Officially announced: discontinued!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m not sure why everyone’s getting in a froth over this.  We had already surmised as much. Companies routinely discontinue product lines when it fits the strategy.  The statement is somewhat poorly worded and ambiguous.  I took it to mean that a customer buying a new CL in the future would have a guaranteed 6 years of repair-ability.  So someone getting a new CL in 2025 (assuming they can find such a thing, as production probably stopped some time back) will have support until 2031.  

In my case my CL is about 3 years old, and the statement does not say what I can expect.  It would be a mistake to assume that the company plans to refuse service after 2025.  That is not what they are saying.  I rather think Leica does not know the answer itself, but depending on demand, I could reasonably expect service for quite a few years to come.  But who knows?

My next camera will probably be a Q3, or just possibly an SL3 if the SL can shed most of its weight and bulk.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

the real problem is about the first T lenses from 2014 !! they are already out of the 6 years range. 

Just a thought, but as T/TL/CLlenses fit L-mount cameras they should still be supported until that is that curret full frame cameras no longer offer a crop mode with them.

• Like 1

But they are talking about the CL/TL2 system. Not body only. 
I guess that they phased out production of everything including lenses. 
There are only so much parts left for the foreseeable future. 
It is a nightmare, TL lenses should have been able to hold value, but with only 6 years at most of repairability, they are doomed. 

vor 32 Minuten schrieb Peter Wright:

I’m not sure why everyone’s getting in a froth over this.  We had already surmised as much. Companies routinely discontinue product lines when it fits the strategy.  The statement is somewhat poorly worded and ambiguous.  I took it to mean that a customer buying a new CL in the future would have a guaranteed 6 years of repair-ability.  So someone getting a new CL in 2025 (assuming they can find such a thing, as production probably stopped some time back) will have support until 2031.  

This sounds reasonable to me and is what I would read from the statement as well ... (hoping this is the case for all CL owners)

Edited by Alexander-HH
  • Like 1

please don't be more catholic than the Pope. Cowards do not deserve your help. They still did not found courage to announced it directly to their customers and distributors the fate of CL/TL2 system

I really hate those kind of internal memo. "Should you be approached" 

Really ? otherwise please say nothing. Shame on you Leica, for trying to hide the APS-C death. 

They don't want to discount the last remaining CL and TL2, so they keep quiet and hope to con one or two last customers. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I’ve started buying/using M lenses on my CL. As much as I like the L mount lenses, I think I may now be investing more in M lenses going forward. A real shame as the CL is a great system that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed using over the past year. At least there will be a bit of life in it yet 😉

• Like 2

Nor Nikon 

m4/3 still dare existing today ! Olympus and Panasonic are too stubborn. 

Canon is completely crazy to launch RF-S next week (APS-C version of RF) with professional R7 and amateur R10. 

Leica is now the stupid one giving up the most sold sensor format by far. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb nicci78:

please don't be more catholic than the Pope. Cowards do not deserve your help.

oh well, I was just trying to share another option on what the 6 year period in the memo could possibly mean 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Alexander-HH
  • Like 1

Anyone surprised by the existence of such an internal memo hasn't spent much time in the business world of today. This isn't just common practice, it's good business. Leica employees and reps need to be prepped for the onslaught of questions, which, evidently, already have strong emotions at their core. This is essential employee training -- not written for consumer consumption.

Also, as this isn't an announcement, why would we assume that they'll not inform (i.e. announce) this discontinuation to their customers? They may, or, perhaps, they won't. I own hundreds of electronics and can't remember the last time any of them sent a letter informing me of their discontinuation. If the expiration of their serviceability was approaching, sure, I'd appreciate that note, but this memo isn't that. When service comes to a close, let's hope that they'll treat it with respect. I doubt I'll still have the CL at that point, but who knows.

But consider Leica's situation. iPhones and higher-quality, entry-level cameras have pushed APS-C out of the market as many former customers either accept their iPhone's quality or move up to full frame. The middle ground has diminished, as often happens in life. It's a numbers game, and, apparently, this sector wasn't profitable for Leica, so they've stopped making them. It's not a good feeling, but one we must certainly by now have learned to expect. Personally, it's not pleasing to know that a camera I own, and use, is on its way out, but such is the way of technology. I'm accustomed to this.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

If you read the memo between the lines this is further proof that Leica's marketing and customer relations is poorly thought out and poorly managed. But we knew that 6 months ago. As I've said elsewhere the demise of the CL and how Leica has handled it, is a casebook study of how not to do it. But they will pay in the end when they lose the loyalty of long standing customers like Jaap.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, elambo said:

Anyone surprised by the existence of such an internal memo hasn't spent much time in the business world of today. This isn't just common practice, it's good business. Leica employees and reps need to be prepped for the onslaught of questions, which, evidently, already have strong emotions at their core. This is essential employee training -- not written for consumer consumption.

Also, as this isn't an announcement, why would we assume that they'll not inform (i.e. announce) this discontinuation to their customers? They may, or, perhaps, they won't. I own hundreds of electronics and can't remember the last time any of them sent a letter informing me of their discontinuation. If the expiration of their serviceability was approaching, sure, I'd appreciate that note, but this memo isn't that. When service comes to a close, let's hope that they'll treat it with respect. I doubt I'll still have the CL at that point, but who knows.

But consider Leica's situation. iPhones and higher-quality, entry-level cameras have pushed APS-C out of the market as many former customers either accept their iPhone's quality or move up to full frame. The middle ground has diminished, as often happens in life. It's a numbers game, and, apparently, this sector wasn't profitable for Leica, so they've stopped making them. It's not a good feeling, but one we must certainly by now have learned to expect. Personally, it's not pleasing to know that a camera I own, and use, is on its way out, but such is the way of technology. I'm accustomed to this.

Yes, I can understand that (as I said) and accept it - but my gripe is with the shabby treatment of their customers regarding service - and the suggestion to present an unwarranted reduction as a positive message.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lct said:

Sorry to repeat my mantra but there is no market for expensive crop gear. Crop yes. Expensive yes. But crop + expensive no.

So, 24 by 36 mm is a rather severe crop of - say - 9 x 12 cm, so there's no market for expensive FF gear?

• Like 1