its a current production camera. The Black paint one is still there, suggesting that it may remain as a collectors edition item and the upcoming Film camera would be a Metered, Silver in colour.

How about in other countries, have your Leica store website started to remove the Silver MPs?

Nope, not in the US.  Silver MP on the Leica site and at stores.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After looking at that picture on the previous page, note how they are hiding the shutter with film. I am guessing a regular shutter instead of a cloth shutter and the electronics to run it. That would be nice. Faster shutter speeds. Faster flash sync. Auto exposure. The whole traditional thing is worn out in my opinion. If they did that then they could disengage the shutter from a motor drive. Win win.

1 hour ago, dsetiono01 said:

Australia:  
You can "pre-order" MP , both colours (clickable link for payment of 10% deposit)
M-A Silver Chrome is "in-stock" (clickable link for full payment)
M-A Black Chrome is "back-order" (button greyed out, can't click through).   << Does this mean N/A ? 
M-A Titan Set is also "back-order" (button greyed out, can't click through) << we know this means N/A  

Reality is these differences in shopping cart terminology may not mean that much (see recent posts about MP being "available June 2027" in US, etc etc)

Edited by grahamc

vor einer Stunde schrieb patrickjames:

After looking at that picture on the previous page, note how they are hiding the shutter with film. I am guessing a regular shutter instead of a cloth shutter and the electronics to run it. That would be nice. Faster shutter speeds. Faster flash sync. Auto exposure. The whole traditional thing is worn out in my opinion. If they did that then they could disengage the shutter from a motor drive. Win win.

You mean Features from 40 Years ago to be announced as "leica-new"? 🙂

I think the "traditional-thing" is the only reason to buy a new film- Leica.

The M7 was already 25 Years too late (and marked almost the end of Leica...)

18 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Leica Camera has just sent out a newsleter with content & links completely dedicated to film photography. a VERY clear message that something analog is coming.
"It goes without saying that Leica's heritage is in film and the love for the essentials of photography. Visit our website to see tips and stories from the realm of analog photography, that every film enthusiast should know. Because understanding the basics is essential for creating images with a unique aura, that no one can resist."

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That was a clever bit of marketing . . . the hand holding the Leica film camera appears to have an Apple Watch!  

Old and modern?  Or am I reading too much into this?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, grahamc said:

Whilst this is purely a complete guess, I'm going with

• Interchangeable lens camera, replacing Leica MP 
  • Design styling circa updated M6. But really M6/MP who cares. 
  • Updated shutter 1/4000 
  • No glossy/traditional black paint option. Materials & coatings shared with M11- meaning also that (like M11) the finish will be called 'black paint', but look like black chrome.  Product/Marketing info will stress scratch-resistance/durability, instead of brassing/'memories'  
  • No meaningful upgrade to MP viewfinder 
  • No baseplate (OK that was a joke but wow just imagine) 
  • Lighter than current film M, or at least the black one :P

A-priority mode I'm unsure but I'm going with 'probable'.

I don't really care for any of these btw other than 1/4000 but am excited to see what they put out .   

What are other ideas for updates (realistic ones) that Leica might feel would 'revolutionise' a film M ?  

Ima throw what I said earlier in again, all Leica needs to do is make an M version of the FM3a and I would be ecstatic. 1/4000th, AE with full electronic AND full mechanical control at all shutter speeds. I think that would be all it takes to make the best film rangefinder camera ever made.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sunyforreal said:

Ima throw what I said earlier in again, all Leica needs to do is make an M version of the FM3a and I would be ecstatic. 1/4000th, AE with full electronic AND full mechanical control at all shutter speeds. I think that would be all it takes to make the best film rangefinder camera ever made.

I won't argue with that, sounds great 

• Like 1

Leica's business model trades heavily on its heritage, and the M camera is at the heart of that. In the past ten years or so, they've scarcely put a foot wrong, and managed to pull their company back from the brink.

There seems little doubt now that a new M model will be added to the stable. Might they consolidate the M-P and the M-A into a single model which appeals to younger enthusiasts? It could cut down on the overheads. Might there be a red dot? I think so.

But if they re-imagine the film M, give it a metal-bladed shutter, 1/4000th second shutter speed, auto exposure, or even a millimetre thicker or taller dimensions to the body, I think they undermine their legacy. I just can't see it.

• Like 3

Just now, Al Brown said:

Have you had any success ☺️ and how much is this affordable price 🙂?

The affordable comment was mostly a joke. I think a steel rim re-issue for $5k USD would be sold out for a long time. I guess I'd call that "affordable" in Leica dollars 😀 Realistically... I think they would charge more than that.

• andybarton changed the title to New Leica [M6] Film Camera in October? [MERGED]
  • LUF Admin changed the title to New Leica M6 Film Camera