New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, ianman said:

Nothing new, except maybe a vague guess at the release date, all that information was revealed here since January. M6, limited edition, not substantially cheaper than current models.

Going back to this thread, an M6 in limited run of production, most likely going to be brass materials at least, apology to zinc n bubble lovers 

6 hours ago, logan2z said:

More speculation.  This guy seems to imply he has some sort of inside information.

https://www.macfilos.com/2022/09/12/new-leica-film-camera-to-be-announced-in-october/

This seems to be the most interesting bit:

"My information is that the new camera will be a remake of the M6 Classic. The MP, although similar to the M6 Classic, is more expensive to manufacture because of the brass top plate."

So, does that mean that they're actually going to re-release the M6 with the original zinc top plate?? ;) 

You could have conceived a child and be changing  it's nappies by now in the time since that 'news' hit the street.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Haha 4

I may be in the minority, but if I wanted an M6 classic from Leica, I would just… buy an M6. I know they’re getting on in age but you can still find great M6’s for at or around $2500.

What I really want is for Leica to bring something new to the table. Seriously. Anything. Even if it’s a somewhat minor feature.

Edited by Sunyforreal
  • Like 4

Anyone looking for significant innovation in a series of cameras that make a virtue of not changing much since the 1960s has probably bought into the wrong system. I doubt we are likely to see much that you couldn't have had with an à la carte MP, whatever they label it. Reverting to zinc probably makes little sense today - what was cheap in the 1980s may not have the same price advantage today, now that sophisticated CNC machines for working on brass exist, and the zinc moulding equipment they formerly used might no longer be available at the factory. We have seen a claim in another thread that Leica has already made replacement brass top plates for M6s afflicted by zinc corrosion. But who knows, perhaps we'll be surprised.

Just an idea, but the new film M features are already "done".

Why not top plate in aluminium alloy, I'm happy with my very light M262 since start, really tough, nothing to complain.

Base plate must stay in brass for strength ( if it's base open ? ).

🙈

Anyway, I'm sure that Leica will surprise us.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, adan said:

Au contraire. mon ami.

I laugh all the time when non-engineers try to do camera engineering. Funniest thing on the internet outside of UTube videos of dogs trying to chew toffee. ;)

I'm not sure what Logan's profession is, but trying to mock him for mentioning zinc use, which is a material that Leica used before, by stating you are an engineer:

1. Shows you have no sense of humour as that was obviously tongue in cheek

2. Does not demonstrate your engineering prowess as Leica did use it before, even though the results were 'mixed' due to zinc bubbles. Which is the whole point of Logan mentioning it.

3. And let's be honest, is rude.

4 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Why not top plate in aluminium alloy, I'm happy with my very light M262 since start, really tough, nothing to complain

That would probably send just the right message if they wanted to differentiate it further from the MP (and maybe even sell it at some minimally cheaper price), because Leica customers clearly think that brass is 'more premium' (or at least more shiny when the paint comes off).

Edited by Anbaric

I gotta be honest, I'll be really disappointed if after all this it is just a limited edition M6 with no functional changes that moves M film cameras forward.

And if it is a new Fuji Leica Instax, boy will I be pi$$ed! (not really it would just have saved me money)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

That would probably send just the right message if they wanted to differentiate it further from the MP (and maybe even sell it at some minimally cheaper price), because Leica customers clearly think that brass is 'more premium' (or at least more shiny when the paint comes off).

Thanks.

So my idea was not so stupid and easily doable.

Well I go ahead, then ...let's dream 😉.

Beside aluminium top plate, I suggest wind-on lever with plastic articulate tip, slanted rewind crank ...

To be short, new kind of M4-2 with aluminium top, and clear contrasty VF with why not  ... options for x0.58 (M4-5), 0.72 (M4-7) and 0.85 (M4-8).

To be modern and not costing much, the customer can choose rich colors leatherette 🍎🍏🍋🧣 ( free option or few dollars/Euros more ), with black as Standard ( no not my cup of T ? ).

Oh I'm dreaming of new colored "à la carte" M4-2 ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huss said:

I gotta be honest, I'll be really disappointed if after all this it is just a limited edition M6 with no functional changes that moves M film cameras forward.

Aah, the big problem with forums, particularly this one it would seem. Info is leaked that a limited edition M6 is in the works… the forum goes into a frenzy, people loose sight of the original post and discuss/argue endlessly about what they know Leica should do in order to save the company from ruin… months later when it’s finally realised that it was all a dream and the original post becomes reality the discussion inevitably turns to disappointment. And thus the wheels of gas keep turning :)

• Like 2

It’ll have to be profitable of course so making use of existing dies and tooling would make sense. The brass top plate can be outsourced to keep costs down. It’ll have to be brass and painted to satisfy the customer base. Since the M6 was zinc except for the ti which was just plated brass and a few limited editions a new brass top M6 would be something “new”.

• Like 1

Yes the “revisions” I guess will be mostly in materials and also of course modern standards , eg the MP viewfinder . 

However I’m willing to revise my 1/4000 shutter speed Wishlist to 1/2000. Something nice and conservative in the spirit of progress 😁🙏🏻

Edited by grahamc

1 hour ago, rtai said:

It’ll have to be profitable of course so making use of existing dies and tooling would make sense. The brass top plate can be outsourced to keep costs down. It’ll have to be brass and painted to satisfy the customer base. Since the M6 was zinc except for the ti which was just plated brass and a few limited editions a new brass top M6 would be something “new”.

Agree that it would be very nice in brass and let’s hope so  

Whether the titanium M6 classics were brass top plates was a source of much debate, my own opinion (and it is just that as the debate was extensive) after much research and articles read was that they weren’t.

The limited edition M6 TTL titanium though were certainly made of brass tops as they were produced in the same runs as the many varieties of TTL black paint special editions in and around y2000. (Millennium, Dragon, LHSA, NSH and a few more, + titanium).  Because that was beyond doubt I bought the Titan TTL as I was keen for a brass-topped camera. 

So agree a smaller shaped M6 classic with brass top would be attractive for many of us I think.  The only classic M6 edition I know of that was brass topped (for sure with no debate) is the M6J edition which doesn’t look like M6 

Edited by grahamc

1 minute ago, grahamc said:

True. And as if anyone “really” cares, particularly not the majority 

I have a few ‘brass’ Ms, and briefly used an M6.  Like my Ms,  I was impressed by how nice it felt to use. And that’s with me knowing It had zinc in it!

• Like 1