New Leica M6 Film Camera

1 hour ago, jsrockit said:

Huh? have you looked at the 90s to Early 2000 P&S prices lately?  Contax T2 and T3, Leica CM?  

Even cameras like my Fuji Klasse W are getting really expensive.  That Fuji has a superb lens, and really good exposure compensation dial which I use all the time.  I wish other cameras had one as easy to use!

Downsides to it is the exposure read out in the VF is impossible to see in bright light, the AF is slooooow (weird because I have much cheaper P&S cameras which are much faster), and the build quality is, well, cheap.

Pic taken w Klasse W and C200.

I'd love to see a new CM type film camera.  That will address an untapped market, people currently are dropping $2K + on Contaxes with no warranties or chance of repair.

A 'new' M6 would just be more of the same unless it actually has new features (shutter, meter etc)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Al Brown said:

It has happened, just as I hinted in post #31 ... The new 35 Summilux with 0.4m close focusing announced. Hope they fixed the CA of FLE.
Spider sense detects more nice stuff on the way.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Does it come with goggles? My M4 only focuses to .07.

3 minutes ago, madNbad said:

Does it come with goggles? My M4 only focuses to .07.

This suggests that the new breed of M lenses are designed for EVFs.  So, an M w an EVF, an SL type camera, or the new M w built in EVF... say whaaaaat?!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Huss said:

live view is evf.  one is on the back of the camera, the other is a vf.  Both operate as live view.

Display is not a viewfinder. "An electronic viewfinder (EVF) is a camera viewfinder where the image captured by the lens is displayed on a small screen (usually LCD or OLED) which the photographer can look through when composing their shot. It differs from a live preview screen in being smaller and shaded from ambient light".

Just now, Al Brown said:

Display is not a viewfinder. "An electronic viewfinder (EVF) is a camera viewfinder where the image captured by the lens is displayed on a small screen (usually LCD or OLED) which the photographer can look through when composing their shot. It differs from a live preview screen in being smaller and shaded from ambient light".

yeah I get that.  but they both operate as live view - you are seeing what the sensor is seeing. whether your view of it is shaded or not.  

3 minutes ago, madNbad said:

The latest batch of Voigtlander Ultrons focus to .05. Really good on a film body even better on an SL-2 but this thread is about a new film Leica.

yeah, and no film Leica is going to focus closer than .7m with the rangefinder.

Leica is not introducing these new lenses for film Ms, but for their digital market.  Being able to use it on a film M is a bonus, even if you cannot focus closer than .7m using the RF.

36 minutes ago, Huss said:

yeah, and no film Leica is going to focus closer than .7m with the rangefinder.

Leica is not introducing these new lenses for film Ms, but for their digital market.  Being able to use it on a film M is a bonus, even if you cannot focus closer than .7m using the RF.

Leica has been modifying lenses for digital since the introduction of the M8 and this is the next step. It's still a pain for those of us use to the hard stop at minimum focus. 

• Like 2

Film experience is totally different than digital. I shoot M11 and also MP and M3. They are totally different shooting experience. I thought my MP would be able to replace M3, but I was wrong. M3 can never be replaced by any other film cameras. Film now is a more or less niche market. I also shoot Contax T3 and sometimes Nikon EM or FG (in my humble opinion, shooting a 50 dollar Nikon EM is a much better experience than the Contax T3). It's all about experience and feelings. So if there has to be a new film Leica coming out, it better has more to do with the shooting experience...

• Like 3

More speculation.  This guy seems to imply he has some sort of inside information.

https://www.macfilos.com/2022/09/12/new-leica-film-camera-to-be-announced-in-october/

This seems to be the most interesting bit:

"My information is that the new camera will be a remake of the M6 Classic. The MP, although similar to the M6 Classic, is more expensive to manufacture because of the brass top plate."

So, does that mean that they're actually going to re-release the M6 with the original zinc top plate?? ;) 

57 minutes ago, logan2z said:

So, does that mean that they're actually going to re-release the M6 with the original zinc top plate?? ;) 

Or steel. Or aluminum (see black M11). Or titanium. Or magnesium. Or an alloy of those.

Take a look at the periodic table sometime - there are lots of suitable metals in existence. ;)

1 hour ago, adan said:

Or steel. Or aluminum (see black M11). Or titanium. Or magnesium. Or an alloy of those.

Take a look at the periodic table sometime - there are lots of suitable metals in existence. ;)

Br U H, Not that I am Ne R Dy but O Mg those Leicas with non-standard elements are so Cu Te... I know, I know, these chemistry Jo K Es are Co Rn Y but luckily they only come around periodically.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, logan2z said:

More speculation.  This guy seems to imply he has some sort of inside information.

https://www.macfilos.com/2022/09/12/new-leica-film-camera-to-be-announced-in-october/

This seems to be the most interesting bit:

"My information is that the new camera will be a remake of the M6 Classic. The MP, although similar to the M6 Classic, is more expensive to manufacture because of the brass top plate."

Nothing new, except maybe a vague guess at the release date, all that information was revealed here since January. M6, limited edition, not substantially cheaper than current models.

• andybarton changed the title to New Leica [M6] Film Camera in October? [MERGED]
  • LUF Admin changed the title to New Leica M6 Film Camera